Jah'rakal the Troll Warlord is a ranged Agility hero able to output mighty damage competitively at range and in melee. His Berserker's Rage gives him the unique ability to change his attack position from ranged to melee and back at will as the situation warrants. When in close combat, his stats are increased accordingly: he gains bonus armor, movement speed, reduced base attack time, and the ability to Bash. Not only does this greatly improve the Troll Warlord, but allows him to overpower most other carries, as well as permabash a target for extended amounts of time. The Troll Warlord is an axe specialist, using them in his unique Whirling Axes. Whirling Axes has two variations: the first is available to his ranged form wherein he throws five axes in a cone formation to damage and slow enemies down. The second is available to his melee form, unleashing axes around himself in a small radius to damage and blind nearby enemies. In keeping with his savage nature, Fervor builds up the Warlord's momentum. With each consecutive hit on the same target, he gains increased attack speed, up to a maximum of 7 stacks. His Ultimate, Battle Trance, increases the attack speed of all of his allies globally, making it useful both for teamfights and to shred towers down quickly. Notorious for his superbly fast attack speed that can be matched by few, Jah'rakal is truly a force to be reckoned with.
|Jah'rakal, the Troll Warlord|
|Play "I suffer the innocents and guilty alike. There are no innocents."|
|Lore:|| It's an easy thing to offend a troll. A prickly and contentious race, trolls thrive on argument and strife, missing no excuse to raise their voices in dispute. Males grow to maturity in subterranean chambers beneath their matriarch's domicile, feeding and amusing themselves while contributing nothing. Often they stay for years beyond the age of maturity, while the matriarch provides them with sustenance. When young trolls are finally pushed from their sub-chamber, they gather with others of their kind, forming roving gangs of malcontents who complain loudly about all manner of vexation.
As much as trolls love to argue, imagine how rare it is for a troll to be driven from his own kind for being too difficult to get along with. Such was Jah'rakal's fate, a monger troll from deep in the Hoven. So deluded was he, so bitter and abrasive, that even other trolls found his company intolerable. After one particularly vitriolic outburst in which he claimed the lion's share of loot from their latest raid, his cohorts finally snapped. They turned on him, beat him with clubs, and drove him from the encampment. Enraged at his banishment, he returned the next day, armed with steel, and slew them all, one by one. He then swore a blood oath: he would ever after be a fighting force unto himself. Now he roams the world as the Troll Warlord, bitter and angry, the Imperial high commander of an army of one.
|Voice:||Nolan North (Responses)|
- Berserker's Rage does not interrupt Troll Warlord's channeling spells upon cast.
- When toggling off, all changes are reverted and he becomes a ranged unit again.
- Turns Troll Warlord into a melee unit with 150 attack range, meaning items treat him as such (e.g. Battle Fury, Stout Shield).
- When toggling on while a ranged projectile is flying, it is treated as a melee attack by Battle Fury and Vladmir's Offering.
- Berserker's Rage persists through Troll Warlord's death. If Berserker's Rage was active upon death, he respawns with it activated.
- The bash does not stack with other bashes. The bash from Skull Basher and Abyssal Blade is disabled for Troll Warlord.
- The proccing attack first applies the debuff, then its own damage.
- The bash of Berserker's Rage uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Troll Warlord can lifesteal off the damage dealt by his bash. However, it cannot crit or cleave.
- The bash damage can be reduced with e.g. Enfeeble or Static Link.
- The bash adds an average of 2/3/4/5 magical damage to every attack.
- Whirling Axes (Ranged) is only available when Berserker's Rage is toggled off.
- The axes travel at a speed of 1500, taking 0.67 seconds to travel the full distance.
- Spawns 5 axes which spread up to 25 degrees and affect units within 100 radius around them.
- Has no starting radius, the axes spawn at one point in front of Troll Warlord. So the total area is shaped like a cone.
- Can hit units up to 1100 range away (travel distance + axes radius).
- The axes first apply the damage, then the debuff.
- Does not affect Roshan.
- Whirling Axes (Melee) is only available when Berserker's Rage is toggled on.
- Interrupts Troll Warlord's channeling spells upon cast.
- If Troll Warlord dies, the spell ends and the axes disappear.
- The axes always spawn towards east and west at Troll Warlord's position and rotate clock-wise.
- The axes travel at a speed of 1250 and move out at a speed of 233.33 until reaching the max distance in 1.5 seconds, and then move back to Troll Warlord at the same speed.
- Only units within 100 range of an axe get damaged and blinded.
- Can hit units up to 450 range away (max spin radius + axes radius).
- The axes first apply the damage, then the debuff.
- The visual effects of this spell are offset and do not reflect the actual currently affected area.
- Does not affect Roshan.
- Troll Warlord gains or loses stacks as soon as he reaches his attack point.
