|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Sven, the Rogue Knight, is a versatile melee strength hero with superior physical power coupled with powerful utility abilities. He can fulfill various roles, but is often played as a semi-carry due to his high utility even without items. He possesses a versatile arsenal, from Warcry, which grants armor that can be used for escaping as well as pushing, to the throwable Storm Hammer that stuns enemies around the targeted unit. With enough items, Sven has the potential to be a strong late-game carry due to his ultimate, which increases his damage, making him hit up to three times as hard, which can then be used in conjunction with his Great Cleave to secure multiple kills with just a few swings of his sword. This immense power granted to him solely by his ultimate makes him one of strongest late-game carries in the game, and arguably the strongest semi-carry of all, as his killing presence remains even if he decides to build more supportive and tanky utility items. A truly frightening enemy to go up against if farmed, strong and versatile, Sven is a solid addition to almost every team composition.
|Sven, the Rogue Knight|
|Play "May my enemies share the fate of the Shattered Helm."|
|Role:||Carry / Disabler / Initiator / Durable / Nuker|
|Lore:||Sven is the bastard son of a Vigil Knight, born of a Pallid Meranth, raised in the Shadeshore Ruins. With his father executed for violating the Vigil Codex, and his mother shunned by her wild race, Sven believes that honor is to be found in no social order, but only in himself. After tending his mother through a lingering death, he offered himself as a novice to the Vigil Knights, never revealing his identity. For thirteen years he studied in his father's school, mastering the rigid code that declared his existence an abomination. Then, on the day that should have been his In-Swearing, he seized the Outcast Blade, shattered the Sacred Helm, and burned the Codex in the Vigil's Holy Flame. He strode from Vigil Keep, forever solitary, following his private code to the last strict rune. Still a knight, yes...but a Rogue Knight. He answers only to himself.|
|Voice:||David Scully (Responses)|
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an enemy unit.
- Storm Hammer travels at a speed of 1000.
- The projectile has 225 radius flying vision. This vision does not last.
- The projectile blocks neutral creep camps.
- Sven's sword emits some particles during the cast time, visible to everyone.
- Applies basic dispel on the target if respective talent chosen.
- Cleave damage is reduced by Damage Block.
- The complete area is shaped like an isosceles trapezoid in front of Sven.
- Fully stacks with other sources of cleaves. Each source of cleave works completely independent.
- Does not cleave upon attacking wards, buildings or allied units. Wards and buildings are unaffected by cleave.
- Despite the visual effect, cleave damage is applied instantly in the whole area.
- Only increases base damage and that given by the primary attribute of Sven. Raw bonus damage is not increased.
- Checks Sven's main attack damage periodically and adapts the attack damage bonus instantly.
- The strength bonus effectively grants Sven 200/400/600 ( 1000/1200/1400) health, 7.14/14.29/21.43% ( 35.71/42.86/50%) health regeneration and 10/20/30 ( 50/60/70) attack damage.
- The effect added by Aghanim's Scepter is an aura, which is only active while God's Strength is active.
- The aura places the buff on allied heroes, which lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- The bonus attack damage is based on the main attack damage of the affected allies, and not on Sven's own attack damage.
- Just like for Sven, the affected allies' current main attack damage is periodically checked, and the bonuses adapted instantly.
- The aura treats creep-heroes as heroes, thus it fully affects them.
|-9s Storm Hammer Cooldown||25||+40 Strength to God's Strength|
|Storm Hammer Dispels Enemies||20||25% Lifesteal|
|+30 Damage||15||+30 Movement Speed|
|+2 Mana Regen||10||+8 Strength|
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- The lifesteal stacks additively with other sources of lifesteal.
- Iron Branch gives Sven much needed stats, also additional regeneration combined with Tango.
- Tango is needed for early health regeneration.
- Healing Salve gives rapid health regeneration, at a higher cost.
- Stout Shield helps Sven deal with harassment in lane.
- Enchanted Mango helps Sven stay in lane, and allows for an additional Storm Hammer in a pinch.
- Boots of Speed is needed on all heroes.
- Magic Stick provides burst health and mana, useful to keep Sven alive and using abilities.
- Magic Wand is a good choice to consolidate Magic Stick's functionality and the minor attribute boosts when starting with Iron Branches.
- Power Treads synergize well with Sven's build due to the bonuses in attack speed and its requirement of Belt of Strength.
- Mask of Madness compensates for Sven's low attack and move speed and allows to farm faster.
- Blink Dagger greatly improves Sven's mobility, allowing him to initiate teamfights as well as gank unsuspecting enemies, which can make a big difference in game outcomes.
- Daedalus is the attack damage item Sven needs, as it gives Sven the critical chance that allows him to destroy enemies in just a few hits.
- Black King Bar is the most important core item for Sven. It is his only defense against disables, and provides a good boost to damage and strength.
- Quelling Blade can be picked up to help Sven last hit more efficiently in early game.
- Armlet of Mordiggian is a good early teamfight item as it provides overall growth in damage and attack speed as well as additional health and armor while active.
- Echo Sabre essentially acts as a crit, allowing Sven's burst to increase significantly for a cheap price. With Daedalus, Echo Sabre gives Sven twice the chance to crit.
- Drum of Endurance enables Sven to quickly get into combat and survive teamfights. It can be bought if Sven's early game does not go well enough to afford bigger items.
- Assault Cuirass can be considered in the late game, as the negative armor debuff, attack speed and massive armor gain allow for Sven to truly become a tank.
- Boots of Travel is a natural pickup in late game.
- Monkey King Bar is often necessary to counter heroes who purchase evasion items against Sven.
- Satanic provides Sven with a good amount of survivability and damage. The active synergizes well with Sven's high damage, ensuring that he will be able to get back into full health in just a few hits.
- Silver Edge can be an alternative to Blink Dagger, and its break helps Sven against passive defenses.
- Sange and Yasha is an easy item to build if Sven is struggling to build up gold. Its extra movement speed and slow makes it harder for enemies to kite Sven.
- Moon Shard grants a huge boost in attack speed. It is a powerful luxury item that ensures Sven's continued dominance in a winning game.
- Heart of Tarrasque not only provides Sven with much better survivability, it also gives a lot strength bonus, which greatly increases the damage from God's Strength.
- Sven's name is a reference to Sven-Ole Thorsen, a Danish bodybuilder and actor.
- In an earlier version of DotA, Sven had a fun name called Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- The phrases "Play Twas only a flesh wound" and "Play It was but a scratch" are references to the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- The phrases "Play Blame the host" and "Play Bad host" are references to the original Warcraft III DotA gameplay when game stability depended on the quality of internet connection on the host player.
- Storm Hammer was named Storm Bolt in the early beta phases and was renamed into Storm Hammer at one point. It is also its original name in DotA1 and reflected in one of Sven's cast responses in Dota2, where he's referring to it as Play "Storm Bolt".
Sven's default weapon, the Outcast Blade