Lion, the Demon Witch, is a ranged intelligence hero, most commonly played as a support, who serves as a powerful offensive spellcaster. While exceptionally frail and vulnerable at all stages of the game due to his low health pool, armor, and movement speed, he has a tremendous amount of disabling and nuking power, allowing him to provide the necessary lockdown and burst damage to his team to bring down elusive and shifty enemies. Earth Spike is an area-of-effect line-based stun that also deals a moderate amount of damage. If Lion uses it at max level combined with his Hex, which briefly transfigures an enemy into a harmless critter, he can disable a single opponent for almost 7 seconds, more than enough time to bring down a lone enemy, especially if an ally is present. His ultimate, Finger of Death, serves as a powerful nuke and his primary source of burst damage to aid him in his endeavors. To offset the high mana cost of his abilities, he has Mana Drain, which provides him the sustenance he needs to continuously provide his disabling prowess in a skirmish. A team facing a Lion would do well to eliminate him first in a fight, lest it fall prey to his potent and disruptive spells.
- The spikes travel at a speed of 1600.
- When targeting a unit, the spikes are released towards its current location upon cast. Spikes do not home and thus can be evaded.
- While in the air, other units may pass below hit airborne units.
- The damage is applied upon landing, not upon getting hit.
- The spikes take 0.52 seconds to reach max distance and can hit units up to 950 range away (travel distance + spikes radius).
- They take up to 0.58 seconds and can hit units up to 1050 range away when the general cast range increasing talent is chosen.
- They take up to 1.14 seconds and can hit units up to 1950 range away when Earth Spike's own range increasing talent is chosen.
- They take up to 1.2 seconds and can hit units up to 2050 range away when both talents are chosen.
- Only the cast range and distance increase from the level 25 talent is displayed. The level 10 talent can further increase the cast range to 1600 and the distance 1925.
- The level 10 talent alone increases the cast range to 600 and the distance to 925.
- When Earth Spike hits invisible units, the visual effects below the hit unit are still visible.
- Applies a hex on the target, setting its base movement speed to 140, silencing, muting and disarming it.
- Since hex changes base movement speed and does not actually apply a slow, all speed effects are calculated using the 140 base speed.
- Hex instantly destroys illusions.
- Lion's hex transforms the target into a frog.
- The talent turns Hex into an area-targeted spell, so that it cannot directly target units anymore.
- When talented, affects every valid target within the area. Doesn't affect invulnerable or hidden units but fully affects invisible units.
( Effect persists on secondary targets if debuff was placed before spell immunity.)
- Can only be cast on units which have a mana pool.
- The link breaks when the target gets out of vision, turns spell immune or invulnerable, exceeds the break distance, or runs out of mana.
- Drains 2/4/6/12 mana in 0.1 second intervals, starting 0.1 seconds after cast, resulting in up to 50 instances.
- Can drain up to 100/200/300/600 mana when fully channeled.
- Instantly destroys targeted illusions on the first interval.
- The multi-target Mana Drain talent causes Mana Drain to automatically target 2 additional units within 400 radius around the primary target.
- Cannot affect fogged, invisible, magic immune or invulnerable units.
- Only targets units which have a mana pool. The targets are chosen randomly, there are no priorities.
- The secondary links do not break and continue to drain mana, even if the secondary unit or units turn spell immune, invulnerable, hidden or run out of mana. It does break when exceeding the link break distance.
- All links break as soon as the primary target cannot be affected anymore.
- Places a debuff on the target upon cast, which applies the damage and the second debuff upon expiring. The debuff lasts 0.25 seconds.
- If the target dies while having the second debuff, Finger Of Death gains a permanent damage bonus.
- The status buff on Lion keeps track of how many heroes died with the debuff.
- The bonus damage debuff stacks, meaning that if Finger Of Death is cast on the same target twice within the 3 second time frame and the target dies, the bonus damage is granted twice.
- Although only gaining damage from hero kills, the debuff is placed on every target.
|+2Multi Target||20||+500 Health|
|+90 Damage||10||+100 Cast Range|
- The cast range talent also affects the max distance of and the link break distance of .
- This attack damage talent is added as raw attack damage, so it does not benefit illusions, and is not affected by most percentage-based damage increasing or reducing effects.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- Increased movement speed slow from 20%/24%/28%/32% to 20%/25%/30%/35%.
- Reduced damage bonus per kill from 50 to 40.
- provides health sustain in-lane, allowing Lion to remain active despite enemy harass.
- also restores health to Lion and teammates.
- is cheap and can be purchased with any leftover gold, giving Lion some additional stats. It can be built into a Magic Wand or Mekansm components if needed.
- should always be purchased by the support. If another support purchases courier, it is advised to purchase other support items such as Observer Wards.
- should always be picked up when available, one of the core duties of a support. Spotting enemy movements allows Lion and his team to re-position to meet them, and lets Lion pounce on his foes with his array of disables and nukes.
