Zeus, the Lord of Heaven, is a ranged intelligence hero who functions almost solely as a nuker. He is usually played as a semi-carry ganker type hero, who instead of utilizing disables, focuses solely on delivering tremendous amounts of magical damage to his foes. With the high cast range, and ease of use and low cooldown on his spells, he is able to deliver the most superb and consistent magical damage of any hero in the game. Arc Lightning is a highly spammable nuke that creates a stream of lightning that bounces between enemy foes (up to fifteen times at max level), dealing minor damage. Lightning Bolt is more focused, dealing heavy damage to a single target, also on a very low cooldown. It can also be targeted on the ground, providing vision and True Sight and potentially striking a nearby enemy, making him effective even against fogged and invisible enemies as well and allowing him to locate enemy wards. Static Field is a potent passive ability that allows Zeus's magical damage to scale into late game, dealing damage to all enemies equal to a certain percentage of their' health whenever he hits them with a spell. Finally, his ultimate Thundergod's Wrath allows him to strike all enemy heroes with a bolt of lightning, no matter their position, inflicting heavy damage. It can be used for multiple purposes: to finish off low-health enemy heroes limping away, to soften up the entire enemy team during a teamfight, or even to scout out the enemy's position. With the ability to strike down enemies both near and afar, the Lord of Heaven ensures that nobody can escape his wrath.
- The lightning bounces in 0.25 second intervals, so hitting all targets takes 1/1.5/2/3.5 seconds.
- Can never hit the same unit twice per cast.
- All bounces together can deal up to 350/665/1080/2175 ( 925/1470/2115/3900) damage (before reductions).
- The Arc Lightning buff is a hidden buff required for the lightning to jump.
Bolts from the Nimbus are not blocked.
- When cast on the ground with no heroes within 375 radius, it still provides the 750 range flying vision and True Sight.
- The lightning first applies the damage, then the debuff.
- When targeting a unit, vision and True Sight are provided at its position upon cast. The vision is stationary, it does not follow the unit.
- However, When the ground is targeted but the bolt hits a hero, the vision is centered on the targeted point, not the found hero.
- When targeting the ground, does not require any vision or true sight to hit invisible or fogged enemies.
- The flying vision and True Sight last for 4.5 seconds. The True Sight is provided by an aura, and its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Searches for enemy heroes, illusions and creep-heroes when targeting ground. Whichever is the closest gets hit.
- When targeting the ground, it can hit an enemy hero up to 1075/1125/1175/1225 ( 1300/1350/1400/1450) range away (cast range + search radius).
- In order to hit a non-hero unit, it must be directly targeted.
- Plays some lightning particles and a sound effect during the cast time, which are visible and audible to everyone.
- The damage from Static Field is flagged as HP Removal, so it does not trigger any on-damage effects.
- Static Field only works with Zeus' abilities. It does not react on items, or on other units' abilities (e.g. in Ability Draft).
- applies Static Field's damage on each enemy it jumps on, before the Arc Lightning applies its own damage.
- applies Static Field's damage on whoever it hits (before applying its own effects), regardless of whether they were directly targeted or not.
- applies Static Field's damage on all hit enemies (before applying its own effects). If an enemy was not hit due to invisibility, they are not damaged.
- If Arc Lightning or Lightning Bolt get blocked by Spell Block, Static Field damage is not applied.
- Does not affect .
- The flying vision and True Sight last for 3 seconds. The True Sight is provided by an aura, and its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Thundergod's Wrath first applies the damage on every hero (if possible), and then applies the vision around every enemy hero.
- This means it cannot damage invisible units, unless they are already revealed by another source of True Sight.
- Hitting all 5 enemy heroes collectively deals 1250/1750/2250 damage (before reductions).
- Plays a visual and sound effects during the cast time, which is visible and audible to everyone.
- The sound upon cast is global. Enemies can hear it when they have vision over Zeus. Else they can only hear the local hit sound.
- Shifts the lighting of the whole map for a split second as another indicator of it being cast.
- Requires to be unlocked.
- Casts regular
s on the closest valid enemy target, based on Lightning Bolt's current level.
- This means it also applies the mini-stun and provides vision and True Sight around the target.
- It also means that the Nimbus does nothing if Lightning Bolt is not learned.
- The damage source is the Nimbus itself, meaning certain on-damage effects react on the Nimbus rather than on Zeus (e.g. ).
- Starts striking immediately upon cast if an enemy is within the area.
- Also strikes immediately when the last strike was longer than an interval ago and an enemy enters the area.
- Can strike up to 16 times over its full duration, considering default strike interval.
- Does not require vision over the targets. The Nimbus can strike invisible units and units inside the Fog of War.
