Ostarion, the Wraith King, is a melee strength hero, as well as a carry and tank, capable of both dealing and taking plenty of damage. His infamous Reincarnation allows the Wraith King to rise again after death, acting like an Aegis of the Immortal, making him especially difficult to kill. But if left alive, the Wraith King can wreak havoc upon his enemies; his Wraithfire Blast provides reliable damage and a stun on a short cooldown, Vampiric Aura grants his team sizeable lifesteal, and Mortal Strike passively helps make short work of foes, while its active allows for quick pushing.
The Wraithfire Blasts from Reincarnation with the talent do not target spell immune units.
- Wraithfire Blast travels at a speed of 1000.
- The stun and slow are applied at the same time, so overall, the slow lasts for 3.1/3.4/3.7/4 seconds.
- Deals the base damage instantly upon hitting, and the damage over time in 1 second intervals, starting immediately after the stun.
- Can deal up to 90/140/190/240 damage (before reductions).
- The blast first applies the damage, then the debuffs.
- Casting Wraithfire Blast orders all of Wraith King's skeletons to attack that target.
- When the level 25 talent is chosen, Wraithfire Blast gets cast on all units within radius around Wraith King whenever
- These blasts deal full damage and stun like a regular cast, but travel at a slower speed of 500.
- When Wraithfire Blast is not learned, Reincarnation still slows when the talent is chosen. Once learned, the blasts fully replace the slow.
- The blasts can target units inside the fog of war and invisible units. However, invisible targets instantly disjoint them.
- The aura only affects allied melee heroes, and
under Wraith King's control.
- Allied ranged heroes, and non-hero units are not affected. Treats creep-heroes as heroes.
- Wraith King Skeletons gain 2/5/8/11 attack damage from the aura.
- Wraith King gains 6/15/24/33 attack damage and 7.5%/15%/22.5%/30% ( 37.5%/45%/52.5%/60%) lifesteal from the aura.
- Stacks additively with other sources of lifesteal.
- The aura's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- The lifesteal particle effects do not appear when Wraith King is not visible to the enemy.
|Wraith King Skeleton|
- Increases attack damage by an average of 18%/22%/26%/30%.
- A skeleton charge is gained for every 2 units killed by Wraith King. It does not matter how the units are killed.
- Upon cast, the skeletons spawn in 0.25 second intervals, starting immediately upon cast.
- The skeletons cannot be controlled. They automatically choose an attack target within approximately 6500 range.
- If no unit is within that range, they move to the closest lane and walk it down like lane creeps.
- If their current attack target turns invisible, the skeletons may stop and do nothing. After a while, they select a new target or return to the lanes.
- All skeletons within approximately 2000 radius around Wraith King switch to whoever Wraith King casts on.
- The skeletons do not block neutral creep camps.
- The skeletons die upon losing the Mortal Strike Summon modifier, so, besides with damage, they can be killed by dispelling them.
- Once killed, skeletons reincarnate. This reincarnation cannot be prevented.
- Just like with hero reincarnation, killing the skeletons grants no gold or experience when they reincarnate.
- Reincarnating does not reset the skeleton's duration. This means they do not reincarnate when expiring either.
- The proc chances of multiple crit sources stack.
- If two sources of critical strike proc at the same time, the higher multiplier has priority.
- Unlike other critical strikes, this one also works against wards.
- Mortal Strike uses pseudo-random distribution.
- The sound and particles play upon start of the attack, not when the attack lands.
Wraith Delay aura affects spell immune allies.
- Reincarnation cannot be prevented in any way as long as Wraith King has enough mana and the ability is off cooldown.
- Provides ground vision at the death location during its delay. /
- If Wraith King has an , Reincarnation triggers first, considering it is off cooldown and Wraith King has sufficient mana.
- The slow is applied only once at the beginning of the revival, not at the end.
- The aura to the ability. The aura's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds. upgrade adds an
- The aura affects allied heroes exclusively including Wraith King himself. It does not affect illusions or creep-heroes.
