Pudge is potentially one of the strongest gankers and disablers in the entire game, with his combo of three active abilities proving more than sufficient to kill fragile enemy heroes in the early and mid-game. His signature ability, Meat Hook, is a grapple that is thrown out in a straight line; if it snags a target, it will drag them back to Pudge, dealing enormous damage to it if it was an enemy. Although it can be difficult to land and often requires a good read on the enemy's movements, it is a very powerful ganking and initiation spell due to its ability to displace enemies, and also has the utility of being able to save an endangered ally. He can then follow up with his ultimate, Dismember, a channeled disable that deals further damage to the target over a few seconds and increases in lethality the more strength Pudge has, while also healing Pudge for its duration. During this period, he can activate Rot to deal even more damage while he is consuming his foe, and use it to slow and finish them off if they survive the initial assault. Rot is also a very potent ability even from the start of the game, as it can slow an enemy to a crawl and be used indefinitely as long as Pudge keeps pace with the enemy, making Pudge a strong roamer. To supplement his killing power is Flesh Heap,. The scariest aspect of Flesh Heap though, is that it provides him with a permanent strength bonus with every kill that he participates in, making him harder to kill and increasing the damage of Dismember as the game goes on. A skilled Pudge player is feared by many, as he can quickly snowball out of control, cripple the enemy team, and become an unstoppable behemoth of rotting flesh.
- The Meat Hook travels at a speed of 1450, taking 0.9 seconds to reach maximum distance.
- Pudge receives the disables Pudge.
buff upon cast, which
- The duration of this modifier equals the time it takes for the hook to reach 66% of its max travel distance.
- This means with the default max distance of 1300, the self-disabling modifier lasts 0.59 seconds.
- The duration is based on the max distance (including range bonuses). It does not matter for how far the hook actually travels.
- This means when latching on a unit directly in front of Pudge, the self-disable still lasts its full duration.
- The hook can hit units up to 1400 range away (max travel distance + search radius).
- The search radius is centered around the hook's tip. Getting close to other parts of the hook has no effect.
- Can only affect units while extending, not while retracting. Fully affects invisible units.
- The hook flies through impassable terrain and trees. It also can drag units over them.
- Hooked enemies are fully disabled for the entire pull duration.
- Allies are not disabled. They can act freely while being pulled by the hook.
- When the hook hits a unit, it provides 500 radius flying vision at the unit's location upon hit for 4 seconds.
- Runes can be hooked as well. Doing so refunds the mana spent on the hook.
- Rot does not interrupt Pudge's channeling spells upon toggling.
- The self-damage is lethal, so it can be used to deny oneself.
- The area damage and self-damage are independent from each other, so when the self-damage is blocked, the area damage is still applied.
- The slow and damage are provided by an aura. This aura debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- When an enemy leaves the area, the lingering debuff continues slowing and damaging until expiring.
- When Rot gets toggled off, the lingering debuff only slows, but stops dealing damage.
- Deals 6/12/18/24 ( 13/19/25/31) damage in 0.2 second intervals. The time intervals are set for the whole game when Rot is toggled the first time.
- Can regenerate up to 300/480/660/840 health in one minute.
- Denied enemy heroes grant a stack as well, as long as it happens within 450 range of Pudge.
- Does not grant strength if the dying hero has Reincarnation, or is an illusion or , or if Pudge is dead as the kill happens.
- Does grant strength for clones, but only one stack, regardless of how many clones were nearby.
- To gain strength from outside the vicinity radius, Pudge has to make the killing blow himself. His summons or illusions do not count.
- Each stack effectively grants 20/30/40/50 health, 0.1/0.15/0.2/0.25 health regen, 0.08%/0.12%/0.16%/0.2% magic resistance, and 1/1.5/2/2.5 attack damage.
- The talent increases these to 60/70/80/90 health, 0.3/0.35/0.4/0.45 health regen, 0.24%/0.28%/0.32%/0.36% magic resistance, and 3/3.5/4/4.5 attack damage.
- The number of stacks and amount of strength gained can be seen on the status buff icon.
- Upon leveling Flesh Heap, all stacks adapt to its new level.
- Upon gaining a stack, a red "+1" appears above Pudge's head, indicating that he gained a stack.
- Pulls the target closer to Pudge at a speed of 75. The pull debuff disappears when the target gets within 125 range of Pudge.
- Provides True Sight over the target, but only when the target was not invisible or within a fade time upon cast.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting immediately upon cast, resulting in up to 3 ( 6) (6 ( 9) against non-heroes) damage instances.
