From Dota 2 Wiki
Bad against...Ember Spirit
- Ember Spirit's deals damage over time, easily removing charges from her Refraction and leaving her vulnerable to other damage sources.
- Venomancer's lingering damage over time debuffs easily remove charges from her Refraction, leaving her defenseless to other damage sources. His slows allow him and his team to catch up to her and follow up, and his s give vision and are able to reapply the DoT debuff.
- In a similar vein to Venomancer, Phoenix's abilities all apply damage over time debuffs that can destroy her Refraction charges, but with the added threat of being able to force her out of hiding via Meld, as Phoenix can just throw all its AoE abilities in the spot she's hiding and either force her to run or be burned to death.
- The damage over time from Viper's and rapidly wear down Refraction charges, allowing Templar Assassin to be damaged. Additionally, causes her attacks to apply damage over time on her as well.
- The damage over time from Dragon Knight's rapidly burns down Refraction, allowing him to attack her. Also, reduces Templar Assassin's damage and is a stun with a considerable duration, letting him and his team whittle her health down once her defenses wear off.
- His can force Templar Assassin out of her Meld and destroy all of her Refraction charges quickly, and her small health pool and meager defense makes her very vulnerable to his without Refraction.
- Huskar's burn damage from is incredibly strong against Templar assassin as it completely cancels out her Refraction from the burning over time which results in making her very vulnerable to being ganked or harassed, and in turn forcing her out of lane.
- Any other Heroes capable of dealing damage over time or have multiple attacking units can be problematic for Templar Assassin as her Refraction charges waste away on any damage instance, regardless of how weak or powerful they are. As such, Heroes like , , , , , and are high threats for her, especially those that deal these damage instances in shorter intervals (like Slark's ).
- Heroes with area-targeted spells (especially nukes) can make Templar Assassin a sitting duck while Melded , so Heroes like , , and can easily flush her out or finish her off.
- True Sight can also prevent Templar Assassin from hiding with Meld. is a big threat for her as he both deals high damage instantly and gives True Sight in only one spell, his . Other Heroes, such as and not only prevent her from going invisible but also tracks her down, meaning even if she buys Blink Dagger, she will easily be spotted and hunted down once her Refraction wears off.
- Illusions might make Templar Assassin useless, since despite the visual effects, Templar Assassin does not spill damage against illusions or buildings, which makes illusion-based heroes, like a large threat. Illusion-based heroes also usually buy a , which can decrease Templar Assassin's mana to 0 in a very short time, rendering her unable to use her abilities, making illusion-based heroes an even larger threat than heroes capable of dealing damage over time.
- can waste Templar Assassin's refaction charges, it's also troublesome for heroes that build a blink dagger (Templar Assassin included).
- Items that grant true sight: , , level 3 .
Good against...Shadow Fiend
- Shadow Fiend's fragility and lack of a natural escape mechanism makes him a great target for Templar Assassin's Meld, and his burst damage and high attack damage is easily nullified by her Refraction.
- Lina's low health and single damage instance nukes allow Templar Assassin to be completely protected from a single ability combo from Lina and possibly even instantly kill her with her increased damage and armor reduction. However, her does give her high attack speed, and her high attack range can remove some Refraction charges if Templar Assassin is spotted before she can get close.
- While Huskar's s may be a deadly ability against Templar Assassin, if she is quick enough, she can quickly kill Huskar as his high magic resistance does not protect against Templar Assassin's high physical damage.
- Necrophos' only spammable spell, has a long enough cooldown to not be able to tear through Refraction very easily, and without proper items, he is a fragile Hero, easily taken down by Templar Assassin's burst damage. And should his health degeneration bring her to ' threshold, if she's quick enough, Refraction can completely protect her from the spell's effects, wasting it.
- Fragile supports such as , and will all easily fall to Templar Assassin's high physical burst damage, and their already low armor makes them even more vulnerable to her armor reduction.
- Heroes with slow burst damage such as , and would have problems trying to damage a Templar Assassin on their own, and if she has Blink Dagger, Refraction also prevents their nukes from putting the item on cooldown, letting her easily catch up and kill them quickly.
- Melee heroes would have problems laning against Templar Assassin, as her Psi Blades can potentially harass them while she's just casually last hitting and denying.
Works well with...Vengeful Spirit
- Vengeful Spirit's and are a very good combination with Templar Assassin. Psionic Trap's slow lasts for a short time, so Vengeful Spirit can provide the means to stop enemies from escaping and bring them to Templar Assassin's range. Her armor reduction and damage-boosting aura can also aid her in team fights, allowing her to deal even more damage.
- Templar Assassin lacks any form of hard disables. Slardar is a good initiator with an AoE stun that deals physical damage. This allows him to initiate for her and deal high damage against groups of enemies with her Psi Blades. In addition, Templar Assassin relies solely on doing burst physical damage, so Slardar's will increase the damage that she inflicts on her target (which can then be spilled onto other targets via Psi Blades).
- Repel gives Templar Assassin much needed magic immunity, and his Purification heals her instantly and deals pure damage to nearby enemies, which might be sure to get hit due to Templar Assassin's short attack range.
- Drow Ranger's can add onto Templar Assassin's already high damage, as she benefits from this for she is a ranged Hero despite her abysmal base range. Drow Ranger' also give an additional slow along with Templar Assassin's own traps, preventing an enemy from escaping, and her silences heroes with escape mechanisms, such as or .
- Other heroes that apply armor reduction can work well with Templar Assassin's burst physical damage, so Heroes such as , , , or Heroes that buy armor reducing items such as can be good companions for Templar Assassin in a team fight.
- Ranged disables allow Templar Assassin to catch up and burst her target down easily. As such, heroes like , , or are invaluable to an ambush or a clash.