- The visual effects on the ground which mark the area of effect are visible to everyone.
|+115Damage||25||+225 Cast Range|
|+0.4sMinistun||20||12% Cooldown Reduction|
|+1.2%Damage||15||+25 Movement Speed|
|+200 Health||10||+2 Mana Regen|
- Level 10 left talent: +250 health reduced to +200.
- Level 10 right talent: +3 mana regen reduced to +2.5.
- Level 15 left talent: +1.5% current health as damage reduced to +1.2%
- Level 15 right talent: +30 movement speed reduced to +25.
- Level 20 left talent: +0.5s stun duration reduced to +0.4s.
- Level 20 right talent: 15% cooldown reduction reduced to 12%.
- Level 25 left talent: +145 damage reduced to +115.
- Level 25 right talent: +275 cast range reduced to +225.
- Reduced attack point from 0.45 to 0.35.
- Increased base movement speed from 295 to 300.
- regenerates HP for Zeus to stay in lane.
- also restores health.
- gives burst mana for Zeus to use abilities.
- gives constant supply of mana for Zeus to farm with Arc Lightning.
- gives attributes, and Zeus can combine it with Tango for more heal.
- will make you faster, allowing for easier escapes and a better time catching up to enemy heroes.
- allows for lane control and sustainability through runes and crowing. Getting it early helps you to maintain your mana to get last hits consistently.
- gives more intelligence, allowing for a larger mana pool and more damage, as well as bonus attributes to help with survivability.
- sustain Zeus' high rate of spell casting and give him the mana pool necessary to remain relevant in longer engagements. It can also be later disassembled to use the energy booster in another item like Aether Lens, and eventually upgrades into .
- makes you better at your job by dealing lots of magical damage from as far back as possible.
- can also be picked up, as Zeus benefits a lot from mobility items.
- gives mana regeneration, a bit more of speed and a good ability to incapacitate enemy heroes.
- provides a useful amplification of your magical damage dealt to any enemy caught in its blast. In addition to this, the armor bonus helps mitigate the impact of Zeus' poor base armor, allowing him to survive longer against physical damage.
- grants more health and more mana, which are very needed for Zeus. The more kills you score, the more mana regeneration you get.
- unlocks Nimbus, giving Zeus extra nuking power and global influence.
- increases Zeus's damage output with its cooldown reduction and gives Spell Lifesteal to counteract his squishiness.
- can help with early mana issues.
- is a good choice for mobility and utility, very useful for evading carries and kiting spell immune targets.
- can be a great choice if you find yourself getting blown up by physical damage. It can also be upgraded into an , which can be used to disable the enemy carry, save allies and deal a massive amount of burst damage in combination with your spells.
- increases spell damage and decreases mana cost, making Zeus a better caster in the mid game as he can use more abilities and deal more damage.
- allows Zeus to use Thundergod's Wrath and Nimbus twice in quick succession given sufficient mana, increasing his damage output in fights.
- gives a much-needed boost to Zeus's mana and grants a hard disable to deal with troublesome enemies.
- increase your mana pool enough to cast your combo while offering good enemy control.
|Playstyle:||Fond of mortal women, but even fonder of immortality, the Lord of Heaven descends from the clouds to prove himself a faithful spouse. Charged with godly might, Zeus calls down Lightning Bolts, smiting the wicked and revealing the hidden. Arc Lightning crackles between his fingers, jolts of electricity that leap from one puny mortal to the next. There is no running from heaven. Zeus points his arms skyward, bringing divine punishment down on each and every foe. Wherever they may be, none shall stand against the Thundergod's Wrath.|
- Zeus was the first hero to be implemented in Dota 2.
- Zeus is based on the Greek mythological god of the same name.
- As suggested by the game's files, Zeus's name was, at one time, Zuus. The possible reason being that 'Zuus' is the correct pronunciation of his name 'Zeus'.
- Zeus' alternate/fun name in DotA was "Merlini", a tribute to a professional DotA player.
- Zeus' title in DotA was "Lord of Olympus".
- Static Field is most likely a reference to the Sorceress' skill of the same name in Diablo II. In Diablo II, the spell also reduced enemies' HP by a percentage within a short radius.
- Zeus' respawn line ▶️ "To err is human. To respawn, divine." is a reference to Alexander Pope, whose quote is "To err is human; to forgive, divine."
- Zeus' rival line towards ▶️ "Keep in mind, Chen, Godliness is next to deadliness." is a reference to an old and well-known saying "Cleanliness is next to godliness." ,
- Zeus' rare response line, ▶️ "In Me I Trust.", refers to the national motto of the United States – "In God We Trust".
- Zeus' rare response line, ▶️ "If I didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent me.", is a reference to a similar quote by french philosopher Voltaire: "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."
- Zeus' bottling line, ▶️ "Nature abhors an empty bottle.", is a reference to D.J. Griffiths' summary of Lenz's law – "Nature abhors a change in flux."
Model and icons before December 16, 2015 Patch