Enigma is a ranged intelligence hero who uses his abilities to cripple his enemies, supported by a seemingly inexhaustible army of creeps. His fearsome abilities can bind entire teams under his might. Enigma is also a formidable jungler and pusher owing to his ability to create creeps.
The deliverance of his ultimate, Black Hole, engulfs an area around him with dark energies and disables enemies caught within it, making him an extremely powerful yet conditional initiator and disabler. His Midnight Pulse consumes sections of enemies' life in a region over time and his Malefice stuns targets. His trademark ability is Demonic Conversion, which splits a creep into three eidolons under his control. If they can land enough attacks on an enemy unit before their expiration, they multiply and are healed to full health.
- The first instance occurs upon cast, and then every 2 seconds.
- Can deal up to 90/150/210/270 ( 240/400/560/720) damage (before reductions).
- On each tick, Malefice first applies the damage, then the stun.
- Multiple instances of Malefice do not stack, but refresh the duration instead. It continues ticking with the tick rate of the first cast.
- Demonic Conversion kills the target unit, granting the gold and experience bounty, or resulting in a deny when cast on allied units.
- Attacking buildings or allied units does not count towards the number of attacks required to multiply, but attacking wards does.
- The attack is counted upon projectile launch, not upon hit, therefore, it does not matter whether the attack actually hits the target or not.
- Eidolons multiply upon their 7th attack projectile launch, regardless of whether the attack is a valid one (such as a building).
- When multiplying, the Eidolon's health is refreshed. Their duration is not refreshed.
- However, the splitting Eidolon's duration gets increased by 2 seconds.
- Eidolons can only multiply once. Eidolons which spawned through multiplication, cannot multiply.
- Midnight Pulse deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after cast, resulting in 9/10/11/12 instances.
- Can deal up to 31.5%/40%/49.5%/60% of the affected units' maximum health as damage (before reductions).
- Successive casts of Midnight Pulse work fully independently from each other.
- Destroys trees within 550 radius at the target location upon cast.
- Spirals affected units counterclockwise towards the center at a speed of 30, resulting in a maximum possible distance of 120.
- The closer the units are to the center, the stronger they get pulled to the center, with almost no pull, but only rotation at max distance.
- Can pull affected units over impassable terrain and through trees without destroying them.
- Units inside Black Hole can be pulled out by various spells. , , and cannot move units out of Black Hole.
- The pull and disable are provided by an aura, which lingers for 0.5 seconds, or until the channeling stops, whichever is shorter.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after cast, resulting in 4 instances.
- Can deal up to 200/400/600 ( + 14%/16%/18%/20% of maximum health) damage (before reductions).
does not actually cause to be cast when using Black Hole, it just adds its damage to Black Hole:
- The extra damage is equal to the current level of Midnight Pulse, so if not learned, Black Hole deals no extra damage.
- The extra damage is dealt in separate instances, in the same intervals as Black Hole's damage, resulting in 8 total instances together with Black Hole's regular damage.
- The extra damage is dealt across the whole radius of Black Hole and lasts for the duration of Black Hole.
- The extra damage stacks with any previously cast Midnight Pulse and deals pure damage.
- Unlike the Midnight Pulse skill, the upgrade's pulse damage hits ancient creeps.
- Also unlike Midnight Pulse, it does not destroy trees in the area upon cast.
- Provides 800 range ground vision at the targeted point for 4 seconds upon cast.
|+150 Gold/Min||15||15% Cooldown Reduction|
|+15% Magic Resistance||10||+25 Movement Speed|
- The magic resistance talent stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- The magic resistance talent increases Enigma's magic resistance to 36.25%.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- The cooldown reduction talent stacks multiplicatively with and additively other sources of cooldown reduction.
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- provides mana to produce Eidolons in the early game.
- provides some health regeneration to keep Enigma in jungle or hold the lane.
- grants mana to use Demonic Conversion in lane.
- helps in the jungle since it gains charges from neutral creeps casting their abilities, restoring health and mana to Enigma.
- is a great source of mana, allowing him to use his Demonic Conversion as often as possible. Enigma does not mind the health cost since he does not often go close to enemies as his abilities and Eidolons have good cast range and attack range.
- covers Enigma's lack of effective health from the start of game and can be sold away easily.
- help you getting into position to use Black Hole.
- is a cost effective upgrade from Magic Stick.
- helps your positioning greatly and helps to pull off a good Black Hole. Might need to be rushed way early by pushing lanes with Eidolons.
- is highly recommended, as Enigma can farm very quickly in the early stages of the game, is relatively item independent, and has a large mana pool, all of which are traits of a strong Mekansm carrier. The added armor, health regen, and active heal can also aid Enigma's Eidolons, and is very effective and needed to buff or remedy hurt allies in teamfights.
- can be a small upgrade for BoS also provide extra mana, ups it a notch from Soul Ring and can be combined with Mekansm for Guardian Greaves.