- Wraith Delay does not affect invulnerable or hidden heroes, so they die without getting into Wraith form when killed.
- An ally enters Wraith form when their health reaches 1, unless they are affected by Reincarnation.
, , or have
- Units in Wraith form are kept alive by having their minimum health set to 1. Damage taken is technically not reduced.
- When or one of his clones gets killed outside of the aura's range while 1 of them is within range, he does not enter Wraith form either.
- However, when a Meepo clone dies within the aura's range, that Meepo enters Wraith form, delaying the death.
- Multiple Meepos can be in Wraith form at the same time. When the one who entered it first expires, or another Meepo gets killed outside the aura's range, Meepo dies.
- An allied can enter Wraith form as well, if its health reaches 1 before it expires.
- A Tempest Double does not enter Wraith form if its duration timer reaches 0. It simply vanishes, regardless of being affected by the Wraith Delay aura or not.
- A Tempest Double, that has already entered Wraith form, still vanishes when its duration timer reaches 0. Its duration is not extended.
- Wraith Delay grants the affected heroes unobstructed movement, allowing them to move through units and trees and over cliffs.
- Allies in Wraith form can act freely like regular heroes, but are also still affected by everything like a regular hero, except that they cannot die during it by any means.
- This means they can still be attacked and targeted by spells regularly, making it possible to disable them.
- It also means that, upon entering Wraith form, all buffs and debuffs affecting the hero persist through it. They are not dispelled.
- When the Wraith duration ends, the hero dies. The kill is credited to whoever put the hero in Wraith form.
- Once in Wraith form, the hero cannot be saved by any means. It will die once the duration is over, even while invulnerable or under the effect of e.g. Shallow Grave.
- If the hero gains reincarnation during Wraith form, it still triggers regularly and reincarnates the hero.
- Wraith form causes the hero's model size to increase by 25% for its duration. This has no impact on its collision size.
- The Wraith Delay aura is bestowed to nearby allies even while Wraith King is dead.
|+24Attack Damage||15||+12 Strength|
|+15 Attack Speed||10||-1sCooldown|
- Reduced strength gain from 3.2 to 3.
- Level 10 right talent changed: +1.2s slow/damage duration -> -1s cooldown.
- Level 20 left talent changed: 1.8x spawned per charge -> +6 spawned.
- Level 10 left talent: +20 attack speed reduced to +15.
- Level 10 right talent: +1.5s slow/damage duration reduced to +1.2s.
- Level 15 left talent: +30 attack damage reduced to +24.
- Level 15 right talent: +15 strength reduced to +12.
- Level 20 left talent: 2x spawned per charge reduced to 1.8x.
- Level 25 right talent: +25% lifesteal reduced to +20%.
- Reduced attack damage bonus from 6/12/18/24 to 4/10/16/22.
- helps Wraith King sustain his health against lane harassment.
- also restores health to Wraith King.
- sustains mana so Wraith King can use Wraithfire Blast more often for early kills.
- gives attributes like intelligence so Wraith King will have enough mana to use Wraithfire Blast twice at level 1.
- provides passive health regeneration and burst mana to use Wraithfire Blast.
- allows Wraith King to get last hits easier. It also makes Mortal Strike hit harder against creeps which makes you clean camps and creep waves faster. It increases the effectiveness of Vampiric Aura when attacking creeps as well. It can be used to cut trees and move faster from one camp to another while farming the jungle.
- can sometimes be the difference between a death and a kill. Its active usually grants enough mana to sustain Reincarnation. It also combos with toggle, as one can deactivate, use Magic Stick, and reactivate buying enough time for it to provide the 500 bonus hp.
- provide an excellent boost of speed for any hero.
- provides the same kind of benefit as the Magic Stick does, but it also provides a small amount of attributes. It makes great use of the earlier bought Iron Branches, making room for new items.
- provides attack speed and attribute switching to make his limited mana pool go much further if the treads are switched to intelligence before casting a spell.
- provides lots of damage at a reasonable cost, while the health drain is mitigated by Vampiric Aura and Reincarnation.
