Ulfsaar, the Ursa Warrior (or simply Ursa), is a melee agility hero whose abilities' main focus is the increase of attack damage, allowing for some of the most impressive sustained damage in the entire game.
He specializes in increasing damage against one target. His abilities allow him to attack with almost maximum speed and gain bonus damage with each consecutive hit on a single target. With the abilities Overpower and Fury Swipes, Ursa can often savage beefy targets for as much as 700 damage per hit. He is a ferocious jungler and straightforward attacker, able to solo even Roshan at low levels if he has lifesteal. Ursa is a carry who can snowball if he is farmed, but the array of anti-melee abilities existing even by the early game and his lack of any counterspells may cripple his potential, especially as strong nukers and heroes with the ability to evade him make him a hero reliant on spellcasters on his team. Although an agility hero, Ursa's base strength and strength gain make him very durable.
|Ulfsaar, the Ursa Warrior|
|Play "It is my spirit that keeps me safe, and not mere armor."|
|Lore:||Ulfsaar the warrior is the fiercest member of an ursine tribe, protective of his land and his people. During the long winters, while the mothers sleep and nurse their cubs, the males patrol the lands above—as tireless, vigilant defenders of their ancient ways. Hearing dim but growing rumors of a spreading evil, Ulfsaar headed out beyond the boundaries of his wild wooded homeland, intending to track down and destroy the threat at its source, before it could endanger his people. He is a proud creature with a bright strong spirit, utterly trustworthy, a staunch ally and defender.|
|Voice:||Fred Tatasciore (Responses)|
- Earthshock first applies the debuff, then the damage.
- Does not guarantee full attack speed. The provided attack speed can be negated by strong attack speed slows.
- Attacking items or missed attacks does not use up any charges.
- The number of charges left is visible on the buff icon.
- Successive casts do not stack, but refresh the whole amount of charges instead.
- On each attack Fury Swipes first adds 1 stack and then deals damage based on the stack count.
- This means that the bonus damage is applied even with the first attack.
- The damage is dealt in one instance together with Ursa's attack damage.
- The damage can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble or Static Link.
- Each successful attack refreshes the whole stack. Missed attacks neither place the buff, nor add a stack or refresh it.
- The number of stacks is visible on the debuff icon placed on attacked units.
- The stack duration increasing talent does not increase the duration against Roshan.
- Enrage interrupts Ursa's channeling spells upon cast.
- Applies a strong dispel on Ursa upon cast.
- The 80% damage reduction reduces all 3 damage types.
- Does not reduce damage from abilities that do HP removal.
- Attacks during Enrage still add only 1 stack. Enrage merely multiplies the damage values of Fury Swipes by 1.5/1.75/2.
- When upgraded, Enrage can be cast while stunned, cycloned, slept, taunted, hidden or during forced movement.
- Causes Ursa's model to glow red and increases its size by 20% (this has no impact on its collision size).
|+14 Fury Swipes Damage||25||+600 AoE Earthshock|
|+25s Fury Swipes Reset Time||20||+1 Enrage Duration|
|-1s Earthshock Cooldown||15||+16 Agility|
|+8 Strength||10||+1.75 Mana Regen|
- Tango provides health regeneration in lane..
- Stout Shield provides damage block to counter physical harassment.
- Iron Branches can be used to make a Magic Wand and provide cheap, efficient stats for the early game.
- Boots of Speed are essential for most heroes but particularly Ursa as it allows him to chase down enemies to get into Earthshock range, as well as reducing down-time while jungling.
- Magic Stick combines with earlier Iron Branches to make a Magic Wand.
- Wind Lace if the enemy laner has more MS than Ursa, this gives him enough MS to continue chasing them down.
- Ring of Basilius is a useful item to keep Ursa's mana issues at bay. It can also be built into a Vladmir's Offering or Ring of Aquila, both of which are definitely viable options for Ursa.
- Orb of Venom puts another slow in Ursa's arsenal, giving more chasing power although it is no longer a component of Eye of Skadi.
- Morbid Mask naturally synergizes well with Ursa's high physical DPS, greatly increasing his staying power in the lane and in the jungle. It also gives him the option to take on Roshan.
- Phase Boots provide Ursa with additional chasing power, as well as damage to bolster his already high DPS.
- Magic Wand may be useful to supplement Ursa's poor mana pool and save him from bad situations.
