- Vengeful Spirit has no strong AoE nuke or disable against Phantom Lancer's Illusions, and with Diffusal Blade (Core item on Phantom Lancer), Shendelzare's naturally poor mana pool will be empty in no time, making her defenseless.
- Past the mid game, an isolated Vengeful Spirit makes for an easy kill for Anti-Mage. Her defense is often a Magic Missile, but that has a travel time and can be dodged with . This disjointing property and drawback of Magic Missile also makes it that Vengeful Spirit cannot reliably roam to kill Anti-Mage in the early-mid game, as compared to against most other heroes.
- With Barathum's aggressive facerushing damage, Vengeful Spirit will not be able to do much against him once her Magic Missile is expended. Even if Shendelzare gets away for a moment and stuns him, his means that there is often no escape for her.
- If Vengeful Spirit uses her Nether Swap on tide hunter, he is able to use his on her allies without problems, and if he gets stunned with Magic Missile he easily dispels it with his .
- Strong nuking supports like . Shendelzare has subpar attack range, making it harder for her to harass and last hit safely. With enough pressure she can be bullied out of a lane.
- Heroes who relies on illusions and summons ( , , etc,).
- blocks Magic Missile or Nether Swap, although Vengeful Spirit has her other skillset to disable it.
- Vengeful Spirit's Vengeance Aura gets reduced by the armor buff of Assault Cuirass. The armor buff also makes her Wave of Terror less useful.
- disables Vengeance Aura and the passive component of Nether Swap.
- With her Nether Swap , a Vengeful Spirit can save the life of an ally who gets caught with . Her swap also makes it highly dangerous for Batrider to attempt a lasso as it can lead to his own demise far behind enemy lines.
- Wave of Terror's flying vision allows Vengeful Spirit to spot Batrider trying to close in on his target with .
- Nether Swap gives Vengeful Spirit a way to save an ally from Clockwerk's Power Cogs.
- Magic Missile will interrupt Clockwerk trying to run down Vengeful Spirit's allies with Battery Assault .
- With her Nether Swap , a well positioned Vengeful Spirit can save the life of a more important ally who gets caught in . Her Vengeance Aura also makes her an unappetizing target for Faceless Void to turn on in the chronosphere.
- Huskar, while highly resistant to magical damage, struggles against heroes that output high physical damage. Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror and Vengeance Aura help increase the physical damage of her team.
- Vengeful is good versus Meepo because she can isolate one of the Meepos with Nether Swap, making him an easier kill for the team.
- Her Magic Missile gives her an easy way to cancel Meepo's , preventing isolated Meepos from fleeing.
- She can easily cancel with Nether Swap .
- Wave of Terror can also scout for him while on the trees.
- If Morphling has no Spell Block, he can easily be pulled back into a fight by the Nether Swap.
- Heroes with strong channeling spells like Crystal Maiden's Freezing Field or Enigma's Black Hole can easily be interrupted from a long range by Vengeful Spirit assuming they don't have a the Linken's Sphere's Spell Block.
- Heroes that rely on escaping through the fog of war can easily be scouted by Vengeful Spirit's Wave of Terror and brought back into the fight with Nether Swap.
- With the exception of Magic Missile (unless the player skills the Level 25 Talent "Magic Missile Pierces Spell Immunity"), all of Vengeful Spirit's spells ignore Spell Immunity. This also makes her good against heroes with built-in Spell Immunity like or .
Works well with...
- Vengeful Spirit can Nether Swap an enemy hero into a stack of , or into a , making it an easy kill (albeit at the risk of her own life).
- and Wave of Terror shreds the enemies' armor, while Vengeance Aura further boosts the damage of Shadow Fiend.
- Wave of Terror can be used to scout for a target to cast on. The high amount of negative amour that results from these 2 spells means most heroes will easily melt to Slardar's attacks.
- Drow Ranger makes a natural pairing with Vengeful Spirit as they boost each other's damage with and Vengeance Aura, which is helpful in the late game. Drow Ranger also appreciates a support with a stun (Magic Missile), allowing her to catch up and lay her into her target. Nether Swap can be used offensively to score Drow more kills, or defensively to save her if her fails.
- Magic Missile can be the prelude for a .
- 's damage can be amplified by a correct Nether Swap.
- Vengeful Spirit and Crystal Maiden make a very strong support and ganking duo, as their plethora of single target disables can easily be stacked to make sure the target rarely gets away. Also, greatly alleviates Vengeful Spirit's mana needs.
- 's armor reduction stacks with Wave of Terror.
- Vengeance Aura adds damage to .
- Elder Titan