Lanaya the Templar Assassin is a very short-ranged agility hero capable of dealing huge bursts of physical damage to swathes of enemies with expert positioning and timing. Unlike most physical damage dealers, Lanaya reaches her damage potential quite early and then scales up from that point with carry items, letting her gank with impunity throughout the mid-game, and her short attack range increases from being comparable to that of a melee hero to a ranged hero with short reach as she levels Psi Blades.
Her Psionic Traps provide map control and the ability to chase down fleeing heroes from up to 2000 range, and Refraction and Meld lets you shrug off high-damage nukes and disjoint projectiles. With a Blink Dagger, Lanaya can quickly materialize in the enemy team's weakest flank and shred several heroes at once with her Meld and Psi Blades.
- Refraction interrupts Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Places 2 buffs on Templar Assassin, named "Damage" and "Absorb". One buff grants instances of damage block and the other instances of bonus attack damage.
- The numbers of left instances are visible on the buff icons. The buffs and the visual effects of the ability are visible to everyone.
- The bonus damage is added as regular attack damage bonus, which is visible in the HUD.
- Loses a bonus damage instance when the attack projectile successfully lands on the target. Missed or disjointed attacks do not count.
- Does not lose instances upon attacking allies, but the damage is still applied.
- When casting Refraction while an attack projectile is traveling, the projectile does not get the bonus damage, but still uses up one instance upon landing.
- The damage absorb fully negates damage, causing several on-damage effects to not trigger.
- Has a higher priority than and , but lower than . However, it still loses a charge when combined with the latter.
- Damage below 5 (after reductions) is completely ignored. It is neither blocked, nor wastes any block instances.
- Refraction negates all 3 damage types. It does not negate damage flagged as HP Removal.
- Meld interrupts Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Turns Templar Assassin instantly invisible and orders her to stop.
- Invisibility is lost upon reaching the cast point of spells or items, upon landing an attack, or upon moving.
- Forced movement also counts, and cancels Meld if moved horizontally. Vertical movement, and Teleporting effects do not cancel it.
- After an attack projectile has been launched, Templar Assassin can perform any action without losing the invisibility.
- However, when the projectile misses (evasion, blind or disjoint), the invisibility is lost at the moment it misses.
- Turns Templar Assassin phased, so that other units may pass through her.
- Templar Assassin can pick up, drop or attack items without breaking the invisibility, considering she does not move while doing so.
- She also can turn without breaking the invisibility.
- The next attack of Templar Assassin which connects with a unit applies the damage and armor reduction ( and the bash).
- This does not necessarily have to be the first attack out of Meld. If somehow a following attack hits another target first (e.g. it teleports away), the new target is affected instead.
- The bonus damage is dealt in a separate damage instance, and counts as attack damage.
- Meld first applies its armor debuff, then Templar Assassin's attack damage, and then the Meld damage ( and then the bash).
- Neither the bonus damage nor the armor reduction from Meld affect buildings.
- Multiple instances of the armor reduction debuff fully stack.
- When the talent is chosen, applies a basic dispel on Templar Assassin upon cast.
- The level 25 talent adds a bash to the Meld attack. Stacks with other bashes.
- Psi Blades increases Templar Assassin's total attack range to 200/260/320/380.
- With no points in Psi Blades, Templar Assassin has an attack range of only 140, but still counts as a ranged hero.
- The spill range is based on the attack target's position, not on Templar Assassin's. So from max attack range, she can hit units up to 790/890/990/1090 range away.
- The affected area has a rectangular shape, with a width of 75 and with the spill range as length.
- Spill damage is based on her attack damage after all reductions.
- Attack modifiers are only applied to the primary target.
- Templar Assassin's position is checked as the projectile hits the target, not upon launching.
- Despite the visual effects, Psi Blades do not spill damage when attacking buildings.
- Psi Blades spill damage when attacking allies or wards.
- Spill damage hits invisible units, but does not hit wards or buildings.
- The traps only slow enemies when they get triggered, not when they are destroyed by attacks, or by exceeding the maximum allowed traps count.
- Psionic Traps do not block neutral creep camps.
- Trap is unlocked when is learned.
- Does not interrupt Templar Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Cannot be cast when the caster has no traps present.
- The slow starts at 30% and increases by 0.75% in 0.1 second intervals, resulting in the following amounts on each second after placement:
- 0 Seconds: 30% slow
- 1 Second: 37.5% slow
- 2 Seconds: 45% slow
- 3 Seconds: 52.5% slow
- 4 Seconds: 60% slow
- The damage is only applied when the trap is fully charged.
- The trap visually changes once fully charged. Its outer ring starts black and turns white once fully charged.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is placed, resulting in 5 damage instances.
- Can deal up to 250/300/350 ( 450/500/550) damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- The source of the damage is the caster, and not the trap itself.
- The damage values are always based on the current level upon triggering the trap, and are not set upon spawning the trap.
- Multiple instances of the debuff do not stack, but get refreshed instead.
- When refreshed, the slow and damage get updated based on how long that trap was charged.
- Requires to be unlocked.
- Teleports to the closest trap from the targeted point. The trap gets detonated upon teleporting.
- Same notes as for apply.
- Casting this while traps are not present does nothing, wasting mana and cooldown.
Psionic Trap ability
- This is cast from the trap itself, allowing Templar Assassin to trigger traps from afar without having to trigger nearby traps first.