- This means that missed or disjointed attacks still count and it does not matter what he attacks, be it enemies, buildings, wards or allies.
- This is how much attack speed Fervor grants with a certain amount of stacks on each level.
- Battle Trance interrupts Troll Warlord's channeling spells upon cast.
- The sound effect is global for allies and local for enemies. Enemies cannot hear it when having no vision over Troll Warlord.
- When the talent is chosen, applies a basic dispel on all buffed units upon cast.
|Battle Trance Dispels||25||-6s Whirling Axes Cooldown|
|+50 Damage||20||20% Evasion|
|+50 Whirling Axes Damage||15||+3 Max Fervor Stacks|
|+200 Health||10||+10 Agility|
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- The agility talent effectively grants Troll Warlord 1.67 armor, 10 attack speed, 0.6% movement speed and 10 attack damage.
- The evasion talent stacks multiplicatively with other sources of evasion.
- Tango and Healing Salve give you basic health regeneration to stay longer in lane.
- Ring of Protection provides a minor armor bonus, it also builds into a Ring of Basilius.
- Magic Stick helps against enemies that can spam spells, it later builds into Magic Wand.
- Ring of Aquila doubles your mana regen during the early game.
- Phase Boots help you escape bad situations as well as closing the distance to enemies to take advantage of your more powerful melee form. As Troll has built-in attack speed, he benefits more from the raw damage of Phase Boots than the attack speed provided by Power Treads.
- Black King Bar is core on troll because Battle Trance only lasts 5 seconds. Every second matters, and stuns and disables potentially make you unable to do anything for several seconds, wasting the spell's potential.
- Morbid Mask provides lifesteal which works well with your high attack speed. Getting this can help you take out Roshan in the early game by yourself, especially when coupled with a critical strike, like that of Crystalys. It also upgrades into Satanic, which helps with survivability in the late game.
- Blink Dagger, as always, is the perfect gap closer. Most heroes are not too thrilled to get jumped on by an angry Troll.
- Echo Sabre is an interesting pick on Troll. The double attack will help you get a lucky bash, and it will immediately give you a second stack of Fervor against whatever target you're attacking, indirectly increasing the speed of your third (and fourth and fifth...) attack. The stats it gives are also very welcome.
- Yasha is always a decent choice, for extra movement speed and agility. Upgrade it into either a Sange and Yasha for some durability and slow, or a Manta Style for the illusions and dispel.
- Dragon Lance is not a bad choice on Troll. Although you usually want to fight in melee form, other melee carries might punish you for trying to man-fight them, especially if they're more farmed than you). This will provide additional range to your ranged form and good stats, and it can be upgraded in a Hurricane Pike for extra mobility and kiting potential.
- Shadow Blade offers cost effective attack speed and damage increases, strong initiation and mobility, and a mediocre escape. It also upgrades in the improved Silver Edge.
- Diffusal Blade provides good agility and helps you deplete (quickly) a target of its mana.
- Daedalus gives your attacks a great deal of damage. Because maximum attack speed is easily achieveable with his ultimate and passive, Troll Warlord can focus on damage and get multiple Daedalus to crit more often and lifesteal even more.
- Monkey King Bar can also be picked up to counter the evasion of heroes such as Phantom Assassin, and give a big boost to your damage output. The mini bash can also help cancel spells and items that require channeling such as Town Portal Scroll.
- Butterfly provides a massive agility and attack speed bonus as well as evasion. The attack speed part of the item makes perma bashing more likely when your ultimate is over. In addition, the evasion, combined with the blind provided by Whirling Axes provides a great deal of survivability. Finally, the Flutter ability allows you to chase or escape with ease.
|Roles:||Carry Pusher Disabler Durable|
|Playstyle:||Jah'rakal is an intolerable scoundrel, even for a troll. As such, being kicked out of the troll encampment only served to fuel his anger. The next day, he returned with steel in hand, and slew his former comrades in a Berserker's Rage. With each passing blow, the self-styled Troll Warlord accelerates his swings in an irate Fervor. Swapping effortlessly between melee and ranged, he throws his weapons to cripple from afar, while chopping down adjacent foes with Whirling Axes. To challenge Jah'rakal is to invite one's own death. The Troll Warlord enters a Battle Trance, channeling pure hatred into unequaled speed as he decimates his opponents in a storm of bloody axes.|
- Jah'rakal's lore and certain dialogue lines make several references to Internet trolls, a type of identity or role assumed by certain Internet users.
- Troll Warlord's alternate name in DotA was Cory Clark a nod to the famous internet troll.
- Battle Trance's Play sound effect is based on Play this and Play this line combined.
- Troll Warlord's rare Whirling Axes cast response Play "Axes of evil." is a reference to the term "axis of evil" which former U.S. president George W. Bush coined and used many times during his presidency.