- allows Enigma to get away from a sticky situation if enemy team consist of many disablers or position jugglers that can pick him on a team fight or wide area of effect nukes and ricocheting shots. Scepter also provides movement speed and self-cast invulnerability helps you to array a Blink Dagger cast and use your low level Eidolons as a meat shield.
- summons can be handy for watching any flanks, deny disabler attempts with mana burn and allows more pressure with Eidolons. A decent defensive choice between Mekansm and Eul's Scepter.
- spell immunity so the enemies cannot easily interrupt Black Hole, though some abilities can pierce spell immunity so Enigma also has to consider Linken's Sphere as a supplement or an alternative. Favored to be paired with Blink Dagger at most staple builds but either can substitute each other. grants
- is an alternative to Black King Bar for when the enemy team has disables that ignore spell immunity, such as . When paired with Greaves, you'd have a reliable dispel at your service.
- can be an alternative to Linken's Sphere to endure damage and position when paired with any sort of invisibility buff or spell immunity. Can be a safety net for unique aggro or deflect skills like , or at late game.
- grants him additional cast range, allowing him to land his ultimate perhaps at much quicker speed without having to walk toward the team, and also to keep him out of harm's way if there is a nearby enemy that is not caught by his ultimate.
- allows a slot to be freed, provides a steady supply of health and mana regeneration to the team, and increases Enigma's survivability. Aside from healing and replenishing mana for team, Mend ability also will apply a basic dispel helps team when they got stuck.
- gives Enigma high health and mana regeneration. The active allows Enigma to use Black Hole twice in one fight.
- stacks with talent to reduce cooldown of Black Hole, putting constant pressure on the enemies with the frequent threat of this dangerous ultimate ability.
- also gives Enigma some mana management bonuses with protection, and its active ability synergizes well with Black Hole.
- upgrading this artifact to level 3 can be good investment at end game if you have it by mid game. Fills up the dps role nicely at the full upgrade as you combo BH, also reveals invisible enemies.
- grants invisibility so Enigma can initiate with the element of surprise without waiting to hunt for an Invisibility rune with Bottle. Can be an alternative to BKB or Blink when combined with Smoke of Deceit.
- with the help of some wards and callouts, Enigma can buff another initiator or carrier upfront to soak up some aggro before he wades in for early BH combo.
- expands and serves as a secondary Midnight Pulse when you miss your disabler or out-numbered also heals your allies. When paired with Bottle to hunt runes and buff your carrier, no reason for it to not have charges when you need it.
- is useful when there are hard counters with global effects like and or abilities that turn your own spell cast back at you such as in the opponent team to shut your combo down. Damage return buff can help you to slide away from a dire situation at mid game by creating an intimidating barrier preventing you to get focused after counter casts.
- can be an alternative to Mekansm when healing can not out-do massed area nukes on a push. When you have more than one fragile Agility carry heroes in your team, they will appreciate the thought in a team fight.
- greatly increases the effectiveness of Black Hole, as well as much needed attributes to remedy his health and mana pools.
- rewards bonus gold and experience so Enigma can gain access to powerful items and talents sooner.
- 's attack speed aura helps Eidolons multiply faster. Furthermore, the dominated creep also adds to Enigma's pushing power for jungling. Can be an alternative to Necronomicon when you failed to push for Mekansm but statwise it's weak for direct combat and dominated creeps start to lose power by mid game and only can be used as a distractor.
- provides an intense increase to mana regeneration, and adds a much needed secondary disable that does not have a cast delay.
|Roles:||Disabler Jungler Initiator Pusher|
|Playstyle:||A mystery worthy of his name, Enigma could only be described as a being of the void, a beast between planes. He draws aspects of himself from other dimensions, performing Demonic Conversions to summon numerous Eidolons. The ground darkens under a Midnight Pulse, and foes are stunned by the unseen force of Malefice as they try to flee its entropic effects. One legend has it that Enigma is actually the first collapsed star. This theory grows more plausible as Enigma begins to channel a cosmic singularity, pulling all except himself into the superdense center of his Black Hole.|
- Many of Enigma's responses are references to Friedrich Nietzsche's works; the line, ▶️ "I stare also into you." references a passage in Beyond Good and Evil, where it is stated that "And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you".
- Enigma's rival line towards ▶️ "Even time may fail in the face of gravity.'" is a reference to the time dilating effect of gravity.
- Many of Enigma's responses are also references to concepts in cosmology (the Big Bang, gravity wells, redshifts, and black holes) or particle physics (path integrals, universal constants).
- In DotA, Enigma's hero name was Darchrow. In the transition to Dota 2, his name was removed, most likely to emphasize his hero title.
- fundamental forces of the universe with Enigma representing the gravitational force. This is reflected in several of Enigma's responses to these heroes. ▶️ "The Fundamentals unite." , , , and together represent the four
- The term "eidolon" comes from ancient greek literature, where it refers to a human-like phantom, the shade of one who died.
Model before Version 7.00