- Can deal up to 180/270/360 + 90%/180%/270% ( 360/540/720 + 180%/360%/540%) of own strength as damage to the target hero (before reductions).
- Can deal up to 360/540/720 + 180%/360%/540% ( 540/810/1080 + 270%/540%/810%) of own strength as damage to the target non-hero unit (before reductions).
- Also heals Pudge for the same amount when fully channeled.
- The damage and heal work independently from each other, meaning it always heals for the full amount per interval, regardless of how much damage the target takes.
- Pudge's Dismember responses are global and audible to everyone, even through the Fog of War.
|15% Cooldown Reduction||20||+180 Gold/Min|
|+16%Slow||15||13% Spell Lifesteal|
|+35Damage||10||+30% XP Gain|
- The spell lifesteal talent stacks additively with other sources of spell lifesteal.
- The spell lifesteal talent heals for 2.6% from non-hero units. Treats creep-heroes as creeps and does not heal off of illusions.
- The cooldown reduction talent stacks multiplicatively with and additively other sources of cooldown reduction.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- allows Pudge to replenish his HP from enemy harass, preventing him from being easily harassed out of lane.
- heals Pudge so he can keep using Rot.
- allows Pudge to restore his mana, particularly important as Meat Hook costs a significant amount of mana and being able to cast it more than once in the laning stage allows him to be far more useful.
- provides movement speed to walk down enemies with Rot; it builds into Tranquil Boots or Spirit Vessel.
- gives Pudge burst health and mana. In particular, the mana can allow him to use Meat Hook one more time even if his mana pool is completely empty, which can score crucial kills in critical situations.
- is important to get early on, as Pudge's abysmal movement speed means he has trouble chasing enemies. It allows Pudge to more easily move into position to cast his spells.
- is important to have on Pudge at all times. Being able to globally re-position around the map to react to enemy movements can give him many more opportunities to gank lone enemies or cripple them in teamfights.
- gains vision on the enemy, allowing him to position himself to hit them with Meat Hook.
- helps take away enemy vision, preventing them from spotting his approaches and dodging Meat Hook attemps.
- gives Pudge additional attributes and increased charge storage. Both can greatly aid Pudge in granting him survivability and allowing him to more easily cast spells, as a fully-charged Magic Wand can often be all that he needs in order to pull off his full spell combo.
- are cheap, and give Pudge all the bonuses that he needs. The improved movement speed grants increased map mobility and helps him to position for casting Meat Hook from suitable angles. The HP regen keeps his HP topped up, and most importantly mitigates the HP cost of Rot.
- provides mana for Meat Hook, as well as easing self-denying with Rot.
- provides strength for additional HP and base damage, and mana regen to help maintain his mana pool. Charges can be easily acquired through successful ganks, and can be utilized either to heal Pudge and his teammates after successful ganks, particularly to recoup the HP cost of Rot, or can be targeted on enemies as an additional damage over time to increase the odds of success of future ganks.
- grants magic resistance, reducing the amount of damage that Rot deals to Pudge, and extra HP regen to further mitigate its HP cost. It greatly boosts the effectiveness of Flesh Heap, allowing Pudge to easily shrug off magic nukes and make further use of the bonus strength.
- increases the size of his mana pool, as well as providing mana regen. Its main utility, however, is in increasing Meat Hook's range up to 1500, allowing him to snag enemies from further away.
- , upgraded from Urn of Shadows, grants Pudge more health and movement speed. The active ability damages and counters enemy healing, taking down targets easily in ganks.
- significantly augments the utility of Meat Hook, greatly reducing its cooldown and increasing its damage. It also provides additional attributes, most importantly more mana to mitigate the strain that repeated casting of Meat Hook places on Pudge's mana pool.
- is crucial to purchase early on as a mid Pudge, as he is easy to harass and requires HP and mana sustain. As well, the runes can help him to gank enemies more easily, and refill the Bottle's charges to allow Pudge to roam independently.
- , upgraded from Hood of Defiance, provides teamfight utility to Pudge's team. Insight Aura further boosts Pudge's magic resistance and HP regen, while the active can improve teammates' survivability against enemy magic nukes.
- root an enemy from far away, making them easy targets for Meat Hook. improves Pudge's disable potential while providing many strong bonuses at a cost-effective price. The increased intelligence greatly boosts Pudge's ability to cast his spell combo, while the increased HP makes him even tankier. The active's long range allows Pudge to
- allows Pudge to easily position himself for casting Meat Hook. It should be considered a core item if farm permits.