- solves Wraith King's mobility issues, letting him engage and chase more effectively and giving him an escape after Reincarnating.
- shreds armor, boosting the damage output of Wraith King and his skeletons while improving Vampiric Aura's lifesteal.
- grants attack speed and can efficiently clear out hordes of illusions and/or summoned units.
- solves Wraith King's armor problems and gives bonus damage output to him, his teammates, and his skeletons.
- mana break, so he can survive and output damage. grants spell immunity to protect Wraith King against disables and
- provides decent armor and damage boost, while discouraging enemies from focusing and kiting him.
- evasion, and status resistance to tank up, and lets him disarm an enemy carry, shutting down their primary source of damage output. gives Wraith King strength,
- helps with farming and stacking skeleton charges, while making Wraith King a walking hazard that is difficult to ignore.
- bash lets him manfight more effectively. gives Wraith King high lockdown potential in combination with Wraithfire Blast, and the
- can guarantee an ultimate cast or some extra damage for Wraith King and his teammates, but its stats are of little benefit to Wraith King himself.
- is highly situational, as it allows to potentially use Reincarnation twice in a fight allowing him to deal damage for longer periods of time.
- grants damage that synergizes with Vampiric Aura and Mortal Strike, and is not dropped if Reincarnation activates; combine with Aegis of the Immortal and/or Refresher Orb for best results.
|Roles:||Carry Support Durable Disabler Initiator|
|Playstyle:||On the millennial solstice known as Wraith-Night, Ostarion stood frozen amid the carnage, absorbing innumerable souls as his champions sacrificed their lives for the King. Now brimming with Wraith Essence, Ostarion immobilizes his adversaries with Wraithfire Blast, stunning and searing them over time. His greatsword smashes foes in one Mortal Strike, sapping their essence to feed his Vampiric Aura. Only fools trust the erratic reports of Ostarion's death. For when slain, the wraith energies that bind his body begin to reconstitute his parts, joining limb to torso until the Wraith King's Reincarnation comes full circle.|
- Prior to December 13 of 2013, Ostarion, the Wraith King was known as Ostarion, the Skeleton King.
- On December 10 of 2013, Skeleton King was removed from the game for "pressing ceremonial reasons". After the Wraith Night event, he returned as the Wraith King.
- His model was completely reworked from the previous skeleton model to the current model. His color theme was changed from red to green and all his icons were changed accordingly.
- He also got a new voice set, by the same voice actor who also voiced Skeleton King previously. Skeleton King's responses can be found here.
- For The International 10 Battle Pass, however, Skeleton King would return as Wraith King's Arcana, which can be acquired by players that reach Level 375.
- In DotA1, Wraith King's (who is still known as the Skeleton King in DotA1) name is Leoric. This is a reference to the Skeleton King of Diablo who is also named Leoric. In the transition to Dota 2, his name was changed to Ostarion to avoid copyright issues.
- Copyright issues may also be a reason to why Skeleton King was remodeled and re-titled into Wraith King. Another likely factor for the remodeling was to solve many cosmetic item conflicts with the low-violence model which was made for the Perfect World client. A low-violence model was required for Skeleton King due to strict policies in China against the usage of skeletons in video games.
- Wraith King's responses for buying ▶️ "I NOW HAVE ALL THE SEXY", buying a ▶️ "Oh, Rapier. NOW YOUR KING IS BALLING OUT OF CONTROL!" and his battle begin line ▶️ "I'LL HELP MY WEAK AND PUNY ALLIES WHERE I CAN." are a reference to a popular DotA hero guide called "CAPS LOCK LEORIC".
- When Dota Plus first emerged with the use of a Hero's responses, many community members asked Valve to properly make the text of all of Wraith King's lines in all caps, which was done after multiple requests.
- In several responses, he refers to himself as the "Once and Future King", which is also a title for the legendary King Arthur.
- One of Wraith King's lines is "We'll lead as three kings" when he activates an Illusion Rune. This line is a reference to the three kings or three wise men story from Christmas.