- Both and are very effective against Tidehunter,
- Luna often builds . and deal a lot of magic damage in early and mid-game.
- His and are perfect against Kraken Shell and Anchor Smash in all stages of the game.
- Ravage is easy to steal, and you'd rather not give it to the enemy team. Be sure to use Anchor Smash immediately after Ravage when playing against a Rubick.
- can be used when you blink in, denying your initiation and putting you in a bad spot especially if your opponents have s.
- dispels debuffs from Gush, Anchor Smash and Ravage.
- On the other side, Kraken Shell cannot restore attributes stolen by or break the leash if he gets d.
- Ursa can be quite a bully in lane because can neither be dispelled by Kraken Shell nor reduced by Anchor Smash.
- dispels the slow from Gush and if upgraded with can even dispel stun from Ravage.
- Skills that provides spell immunity, e.g. , .
- Disables which cannot be removed by Kraken Shell, e.g. , , .
- 's cannot be dispelled; and the bonus damage he gains from negates some of the protection provided by Kraken Shell.
- Break disables Kraken Shell, abilities such as (via ) or can be used to disable Kraken Shell.
- Percentage based damage is effective on Tidehunter's high health pool.
- prevents nearly all of Tidehunter's spells for its entire duration.
- 's break is one of the only ways to disable Kraken Shell.
- Tidehunter is probably the worst hero to initiate with as Kraken Shell will remove it and he is usually tanky enough to survive and cast Ravage in a middle of enemy team. In the same time if Batrider initiates on his teammate - Tidehunter will have perfect opportunity to counter-initiate.
- Kraken Shell is very useful against and as well.
- Kraken Shell can remove debuff unless Slardar picks his level 25 talent.
- Kraken Shell blocks huge amount of damage from , and dispels when enough damage is taken. It is almost impossible for to solo kill him before she gets her level 18 and an . Add the damage reduction from Anchor Smash on top of that and she shouldn't even scratch you.
- Most summons and illusions can barely hurt Tidehunter at all, after their attacks get reduced by Anchor Smash and blocked by Kraken Shell.
- Tidehunter's AoE-based spell can be effective against summons or illusions-based heroes such as or .
Works well with...
- and are two good spells to combine with ravage.
- combined with Kraken Shell will make you near immune to physical damage before the enemy carries build up some considerable damage.
- Ravage can be a good setup for .
- Since Kraken Shell blocks a static amount of damage, it becomes proportionately more effective the less the enemy heroes deal through right clicks. Therefore, any ally that can reduce their right click damage though a spell or an aura (such as or a negative ) will turn you progressively tankier and harder to kill.
- Tidehunter is a dedicated teamfighter thanks to Ravage and will benefit from other big team fight spells to combine with Ravage ( or to name a couple). The triumvirate of dota (5-man beats ganks beats split-push beats 5-man) holds quite true with Tidehunter : he is somewhat ill-suited to deal with split-push, but very hard to take down in a gank by one or two people.