- is an easily built support-utility item that greatly improves Pudge's mobility while providing useful bonuses. The intelligence helps him with casting his spells, while the HP regen aids in mitigating Rot's HP cost. The active allows Pudge to re-position himself for casting Meat Hook, save allies who are fleeing from enemies, and even break an enemy's Linken's Sphere prior to casting Dismember.
- is a useful survivability item on Pudge. It boosts his armor, giving him survivability against physical damage, and boosts his intelligence to give him more mana for casting spells. The active allows Pudge to use his large HP pool offensively during ganks and teamfights, discouraging enemies from casting counter-nukes against him.
- grants attributes and protects Pudge from physical attacks.
- gives Pudge attributes. In particular, the extra intelligence aids with casting, while the active boosts his movement speed to aid with positioning and chasing.
- is a very strong survivability and disabling item that allows Pudge to use the enemy's spells against them. It provides HP and mana regen, both of which are very useful for maintaining Pudge's health and mana, while the bonus armor aids in survivability against physical damage. Echo Shell can be cast on allies to discourage enemies from targeting them with spells, or can be cast on Pudge himself prior to Dismember to allow him to reflect enemy disables should they try to interrupt him.
- greatly improves Pudge's survivability against physical damage. The bonus armor and enemy attack speed reduction make Pudge much tankier, while the bonus intelligence greatly improves his ability to cast spells over prolonged periods of time. The active can act as a damage nuke and slow, allowing Pudge to further reduce enemies' movement speed on top of Rot.
- greatly improves Pudge's strength and HP, making him far more difficult to kill and augmenting the amount of damage that Dismember deals. The passive also allows him to quickly regenerate HP between engagements, and allows him to ignore the HP cost of Rot.
- provides aids ganking with additional movement speed and invisibility.
- can be a wise investment on Pudge depending on the enemy lineup. Pudge's inherent tankiness ensures that it does not easily fall into enemy hands, and the detection allows him to de-ward enemy vision and catch invisible heroes more easily.
- can be a useful utility item in Pudge's hands. Improving Pudge's magic resistance reduces the impact of Rot on his HP pool, while the active can aid in invisible initiations and escapes, for allies and Pudge himself. The active also lets Pudge shield himself while channeling Dismember, reducing the odds of enemies hitting him with targeted disables.
- is a strong utility item that gives Pudge more teamfight contribution. His tanky nature means that he greatly benefits from the damage block and bonus armor, while the bonus HP helps to make him even harder to kill. The active gives damage block to his entire team, useful for increasing their survivability during a teamfight.
- give Pudge increased survivability and teamfight utility. The heal and mana replenishment greatly aid Pudge and his allies in teamfights, and the aura tremendously improves survivability. The active also removes debuffs from Pudge instantly, allowing him to contribute more effectively in teamfights.
- is an expensive investment, but greatly improves Pudge's ganking prowess. It gives a great amount of intelligence and mana regen, ensuring that Pudge can cast his disables whenever needed. The Hex allows him to instantly hard-disable an enemy at range, which makes them an easy victim for a follow-up Dismember without needing to immediately expend Meat Hook.
|Roles:||Disabler Initiator Durable Nuker|
|Playstyle:||The Butcher loomed over the field, strewn with dead and dying, his body swaying with heaped flesh. Swish, thunk. Pudge hacks tendon from joint, flesh from bone, and gobbles down his grisly harvest. But carcasses were no substitute for fresh meat. So the Butcher lies in wait, peering through foliage with beady eyes. Was it food or foe? Pudge rarely made the distinction. His Meat Hook sails through the air, dragging the prey across the river with a savage yank. Disoriented, the meat stumbles, gagging on a sudden stench of Rot. It looks up at the fleshy hulk, hoping for an answer, only to watch the cleaver fall as the Butcher Dismembers his next meal in a bloody slaughter.|
- During The International 2015, Dendi wore a Pudge costume while playing in the All-Star Match.
- Pudge's line upon landing a hook on an enemy ▶️ ▶️ ▶️ "Get over here!" is a reference to the character Scorpion from the Mortal Kombat franchise, who uses the same line upon hitting his enemy with a similar hook ability.
- Pudge's line ▶️ "Keep calm and carrion!" is a play on the World War 2 British Propaganda phrase "Keep calm and carry on".
- The reason Pudge's voice lines are done in a Cockney accent might be the popular rhyming slang term that stands for "look"; "butcher's hook", incidentally representing Pudge's signature move.
- Most of Pudge's ▶️ "Fresh meat!") are a reference to The Butcher from Diablo, a title from Blizzard Entertainment, who also says ▶️ "Fresh Meat" as the player meets it the first time.
cast lines (
- In DotA1, the exact same sound is used by Pudge upon casting Dismember.