- gives Lion burst health and mana, critical to have on hand for low-HP casters whose spells can make large differences in teamfights. While a fully-charged Magic Stick is not fully guaranteed to allow Lion to cast one more spell if he's out of mana, it can buy him a few seconds to contribute more in an engagement or escape pursuers.
- is important to get early on Lion due to his strong disables. The extra movement speed allows Lion to chase enemies and get into position to cast his disables, securing early kills for his team.
- is a great upgrade for extra attributes and the additional charges, always useful on hard supports. Its cheap price makes it useful on Lion, who will not always have the gold to buy better items.
- 's passive health regeneration keeps his health pool topped off, synergizing with his ability to keep his mana pool at full with Mana Drain. The increased movement speed gives him better roaming and positioning ability.
- is extremely powerful on Lion, and should be considered a core item no matter his farm situation. The ability to instantly jump on top of enemies allows him to get much more use out of Hex and Earth Spike, greatly increasing the odds of getting kills on the enemy.
- is crucial to purchase regularly as a support Lion. As a ranged hero, Lion can destroy enemy Observer Wards he finds, taking away map vision from the enemy team.
- is important to carry at all times. Lion's nuking and disabling potential allows him to turn ganks and teamfights completely around if he is present.
- is a powerful utility and mobility item on Lion that grants him more mana, base damage, and some health sustain. It can serve as an inferior substitute to Blink Dagger, or as a supplement to further increase Lion's mobility. The active can also be used to help allies re-position as needed, or on an enemy to disposition them or instantly break their Linken's Sphere ahead of other disables.
- gives Lion strong utility and some initiation power. The active can allow Lion to invisibly approach gank targets and get within range to cast his disables, and can even be used as a shield while channeling Mana Drain. More importantly, it can be cast on allies who are caught out of position, granting them invisibility and strong magic resistance to aid them in escaping.
- greatly augments Finger of Death's killing power, as well as drastically reducing its cooldown to allow it to be used tactically. It is best purchased if Lion is given farm priority and his team has good crowd control that can group up the enemy to hit them with the area of effect.
- is useful to build on Lion if no other teammates can utilize the item effectively. The additional stats and armor increase Lion's survivability, while the heal drastically improves his teamfight contribution. As well, Lion does not suffer from the tremendous mana cost of the item as he can always recoup it with Mana Drain.
- increases Lion's mana pool for him to more easily get off his spell combos due to the high cost of Finger of Death. The cast range increase can greatly extend the reach of all of Lion's abilities, especially Hex and Earth Spike for disabling foes. It also increases the cast range of , one of Lion's core items.
- is expensive, but is a strong late-game item on any casting-oriented support. In Lion's case, it gives him better overall stats and reduces his reliance on Mana Drain, while also adding yet another instant hard disable to his already formidable arsenal.
- drastically increases Lion's nuking potential, as it allows him to double up on the already formidable nuking power of Finger of Death. However, it is extremely expensive to upgrade and can be relatively useless if bought too late, so it is best purchased if Lion already has a strong gold advantage and needs to end the game early.
- 's charges accumulate quickly given Lion's strong ganking abilities; those charges either heals allies or deals minor damage to enemies in early fights.
- gives Lion more utility, along with a blend of armor and mana regeneration. As a ranged support with strong disables, Lion can use the active on gank targets, increasing the damage they take from teammates' physical attacks. It can also be used on Roshan to reduce his armor, and later upgraded into a for even more benefits.
- is useful on low-HP casters such as Lion. The ability to evade physical damage for a short duration can buy Lion time to survive if the enemy attempts to focus him down, giving him the few seconds he may need to get his spells off. Can be upgraded into to improve the damage of his nukes if he gets the gold advantage.
- can give Lion some very strong benefits. The item grants more movement speed, giving him more mobility, as well as some more intelligence and mana regen to help him with casting. The active ability can be used either as an additional disable on the enemy, or on Lion himself to give him temporary invulnerability while dispelling debuffs like silences.
|Roles:||Support Disabler Nuker Initiator|
|Playstyle:||Betrayed by his demon partner, Lion went to hell and back for his vengeance, retrieving the demon's hand and grafting it onto his own body. Earth Spikes burst out from the ground, sending his enemies into the air. A simple Hex turns heroes into a harmless frogs, allowing Lion to Mana Drain them without interruption. Satisfied, the Demon Witch raises his disfigured hand, and points the Finger of Death to exterminate foes with a torrent of infernal energy.|
- In the transition from DotA to Dota 2, the names of two of Lion's abilities were changed. Impale changed to Earth Spike and Voodoo changed to Hex.
- Lion's rival response towards ▶️ "All we need now is a wardrobe." is a reference to the second book in The Chronicles of Narnia book series by C.S. Lewis, titled The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
Model before the April 26, 2012 Patch