Atropos the Bane Elemental, often known as Bane, is a ranged intelligence hero whose dark and nightmarish abilities give him prowess as a disabler, ganker, and nuker. Mostly played as a support, his high starting stats make him a menace in lane. Bane possesses four potent single-target spells, which must be used well to make up for his lack of pushing power or area of effect presence. Enfeeble reduces the target's status resistance and attack speed. Brain Sap deals hefty pure damage to the target and heals Atropos for the same amount. Nightmare puts a unit to sleep, completely disabling it for several seconds. The unit awakes when it is attacked or takes damage, though Bane can freely attack nightmared targets without waking them. Finally, Bane's Fiend's Grip is a channeled spell that completely disables the target, drains its mana and deals high damage over time. Bane's aptitude for incapacitating and debilitating enemies make him an invaluable support to allies—and a nightmare for enemies.
- Successive casts of Enfeeble on the same target do not stack, only the debuff gets refreshed and updated to the current level.
- Due to the status resistance reduction effect, refreshing the debuff will result in a longer duration of the debuff than usual.
- Treats creep-heroes as heroes, so it is able to target them.
- Choosing the "Enfeeble Steals Attack Speed" talent does not retroactively grant Bane attack speed from already Enfeebled targets.
- On the next cast, grants Bane a buff that increases his attack speed for the same values as the reduction.
- The buff does not stack, so only once instance can exist on Bane at any time. Casting it anew refreshes the duration.
- The buff on Bane is independent from the debuffs on the targets.
- Choosing the attack speed reduction upgrading talent does not upgrade any of Bane's currently active Enfeeble debuffs.
- Deals damage before it heals.
- Always heals for the full amount of health, regardless of the amount of damage dealt.
- Despite the visual effects, the heal and damage happen simultaneously.
- Applies a sleep on affected units, preventing them from acting.
- Nightmare turns affected targets invulnerable for 1 second, preventing affected units from waking up.
- Nightmare reduces affected enemy unit's vision to 200.
- The target wakes up when a unit starts attacking it (including manual casting of active attack modifiers), or when the target takes damage.
- The target does not wake up when taking damage from certain sources and under a few rare conditions:
- When waking up with an attack, the Nightmare is transferred to the attacking unit at the start of an attack, not when the attack hits.
- When Nightmare is transferred, its duration is refreshed, including the 1 second invulnerability.
- The Nightmare cannot be transferred to spell immune units, or to wards and buildings. So their attacks only wake up nightmared units.
- Bane and all illusions of Bane can attack nightmared units without waking the target up, and without the Nightmare transfering to them.
- Nightmared units are never automatically attacked, regardless of settings. A forced attack order is required to attack them.
- This prevents enemies from accidentally afflicting themselves with Nightmare by auto-attacking a nightmared unit.
- This also means that nightmared units are never attacked by lane creeps, neutral creeps, towers and fountains.
- Units can force an attack on an allied nightmared unit to transfer the Nightmare to themselves.
- As long as a unit is affected by Nightmare from Bane, Nightmare is replaced by a sub-ability which allows Bane to wake the unit up.
- Replaces until there is no Nightmare debuff from Bane active.
- Can wake a unit up at any time during a Nightmare, even during the 1 second invulnerability.
- Wakes up all units which were put asleep by Nightmare, no matter who put them asleep.
- Provides True Sight over the target until the channeling ends.
- Deals 50/77.5/107.5 damage and drains 2.5% mana in 0.5 second intervals, starting immediately as the channeling begins, resulting in up to 12 ( 26) instances.
- Can deal up to 600/930/1290 ( 1300/2015/2795) damage (before reductions).
- Can drain up to 30% ( 65%) of the target's maximum mana.
- Applies the damage first on each tick, and then the mana loss.
- Choosing the duration increasing talent does not affect Bane's currently active Fiend's Grip instance.
|+50 Movement Speed||20||+100Attack Speed Reduction|
|+40% XP Gain||15||Steals Attack Speed|
|+100 Cast Range||10||+7 Armor|
- keeps Bane's health pool up in the early game. It also destroys trees to make chain pulling of neutral camps easier, or instantly chops down enemy wards.
- restores health to Bane or an teammate.
- gives Bane mana replenishment, sustaining his abilities like Nightmare, allowing him to set up kills more frequently.
- gives team a way to retrieve items.
- provides vision around the map to spot enemy team's movements, setting up ganks or avoiding them.
- provides Bane with a small amount of passive health regeneration, allowing him to mitigate harass damage. More importantly, it gives him burst mana restoration in the early game, allowing him to get off one more ability for a key moment in ganks.
- gives movement speed for Bane to position.
- gives Bane burst health and mana to use abilities in fights.
- grants cheap mana regeneration and some protection against magical nukes.
- provides mana to use abilities. Its health cost can be offset by using Brain Sap.
