- Weaver's allows him to escape from Warlock's Upheaval with maximum move speed.
- His ultimate allows him to ignore damage from Warlock's golem and escape.
- prevents Warlock from casting his spells.
- allows Anti-Mage to escape from Upheaval.
- reduces damage from shadow word and the golem's Permanent Immolation.
- deals heavy damage after Chaotic Offering and interrupts Upheaval.
- can silence Warlock, which as a spellcaster is bad for him.
- prevents Warlock from moving without taking damage, which due to his general lack of escapes is bad for him, and when combined with Blood Rite can be a very lethal combo.
- Because Warlock's abilities are all active abilities, Silencer can make his impact minimal.
- prevents Warlock from using his abilities without taking 56/84/112/140 damage, and slowed by 9%/12%/15%/18%.
- can prevent Warlock from casting his combo.
- can nullify Warlock's impact in fights and prevent him from getting any spells off.
- allows for Dark Seer and his allies to escape from Upheaval due to it ignoring any slow.
- A pre-placed allows Ember Spirit to escape Upheaval.
- blocks Shadow Word's damage.
- allows Ember Spirit to attack from range, ignoring Upheaval, and lets him interrupt it.
- allows Lycan to escape from Upheaval with 650 movement speed.
- Warlock doesn't have a lot of AoE abilities to deal with Lycan's wolves from .
- nullifies the healing from Warlock's golem and Shadow Word.
- stuns Warlock if he chooses to continue channeling Upheaval.
- interrupts Upheaval.
- Nyx Assassin allows him to escape from Warlock's Upheaval with maximum move speed.
- Warlock's low health pool and mobility can easily take down by Nyx Assassin's burst damage.
- Warlock is a very strong hero when positioned correctly, and his long cast range helps him with this. However, some Heroes might disrupt or sneakily pass through your allies and deal with you, preventing you from doing your job. Such heroes include , , , and some others.
- can shred Warlock's golems in a few seconds with and .
- Because all of Warlock's abilities are active abilities, silences can make his impact in fights minimal. Be cautious of heroes that carry silences like , , and the aforementioned .
- silences Warlock, which is bad for him as a spell based hero.
- removes mana from Warlock with each attack. Considering the high mana costs of his spells, it could leave him with no room for casting additional spells.
- can stop Warlock from casting Upheaval, which can then allow the enemy team to escape, or get close to deal damage.
- can allow heroes to escape from Upheaval and get close to Warlock.
- Warlock's golems do plenty of physical and pure damage to bring down Huskar when he is at low health. Warlock is always a hazard for Huskar to initiate by using because Chaotic Offering can stun him instantly, even when is activated, and allow Warlock's team to gather their wit and retaliate.
- After jumping in, Huskar will not have any means to escape Upheaval. Being an attack-dependent hero, this is bad for him.
- Fatal Bonds links the Meepos together.
- Warlock can cast Upheaval when Templar Assassin uses
, preventing escape.
- Warlock can also send his golem near where she used , preventing escape by due to the golem's Permanent Immolation.
- Lacking escaping mechanisms, being dependent on fair positioning and channeling for his ultimate, its easier to Warlock with your long range crowd control abilities to lock the Shadow Fiend down to your team.
- Chaotic Offering pierces spell immunity and is an area of effect ability, therefore it doesn't matter if Enigma buys or Warlock will always be able to cancel channeling of .
- Enemies often get clumped up around giving Warlock a perfect opportunity to cast Fatal Bonds and Upheaval on multiple enemies.
- Warlock has long cast ranges on his abilities. You should never go in the middle of the enemies to do your work, sending your golem instead, and helping him and your teammates with your abilities. Buying a helps you even more.
- While heroes with strong mobility able to get close/flee or long range disables do well against him, heroes with no escaping abilities/lacking long disables will perish against Warlock. Once the golem lands with its stun, its hardly possible to escape when he casts Upheaval. Just watch your pet burn the enemies as they try running away or blow their strongest abilities to stop your Golem. Notable examples: , , , , etc.
- Team fight composition is often a bad deal against Warlock, since his stronger point is to counter an initiation and disrupt/curse a crowd of enemies.
- Channeling heroes will not go well against Warlock, especially those who build spell immunity. E.g.: , , , etc. as Warlock's ultimate ability stun goes through
Works well with...
- Sven's works well with Warlock's Upheaval.
- physical damage. allows Warlock's golem to catch up to enemies and gives it better survivability against
- Bloodseeker can land his after Warlock drop his ability combo (Chaotic Offering -> Fatal Bonds -> Upheaval), making it deal a lot of damage while Silencing them.
- Warlock can cast Fatal Bonds on enemies caught by causing them to take increased damage from procs, then follow it with Upheaval to prevent them from leaving Axe's range after the call ends.
- can be used to pull heroes into an Upheaval.
- allows the golem from Chaotic Offering to chase down enemy heroes.
- can be set up with Chaotic Offering and Upheaval.
- Fatal Bonds can be very dangerous with an ed Magnus.
- Chaotic Offering, Upheaval, and Fatal Bonds are very dangerous with and , they can bring down enemies in few seconds.
- Shadow Word keeps Spectre healthy in lane. Having more health also means more reflected damage with .
- Fatal Bonds further increases damage of on a group of enemies.
- can give an to Warlock
- , because the golem can help deal damage and stun the opponent during , and Upheaval can prevent escape from either initiation or if the is unsuccessful.
- Any hero that deal AOE damage can work with Warlock as his Fatal Bonds can spread the damage and Upheaval can be used to further increase the crowd control by slowing them down.
- Any hero with a stun, which allows Warlock prevent them from escaping using his Upheaval.