- Vladmir's Offering or other sources of lifesteal are key to Ursa's success and his workings as a hero. Lifesteal allows him to take Roshan with ease and keep his current health high. Also lifesteal work with Fury Swipes, so Ursa can devastate any enemy by leeching a lot of health when some Fury Swipes are already placed.
- Blink Dagger is used for picking off heroes or initiating fights as it gives Ursa the option to pounce on an enemy hero with Earthshock and rapidly kill them.
- Black King Bar is usually necessary in the late game, as Ursa is very vulnerable to disables.
- Town Portal Scrolls are essential for any hero to be able to massively reduce downtime farming, defending towers and fighting.
- Shadow Blade is a potential alternative to blink dagger, providing nice bonus damage upon attacking. However, it should only be bought against teams without a Slardar or Bounty Hunter and against slow, low-mobility heroes if a Blink Dagger is likely to be cancelled by long-range spells. Also keep in mind that using Shadow Blade costs 75 mana per use, which over time adds up to a lot of lost mana, upgrades into a Silver Edge which is useful against enemies with strong passive abilities.
- Heart of Tarrasque is the best health item for slot-efficiency, providing Ursa with considerable tankiness as well as the ability to avoid retreating from a base siege for too long due to its % based regeneration, as Ursa does not need damage items, but rather needs to survive to hit the enemy more times.
- Linken's Sphere is a great item against Disarm and Silence and other heroes possessing powerful single-target spells. It should be bought if Black King Bar cannot stop the enemy from locking you down.
- Blade Mail can be considered if the enemy team is focusing Ursa in fights to return the damage. It is usually bought with a Heart of Tarrasque, Satanic or Eye of Skadi on Ursa ensure he has the HP to survive the fight and deal the Blade Mail damage.
- Sange and Yasha provides some easy-to-build HP and movement speed on Ursa, so if a Blink Dagger or Shadow Blade is not viable in the game, consider this item for some added mobility and tank. It can also be disassembled to create a Heaven's Halberd and Manta Style later in the game to provide evasion and debuff removal respectively.
- Boots of Travel makes Ursa very mobile and allows him to defend his base or push enemy towers.
- Aghanim's Scepter allows Ursa not only to use Enrage more often, but also to use it when he is disabled, very useful against repetitive stuns, though it cannot be cast during Duel or when silenced.
- Armlet of Mordiggian is extremely powerful item on Ursa and his skillset, giving him bonus strength and damage, and with Vladmir's Offering and Enrage, he won't be needing to worry about HP drain. Not very viable anymore since Enrage does not give damage based on Ursa's current HP but just more damage based on Fury Swipes.
- Abyssal Blade is highly useful for locking down slippery carries. The bash also synergizes with Overpower very well as you can get many procs without buying attack speed.
- Desolator is a decent item for if your team is mostly based on physical damage. Consider buying it if you are tanky enough to not need a health item and not being kited enough to need an item that provides lockdown.
- Scythe of Vyse is a situational disable that transforms enemy into a harmless critter. Can be useful against heroes that can purge the Abyssal Blade, and provides with great mana regen that Ursa might lack, also provides great stats.
|Roles:||Carry Jungler Durable Disabler|
|Playstyle:||The fiercest member of his ursine tribe, Ulfsaar makes it his purpose to seek out the evil fomenting beyond his homeland. The Ursa Warrior shakes the ground with Earthshock, slowing foes as he Overpowers them with relentless attacks. His claws dig in to widen the wound, inflicting greater damage with each successive Fury Swipe. An Enraged ursine is a sight to behold. Ignoring all pain, the Ursa Warrior goes into a righteous frenzy, and bears down on his opponents to maul them beyond recognition.|
- In DotA, Ulfsaar's alternate name was Fuzzy Wuzzy. This is referenced in one of his spawning lines, where he calls himself Play "Fuzzy Wuzzy". He does not use his actual name, Ulfsaar, in any of his responses. Lone Druid is the only one who calls him Ulfsaar.
- In Latin, the word "ursa" means bear. In Portuguese, however, it specifically refers to a female bear. Despite this, Ulfsaar is clearly depicted as male both in his bio (where it is referred to as a "he") and in his in-game dialogue.
- Ursa's response to killing an enemy Batrider makes reference to the 1940's Anti forest fire mascot "Smokey the Bear".
- Ursa's Fury Swipes may also be a reference to the Pokémon move of the same name. The move involves the target being hit multiple times, much like Ursa's skills allow him to.