- hinders Nyx Assassin's ganking attempts with Vendetta, making him an easy kill for gold as well.
- hinders Nyx Assassin's ganking attempts with Vendetta, as well as reducing his armor.
- is always a threat to Nyx Assassin, hindering his attempt of escape using Vendetta.
- also prevents Nyx Assassin from escaping with Vendetta, as it forces him to stay still.
- completely negates all of Nyx Assassin's abilities except Vendetta.
- combined with an ancient creep makes Nyx Assassin an easy target with or a .
- completely counters all of Nyx Assassin's abilities except Vendetta.
- makes quick work of Nyx Assassin.
- Both Blade Fury and Omnislash ignores Spiked Carapace.
- leaves the ability-dependent Nyx Assassin very vulnerable.
- With and , Night Stalker can easily spot an incoming Nyx Assassin.
- Familiars deal many instances of damage quickly, minimizing the effectiveness of Spiked Carapace. They are, however, relatively fragile and can be killed quickly with Nyx Assassin's high burst damage, especially from Vendetta.
- and tanky item builds make him hard to kill with burst damage.
- Visage's long range on and make him hard to escape from, and 's low cooldown outmatches Spiked Carapace.
- on Arc Warden and his will reveal Nyx Assassin and quickly drain his mana.
- Spiked Carapace has a short duration, so Arc Warden can use other units in his control to slow Nyx Assassin down.
- Arc Warden can farm and faster than Nyx and can use them twice thanks to , letting him out-burst Nyx Assassin.
- blocks Nyx Assassin burst damage.
- Any hero with damage over time abilities can easily pierce Spiked Carapace and damage Nyx Assassin; however, this also means they are easily stunned.
- Heroes with high HP easily shrug off Nyx Assassin's burst damage and fend him off.
- Mana Burn is useless against heroes that are not relying on abilities.
- Nyx Assassin is ability-dependent and thus vulnerable to silence, especially while Burrowed.
- Detection items ( , , , ) prevent Nyx Assassin from using Vendetta to initiate or escape.
- blocks most of Nyx Assassin's damage.
- can waste Nyx's Spiked Carapace, since its duration is shorter than the Cyclone's.
- Any good strength/health item like , or even can completely eliminate Nyx's solo ganking as a threat.
- protects multiple heroes from Nyx Assassin's spell damage.
- discourages Nyx Assassin from targeting a hero with spells or items. However, Nyx Assassin can punish this in return with Spiked Carapace.
- is easy to reflect with Spiked Carapace, either stunning Puck and setting up an easy Impale or forcing a premature .
- Puck is an intelligence hero that tends to build intelligence items, making it vulnerable to Mana Burn.
- An ill-timed can easily set Puck up to be stunned by Impale.
- Puck's low base armor and below average agility gain mean it is always susceptible to Vendetta.
- Spike Carapace easily interrupts .
- 's damage over time sets up an easy Spiked Carapace stun.
- Crystal Maiden is extremely fragile and dies quickly to Nyx Assassin's burst damage.
- is easy to reflect with Spiked Carapace for massive damage.
- 's area damage can set up an easy stun with Spiked Carapace, especially when combined with Vendetta.
- In the early game, Sniper's low health pool and high intelligence makes him easy prey for Nyx Assassin.
- Enigma's uncontrollable damage from and make him easy to stun with Spiked Carapace.
- can be easily interrupted by Impale or Spiked Carapace.
- Spiked Carapace reacts on any of Phoenix's damage over time to interrupt and .
- Spiked Carapace can be easily triggered by or , setting up a deadly Impale.
- Mana Burn removes much-needed mana for .
- Spiked Carapace triggers on for an easy stun.
- Mana Burn quickly destroys , especially if Medusa only increases her mana pool by bolstering Intelligence, however this greatly increases Mana Burn's damage.
- Uncontrollable damage from and can trigger Spiked Carapace.
- lacks single target damage, making a Burrowed Nyx Assassin hard to kill.
- All of Nyx Assassin's skills can penetrate True Strike. , as Vendetta attacks have
- Spiked Carapace can potentially reflect for heavy damage.
- and allow easy Spiked Carapace stuns.
- As a fragile hero that relies on mana and intelligence items, Tinker is vulnerable to Mana Burn.
- Nyx Assassin's stuns can interrupt and leave Tinker helpless.
- Outworld Devourer's high intelligence gain and fragility makes him an easy target for Mana Burn, as well as killing him outwards with Nyx Assassin's high burst damage.
- can be easily exploited by Nyx Assassin with his abilities. As long as Astral Imprisonment was not casted on Nyx Assassin, it will make opportunity for an easy stun, either by Spiked Carapace if Outworld Devourer hid his allies or your allies) or Impale if he hid himself. And if Astral Imprisonment was casted on Nyx Assassin, using Spiked Carapace while banished will proc the stun after disable, since Spike Carapace has 0 cast time, and Astral Imprisonment deals damage right after the disable ended.
- An ill-timed or well timed Spiked Carapace can deal a lot of damage to Outworld Devourer and stun him, unless Outworld Devourer is using beforehand. However, the mana burn from Sanity's Eclipse might leave Nyx Assassin with insufficient mana to release his combo.
- Heroes with slow-moving projectiles, large area-of-effect abilities, and/or damage over time are easily stunned by Spiked Carapace: , , , , .
- Heroes with high intelligence gain and low durability are vulnerable to Mana Burn.
- Positioning-dependent heroes are threatened by Vendetta: , .
- With Spiked Carapace off cooldown, Nyx Assassin is somewhat a hard counter to
. He can use Carapace, then Mana Burn a target with an active Lotus Orb, protecting him from the damage of the reflected mana burn (but not the burnt mana), reflecting the damage back and stunning the target.
- This becomes even better if he bought a , which he often does, since all it does it deals damage so Lotus Orb will 100% backfire, and the target will suffer twice the dagon's damage.
- This becomes EVEN BETTER with the 175% spiked carapace talent (at level 20), reflecting the dagon's damage twice, resulting in three times the dagon's damage in total. With dagon 5, this becomes an instant 2400 damage nuke and 2.4 second stun (before amplification/reduction).
- Another thing needed to be pointed is that Lotus Orb itself is a good item itself for Nyx Assassin. Alongside with , a combination of Dagon, Blade Mail, Lotus Orb, and Spiked Carapace hit on enemy with Lotus Orb activated will deals about 2400(3000 with level 20 talent) magic damage (before reduction/amplification) and solid stun.
- Items with area damage may catch Spiked Carapace, stunning the wielders and allowing Nyx Assassin to follow with other abilities: , , , , .
Works well with...
- Nyx Assassin's initiation potential works great in conjunction with Invoker's high damage spells.
- Impale allows Invoker's to be easily aimed.
- Invoker's , , and allows Nyx Assassin to land Impale rather easily.
- Nyx Assassin's high burst damage helps Legion Commander gain damage.
- removes silences and from Nyx Assassin.
- Nyx Assassin can initiate using and Vendetta, making him an ideal target.
- helps Nyx Assassin locate and eliminate weakened enemies.
- can help land Impale, which can in turn set up .
- Heroes with global or very long range spells can help Nyx Assassin take out tougher enemies: , , .
- Tanky heroes who can lure enemies to use their AoE nukes, allowing Nyx Assassin to counter-initiate with Spiked Carapace.
- Heroes with area disables that can help Nyx Assassin land an Impale: , , and .
- Heroes with can take advantage of Vendetta to sneak behind enemy lines.