- allows Bane to deward or spot invisible foes.
- increase the size of Bane's mana pool and gives him some additional movement speed, allowing him to get into position to use abilities more often. They also replenish mana to him and teammates.
- provides even more burst health and mana than Magic Stick.
- brings invisibility and magic resistance to Bane and his allies, allowing them to initiate on enemies or escape from engagements. Use on Bane while channeling Fiend's Grip to conceal himself from enemies.
- completes from disassembling Arcane Boots, and provides mana regeneration for Bane to use abilities. It also increases Bane's cast range of his abilities and items, keeping him further away from enemy aggression.
- boosts mobility, allowing Bane to play with perfect position.
- provides intelligence and health regeneration to use abilities. The active can get Bane and allies to the right position, or break Linken's Sphere, opening up opportunities for disables.
- provides movement speed for cheap to get Bane into position.
- give movement speed for mobility. The passive health regeneration also helps to offset Soul Ring's health cost.
- gives Bane more utility while also providing useful bonuses. As he is already a strong ganker, Bane can easily get charges that can then be used to heal teammates or add additional damage to ganks.
- gives Bane a way to shield himself from physical attacks for a short duration, gaining him time to use his abilities or to retreat. Use with Fiend's Grip to prevent the enemy from killing him with physical attacks.
- weakens armor of target, including Roshan, allowing allies to deal more physical damage to them, and the passive mana regeneration helps Bane to maintain his mana pool.
- grants strength, intelligence, and regeneration. The item's channel time benefits from Nightmare's long duration disable, ensuring the stun on targets. The item also applies damage to enemy buildings and creeps, helping Bane push and clear waves.
- gives increased movement speed, allowing Bane to position for abilities, and the intelligence and strong scaling mana regeneration greatly help with his casting. The active provides yet another disable that Bane can use on the enemy to set up ganks or hinder them in teamfights, or use on Bane himself to provide a short duration of invulnerability while also dispelling debuffs such as silences.
- root disable, giving Bane and allies time to pin down the target. gives Bane more health and a larger mana pool. It also provides a
- grants armor, regeneration, and Echo Shell that can be used on Bane or allies to remove debuffs and reflect targeted abilities.
- provides Bane with armor and attack speed slow aura, increasing his resilience against physical attacks. The added intelligence improves his damage and expands his mana pool; the active adds more damage in teamfights and slow movement speed of enemies.
- provides a large intelligence bonus and mana regeneration that alleviates Bane's casting problems, while also providing all-around attributes to increase survivability. The active allows him to utilize an instant hex.
- restores mana and health to team while removing debuffs from Bane. The armor and health regenerating aura works better on heroes at low HP, potentially saving them from deaths.
- pure damage of an upgraded Brain Sap is particularly good during the lategame, when most carries would likely have spell immunity and/or high armor values. allows Brain Sap to pierce spell immunity and drastically reduces its cooldown, allowing Bane to spam it constantly during teamfights. The
|Roles:||Support Disabler Nuker Durable|
|Playstyle:||Formed from the ichor of Nyctasha, Atropos is the vaporous embodiment of pure fear. Sheer terror Enfeebles his enemies, diminishing their attacks. The Bane Elemental puts heroes to sleep, sending them into a restless Nightmare as he feeds on their vital energies through Brain Sap. Some will never wake. Caught in the Fiend's Grip, Bane's victims can only swing at imagined phantoms as fear chokes the life from their bodies.|
- The origin of the name "Atropos" comes from Greek mythology. One of the Moirai Sisters (commonly referred to as the Sisters of Fate), Atropos was the sister in charge of cutting the "Life Thread" of those who were going to die. Her name literally means 'the no-Turning One' (> α 'no, without' + τρέπειν 'to turn'), referring to the irreversible and inevitable destiny of death.
- Bane's rival line towards ▶️ "Do Tinkers dream of electric sheepsticks?" is a reference to the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. "Sheepstick" is also a commonly used name for the .
- The theme and abilities of Bane are based on the game Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. In this game, there is a Bane "element" which provides spells that are named Enfeeble, Brain Sap, Nightmare and Fiend's Grip, with a similar theme of Bane in Dota 2.
- Bane's move line ▶️ "Sleep no more!" is a reference to Shakespeare's play Hamlet, in particular, his famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy. Hamlet reasons over whether to take his own life or carry on: "To die, to sleep-. No more-and by a sleep we say to end..."
- Fiend's Grip sound effect makes use of one of Bane's lines ("▶️ The bane of your existence").
- Bane's Last hit Response "▶️ The wages of fear" is a reference to the film of the same name.
- Bane is the only hero in Dota that has equally both base and growth value on all 3 attributes, even some general attributes value adjustments have been made on other heros through different versions, only Bane still keeps this peculiarity in every version, intentionally.
Low Violence model