- Same notes as for on Templar Assasin apply.
|+200Damage||15||+25 Movement Speed|
|15% Evasion||10||+25 Attack Speed|
- The evasion talent stacks multiplicatively with other sources of evasion.
- give Templar Assassin health regeneration allowing her to stay in the lane for longer.
- , used at the last moment, can save Templar Assassin from death.
- help her sustain the mana cost of her Refraction, which is an essential ability for Templar Assassin in her laning phase.
- give an overall cheap damage, health and mana boost and can be built into a later on.
- is a vital item for every hero in the game in order to escape and chase when necessary.
- is important for saving runes and sustaining her health and mana while she roams the map to find kills.
- is very cost-effective early game item and will be upgraded later to .
- can help Templar Assassin out a lot when facing heroes which spam their abilities. The instant health and mana restore can turn around the outcome of a fight when used properly.
- provides appropriate attributes, increasing her health or mana at will, as well as raising attack speed.
- makes use of the branches and the Magic Stick from earlier and has a stronger potential heal burst.
- True Sight or area spells. is essential to reach Templar Assassin's maximum potential. Although she is technically a ranged hero, her base attack range is similar to that of a melee hero. A Blink Dagger allows her to get in range to attack enemies and land her Meld attack, or to catch up to enemies slowed by her Psionic Trap. In teamfights, it helps her to position herself to use the full potential of Psi Blades. On the other side, it is also a great escaping tool when combined with her spells. Refraction prevents the dagger from getting disabled, but if it does get disabled, Meld can help her hide for a moment and then blink out if the enemy has no
- increases Templar Assassin's damage output immensely, since Templar Assassin only deals physical damage by default (besides Psi Blades). The armor reduction of Desolator fully stacks with that of Meld, allowing her to reduce up to 14 armor on a target. This results in a highly increased damage output, which then translates into higher damage with Psi Blades, since their damage is based on what the initial attack target received. On top of this, Desolator also grants a decent raw attack damage bonus.
- may be required to deal with disables. Although Refraction helps her from taking any kind of damage, it does not stop disables. If avoiding their disables with blink or Meld is not possible, a Black King Bar should be bought.The item also grants some raw damage and a bit of health, increasing her damage output and survivability further.
- , similar to , synergizes well with Templar Assassin as it reduces enemy armor and increases her attack speed, upping her damage output by a massive amount. Besides that, the additional armor compensates for her squishiness. The armor bonuses and reductions of it are also auras, making it a valuable contribution to any teamfight.
- allows Templar Assassin to fight for much longer, as it gives an enormous health boost. However, it should only be bought after having built up some damage first, because being tanky does not help her much when she deals little damage.
- is always a great item for every agility hero, as it increases attack damage and speed by a lot and also provides evasion, helping against enemy attacks. The evasion also synergizes very well with Refraction, as Refraction does not lose any of its damage block charges when Templar Assassin evades attacks.
- can be considered on Templar Assassin if some extra push power is required. If one has quick reflexes, its active can also be used to disjoint enemy attacks and spells. It also provides decent stats and grants some mobility. Keep in mind though that, despite her melee-like attack range, Templar Assassin is still a ranged hero, so the ranged illusion values and cooldown are used.
- is a great item on Templar Assassin, since a critical strike is spread to all enemies with Psi Blades. It also works extremely well together with her high amount of armor reduction from her ability and typical item choices. However, since it is a chance-based effect and is based on her attack damage, other damage increasing items are required first to unlock its high potential.
- grants attributes for tankiness and damage, the slow also keeps enemies in attack range.
- gives Templar Assassin higher range and a good amount of stats that she needs early-mid game: Strength for health and Agility for armor and damage. The increased attack range also allows Templar Assassin to perhaps skip a few points on Psi Blades and focus on maxing out Meld after Refraction instead. Afterward, it may be disassembled to be turned into a , or kept and upgraded into , giving Templar Assassin a second mobility item with Blink Dagger, and its active gives Templar Assassin four possibly unavoidable attacks from any range.
|Playstyle:||Only the Hidden Temple can satisfy Lanaya's infinite thirst for knowledge. In exchange for such wisdom, she pledged to protect its mysteries with her latent psionic abilities. Bending the laws of nature itself, Lanaya forms a Refraction field that absorbs incoming blows, yet amplifies outgoing attacks. She Melds into the background, lying in wait to unleash a burst of psionic energy on unsuspecting targets. Violet light emanates from her fingertips, Psi Blades that outrange any melee weapon, and cuts through lines of foes at once. Persistent in her goals, Lanaya marks the ground with magic circles of eldritch design. Those who walk unknowingly over a Psionic Trap can only limp away from the explosion—for their presence has been revealed, and the Templar Assassin is not far behind.|
- In DotA, Templar Assassin makes numerous references to the game Starcraft, another famous RTS game by Blizzard. Her ability to manipulate psionic energy, the psi blades she wields, and the mention of her master being originally from Aiur in her DotA biography all apply to the Protoss, one of the three main races of the game.
- Although Templar Assassin is a ranged hero, she has a 140 base attack range. This means her attack range is the shortest of all heroes, as melee heroes have an attack range of 150.
- Templar Assassin's rare response upon snapping a trap, ▶️ "It's a trap!" is a reference based on Star Wars' Admiral Ackbar's quote from "Return of the Jedi."
- The response ▶️ "My body is a temple for which I will kill." is a reference to the bible verse John 2:19-22.