|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Io the Wisp is a ranged strength hero who works best as part of a communicative team. With its support-oriented skill set, Io is able to share its strength through Tether and Overcharge, harass enemy heroes out of the lane with Spirits, and materialize itself and an ally anywhere on the map with Relocate.
Io, does not need to be facing towards a unit in order to attack, use abilities, or items. It still has a front, marked by an arc-like effect, and a back.
|Io, the Wisp|
|Lore:|| Io is everywhere, and in all things. Denounced by enemies as the great unmaker, worshiped by scholars as the twinkling of a divine eye, this strange Wisp of life-force occupies all planes at once, the merest fraction of its being crossing into physical existence at any one moment.
Like the great twin riders Dark and Light, and yet another ancient traveler whose true history is lost to the ages, Io the Wisp is a Fundamental of the universe, a force older than time, a wanderer from realms far beyond mortal understanding. Io is nothing less than the sum of all attractive and repulsive forces within the material field, a sentient manifestation of the charge that bind existence together. It is only in the controlled warping of these electrical waylines that Io's presence can be experienced on the physical plane. A benevolent, cooperative force, Io bonds its strange magnetism to others so that the power of allies might be enhanced. Its motives inscrutable, its strength unimaginable, Io moves through the physical plane, the perfect expression of the mysteries of the universe.
- Has a Break Tether sub-ability that lets Io break the tether while connected with an ally.
- Tethering a unit that is 700 units or further away causes Io to latch on and pull itself to the target.
- Pulls Io at a speed of 1000, until coming within 300 range of the target.
- Can pull Io over impassable terrain.
- Destroys trees within 350 radius around Io right after the pull.
- If Io breaks the tether while getting pulled to the tethered target, the pull immediately stops.
- The pull gets interrupted when Io is hit by another spell which applies Forced Movement, but not when Io is disabled.
- If the distance between Io and the target gets greater than 900 (or 2150 during the pull), the Tether breaks.
- When the distance between Io and the tethered target gets greater than 700, the link's visual appearance changes.
- The tethered unit benefits from Overcharge, Relocate, and from Io regenerating or replenishing health and mana.
- Tethered units still benefit from all those effects even when turning invulnerable or when hidden.
- The health and mana regeneration is only applied to the tethered unit if Io's respective pool is not full.
- Healing effects like Mekansm are applied to the tethered unit depending on how much health was replenished on Io.
- Mana restoring effects like Arcane Boots are applied fully to the tethered unit if 1 or more mana was replenished on Io.
- Any outgoing healing and restoring from Io gets amplified by 50%, meaning incoming amplifications on the target increase the already increased values.
- If Io is tethered to an invisible unit, his enemies can only see a fake link leading to the invisible unit's last known location.
- When the level 15 talent is chosen, the tethered ally's spells receive their Aghanim's Scepter upgrades until the Tether breaks.
- Io does not require an Aghanim's Scepter for the talent to work.
- Does not work for heroes who cannot drop their scepters.
- When the level 20 talent is chosen, Io performs instant attacks on every enemy the tethered ally attacks.
- The attacks are performed as soon as the ally launches their attack (including instant attacks). It does not matter whether the attack actually hits or not.
- Does not perform attacks when the tethered target also has this talent (i.e. an illusion of Io).
- The instant attacks of Io can proc every attack modifier normally. The attacks have no True Strike, but completely ignore disarms.
- Interrupts Io's channeling spells upon cast.
- Upon use, Io gains 2 sub-abilities to control how far away the spirits orbit.
- 5 spirits are summoned over the course of four seconds so that the distance between each spirit is equal.
- The first spirit is always spawned to the north of Io, with the following spirits spawning in one second interval behind the previous spirit.
- The spirits always rotate clockwise and are locked to Io's location, following it wherever it goes.
- Moving the spirits in our outwards does not break their formatting. They always rotate in a circle and keep equal distance from each other.
- The spirits complete a revolution every ~2.3 seconds regardless of distance from Io.
- Their angular velocity is constant, meaning their speed increases the further away they are from the caster.
- This means the first created spirit can rotate at least 8 times around Io.
- When a non-hero unit comes within the 70 collision radius of the spirits, it takes the collision damage.
- When a hero comes within collision radius, the spirit explodes and deals the explosion damage within 300 radius to every enemy.
- Remaining spirits detonate simultaneously at the end of the duration or if recast, dealing the explosion damage to nearby enemy units.
- Spirits provide 150 radius flying vision for 3 seconds at the location where they collided with a hero.
- They do not provide vision when exploding caused by expiring or recasting.
- The spirits are invisible to the enemy if Io is invisible.
- Can deal up to 125/250/375/500 ( 575/700/825/950) damage to a single unit when all 5 spirits explode on a target (before reductions).
- Treats creep-heroes as heroes.
- Overcharge does not interrupt Io's channeling spells upon cast.
