- can quickly burn Storm Spirit's mana, preventing him from escaping.
- allows Anti-Mage to catch up to Storm Spirit when he tries to use his Ball Lightning to escape.
- deals massive damage to Storm Spirit as well as his teammates, as Storm Spirit depletes his mana pool by using Ball Lightning.
- magic resistance reduces much of Storm Spirit's magical damage dealt to Anti-Mage, and the active aspect may even make Storm Spirit disable himself. 's passive
- prevents Storm Spirit from using all of his abilities and items, rendering Storm Spirit useless in a fight.
- absorbs up to 500 magical damage (700 with Level 10 talents), which helps Ember Spirit survive and react to Storm Spirit's high magical damage.
- can root enemies up to 3 seconds, making Storm Spirit unable to escape with Ball Lightning.
- deals high magical damage when casting multiple instances at once, granting Ember Spirit the damage to burst Storm Spirit down in the early to mid game.
- is a silence that can last up to 8 seconds during night, rendering Storm Spirit tied limited to his items in a fight.
- allows Night Stalker to initiate on Storm Spirit across the impassable terrain around the middle lane, rendering Storm vulnerable in the early game and prevent him from snowballing.
- is capable of removing most of Storm Spirit's large mana pool, along with dealing heavy damage and quickly depleting his chances of escaping a gank or fight.
- prevents Storm Spirit from using his abilities once inside the radius. Riki can utilize this ability to allow his team to fight around Smoke Screen so that Storm Spirit cannot spam his spells to proc Overload.
- Silencer's can reduce Storm Spirit's damage output if he gets some kills on laning phase.
- and will make Storm Spirit an easy target.
- can be used to block Storm Spirit from connecting abilities after a Ball Lightning on his targets.
- If Storm Spirit isn't careful, he could fall into a trap set by Techies and another hero acting as bait.
- roots Storm Spirit for 2/3/4/5 seconds, which could be the end of Storm Spirit since he can't use Ball Lightning to escape.
- Any heroes with stuns or silences: , , ,
- Heroes with mana burn: , , ,
- (and its upgrade ) counters Storm Spirit, not only making him completely helpless but also dealing additional damage. Consider buying this on heroes that build a standard orchid and enjoy attacking at the same time.
- will stop a Storm Spirit from doing anything for 3.5 seconds, giving allies enough time to nuke a Storm Spirit down or lock him down further.
- root will cause difficulty for a Storm Spirit when trying to escape/initiate. 's long range
- is a superb item for supports who want to be able to survive storm spirits initiation.
- Ancient Apparition's only skill to stop Storm Spirit is Cold Feet, which is bad in general when trying to stop a Storm Spirit without any other disable.
- As a fragile support with low Strength gain and no magic resistance, Ancient Apparition is vulnerable to Storm Spirit's combos.
- Storm Spirit can hunt down Arc Warden with his Ball Lightning and kill him quickly due to his lack of escape abilities.
- None of his abilities are effective against Storm Spirit, as they can be evaded with Ball Lightning.
- Storm Spirit is invulnerable during Ball Lightning, rendering ineffective against him.
- Storm Spirit's abilities all do magical damage, which can bypass .
- Ball Lightning can escape through and it is easy to dodge .
- Ball Lightning allows Storm Spirit to destroy a large amount of trees, negating . It also makes it easy to avoid and .
- Ball Lightning with or without the Static Remnant talent allows Storm Spirit to destroy Phantom Lancer's illusions quickly. It is also easy to dodge with Ball Lightning and makes Spirit Storm very hard to catch even with .
- Ball Lightning breaks .
- Razor has no way to catch a slippery Storm Spirit.
- Sniper is very squishy and cannot deal with heroes that jump onto him and lock him down. Storm Spirit closes the gap in a fight against Sniper, and Sniper has no way to escape except for some items.
- Storm Spirit can dodge with a correctly timed Ball Lightning.
- Ball Lightning is the ultimate counter to Spectre's entire toolkit. With this ability, he can score easy kills on Spectre without her having any means of escape early game, kite her and her illusions when it's later in the game due to her having no form of pseudo-blinks. Furthermore, it is very difficult for Spectre to deal any substantial damage against Storm Spirit with , and without both a and a he will always remain on the move. Also, Ball Lightning grants invulnerability, and as Storm Spirit likes to spam that ability, he can mitigate the damage done from and .
- Terrorblade has low mobility, which makes it easy for Storm Spirit to kite him.
- Terrorblade gains a lot of agility and gains very low strength, which makes it easy to burst him down with Storm's magical damage.
- All of Terrorblade's abilities are easily avoided by Storm Spirit as he can simply use Ball Lightning, wasting the duration of , , and .
- However, if Storm Spirit's is on cooldown or if he doesn't have it, Terrorblade can easily use and kill a careless Storm Spirit.
- Storm Spirit destroys trees and ignores impassable terrains with Ball Lightning, rendering them dangerous places for Tinker to hide within.
- Ball Lightning disjoints projectile from and damage from .
- Electric Vortex prevents Tinker from teleporting away, and Static Remnant and Overload can easily burst him down.
- Ball Lightning disjoints an incoming , avoids , and allows Storm Spirit to easily escape if he ever gets ped.
- Ball Lightning allows Storm Spirit to escape through , wasting Viper's mana.
- It's also very easy to wait out the duration of break until Viper picks the level 25 silence talent. 's
- Ball Lightning allows Storm Spirit to close the gap between him and Weaver in no time. Once locked down with certain items, Weaver is extremely fragile to Storm Spirit and his teammates.
- Squishy heroes or heroes without hard disables or silences: , , , etc.
- Heroes that rely on their high mobility such as true sight items (such as or ) for invisible heroes that could potentially escape your clutches. , and can be constantly engaged against due to your excellent ability to chase over any terrain. Make sure you carry
Works well with...
- In the early game, the occasional cast of can top up Storm Spirit's mana pool, and allow him to leverage one or two more spells in between runes.
- allows you to jump in and wreak havoc on enemies with little fear of being disabled. Omniknight's heal keeps Storm Spirit alive and can damage enemies Storm Spirit engages with his pull.
- The Lifestealer bomb combo can come in handy in a game, as Lifestealer and Overload make for a highly damaging combo against lone targets and is the perfect way for the otherwise immobile Lifestealer to engage in melee combat.
- Tanky intiators that can disable groups of enemies and bear the brunt of spells and disables, allowing you to zip in to weakened or squishy targets and kill them without fear of rebuttal: Clockwerk, Centaur Warrunner, Tidehunter.