- Can be toggled off while on cooldown.
- A tethered ally is affected by the damage reduction and attack speed, but only Io's health and mana get drained.
- Drains 1.2% of current health and mana in 0.2 second intervals.
- Io and the tethered ally's effective health are increased by 5%/11%/18%/25%.
- This quickly diminishes for Io because of the health loss.
- Double-clicking the ability automatically targets the team's fountain area.
- If Io is stunned, slept, cycloned, or hexed during the effect delay, Relocate gets cancelled.
- Enemies get a notification on their minimap during the teleport delay, showing them where Relocate was targeted.
- Creates a visual effect at the targeted point during the teleport delay, which is visible to everyone.
- Creates a visual effect at Io's position before the teleport happens, which also is visible to everyone.
- Provides 300 radius flying vision at the targeted point during the effect delay. Does not provide vision otherwise.
- Relocate interrupts channeling spells and every current order of Io and the tethered ally both on initial teleport, and when going back.
- If Io is tethered to a unit, Tether's duration is refreshed before and after the teleport delay.
- Io may break its tether at any time to prevent bringing an ally back.
- Destroys trees within 300 radius around Io upon both teleports.
- The Disablehelp option prevents Io from relocating the respective ally.
|+50 Health Regen||25||Tether Stuns|
|Attack Tethered Ally's Target||20||+150 Gold/Min|
|Tether Grants Scepter Bonus||15||+90 Spirits Hero Damage|
|+60 Damage||10||+400 Spirits Max Range|
- Tango provides health regeneration to Io and a lane partner, thanks to Tether.
- Healing Salve keeps Io and ally up in health during the early game.
- Clarity sustains Io and ally with mana to use abilities.
- Bottle restores both ally's health and mana with Tether.
- Urn of Shadows can be used on Io in conjunction with Tether to restore large amount of health to Io and an ally.
- Boots of Speed give a nice movement speed boost so Io can keep up Tether with a faster partner.
- Magic Stick instantly restores mana and health to both Io and a Tethered ally.
- Magic Wand is a cheap upgrade from Magic Stick and gives a bit more amount of heal.
- Arcane Boots can be used to restore a large amount of mana to Io and allies with Tether.
- Spirit Vessel, upgraded from Urn of Shadows, increases regeneration and healing for Io to keep allies healthy, while providing bonus health and movement speed to boost Io's survivability.
- Mekansm heals Io's Tethered partner for 625 health, as opposed to the standard 250. It also provides an armor and health regeneration aura to boost survivability.
- Guardian Greaves is built from Mekansm and Arcane Boots, saving a slot for another item. The active ability, Mend, restores huge amount of health and mana to Io and its team, especially when under Tether.
- Glimmer Cape allows Io to escape from enemies with invisibility and magic resistance; Io can also use it on an ally as well to save them.
- Ghost Scepter lets Io escape from physical attacks, thus staying alive longer to help allies.
- Tranquil Boots is considered for healing allies who need health.
- Drum of Endurance gives cost efficient attribute bonuses and further boosts you and your Tethered partner's attack and movement speed.
- Pipe of Insight grants aura of health regeneration and magic resistance, a great item to absorb magic damage.
- Vladmir's Offering has useful aura with many perks, including bonus damage and lifesteal which help allied heroes who rely on physical attacks to deal damage.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity serves as a disable to stop channeling spells or prevent escape. The bonus movement speed allows Io to keep up Tether close to an ally without breaking it.
- Force Staff provides useful ability to position different heroes, including Io.
- Heaven's Halberd gives some strength, evasion, and the ability to disarm a troublesome enemy hero.
- Heart of Tarrasque makes Io an ultimate healer, thanks to its generous bonuses of strength and health regeneration.
- Scythe of Vyse provides a valuable disable, some useful attribute bonuses, as well as mana regeneration which can pass on to Tethered ally.
- Shiva's Guard offers intelligence, armor, a slow aura, and an active ability for Io to contribute effective crowd control in teamfights.
- Io is the name of a priestess of Hera in Greek Mythology. She was seduced by Zeus and subsequently incurred Hera's wrath.
- Io is also the name of one of four Galilean moons of Jupiter, which was named after the same character in Greek Mythology.
- Io's fun names in DotA were Weird Ball and Santelmo. Santelmo may refer to St. Elmo's Fire, a weather phenomenon that creates sparks of bright energy similar to that of lightning, mostly occurring from sharply pointed structures.
- Enigma, Io, Keeper of the Light, and Chaos Knight together represent the four fundamental forces of the universe with Io representing the electromagnetic force, as alluded to in his lore as the force that binds all matter together, as well as his abilities which mostly rely on being bound to a partner to achieve maximum effect.
- Io connects to a unit with its tentacle when getting closer, despite of allied or enemy.
Alternate color theme, briefly used until the March 28, 2013 Patch