- can quickly burn Storm Spirit's mana, preventing him from escaping.
- allows Anti-Mage to catch up to Storm Spirit when he tries to use his Ball Lightning to escape.
- deals massive damage to Storm Spirit as well as his teammates, as Storm Spirit depletes his mana pool by using Ball Lightning.
- prevents Storm Spirit from using all of his abilities and items, rendering Storm Spirit useless in a fight.
- absorbs up to 500 magical damage (700 with Level 10 talents), which helps Ember Spirit survive and react to Storm Spirit's high magical damage.
- can root enemies up to 3 seconds, making Storm Spirit unable to escape with Ball Lightning.
- deals high magical damage when casting multiple instances at once, granting Ember Spirit the damage to burst Storm Spirit down in the early to mid game.
- is a silence that can last up to 8 seconds during night, rendering Storm Spirit tied limited to his items in a fight.
- allows Night Stalker to initiate on Storm Spirit across the impassable terrain around the middle lane, rendering Storm vulnerable in the early game and prevent him from snowballing.
- limits the vision from opposing team, as well as Storm Spirit's capability to initiate.
- is capable of removing most of Storm Spirit's large mana pool, along with dealing heavy damage and quickly depleting his chances of escaping a gank or fight.
- prevents Storm Spirit from using his abilities once inside the radius. Riki can utilize this ability to allow his team to fight around Smoke Screen so that Storm Spirit cannot spam his spells to proc Overload.
- is useful against a Storm Spirit, as spamming his many abilities in a fight can make the duration of Arcane Curse increase drastically over time, forcing Storm Spirit to stop using spells..
- prevents Storm Spirit from escaping from ganks and participating in fights. If utilized correctly however, this ability is countered by a .
- cast point, this is very useful for lock down and catching an unwary Storm Spirit before they can escape/participate in a fight or gank. is a six-second silence with no
- Any heroes with stuns or silences: , , , …
- Heroes with mana burn: , , , …
- (and its upgrade ) counters Storm Spirit, not only making him completely helpless but also dealing additional damage. Consider buying this on heroes that build a standard orchid and enjoy attacking at the same time.
- will stop a Storm Spirit from doing anything for 3.5 seconds, giving allies enough time to nuke a Storm Spirit down or lock him down further.
- root will cause difficulty for a Storm Spirit when trying to escape/initiate. 's long range
- Storm Spirit can hunt down Arc Warden with your Ball Lightning and kill him quickly due to his complete lack of escape.
- None of his abilities are effective against Storm Spirit, assuming he has enough mana, even when he has a Tempest Double up.
- Ancient Apparition's only skill to stop Storm Spirit is Cold Feet, which is bad in general when trying to stop a Storm Spirit without any other disable.
- As a fragile support with low Strength gain and no magic resistance, Ancient Apparition is vulnerable to Storm Spirit's combos.
- Storm Spirit is invulnerable during Ball Lightning, rendering ineffective against him.
- Sniper is very squishy and cannot deal with heroes that jump onto him and lock him down, like Storm Spirit. Storm Spirit closes the gap in a fight against a Sniper, plus, he has no great way to escape except for some items.
- Storm Spirit can dodge his assassinate with a correctly timed Ball Lightning.
- Storm Spirit completely ignore trees and impassable terrains with Ball Lightning, rendering them dangerous places for Tinker to hide within.
- Ball Lightning disjoints projectile from and damage from .
- Electric Vortex prevents Tinker from teleporting away.
- Ball Lightning is the ultimate counter to Spectre's entire toolkit. With this ability, he can score easy kills on Spectre without her having any means of escape early game, kite her and her illusions when it's later in the game due to her having no form of pseudo-blinks. Furthermore, it is very difficult for Spectre to deal any substantial damage against Storm Spirit with , and without both a and a he will always remain on the move. Also, Ball Lightning grants invulnerability, and as Storm Spirit likes to spam that ability, he can mitigate the damage done from and .
- Ball Lightning allows Storm Spirit to close the gap between him and Weaver in no time. Once locked down with certain items, Weaver is extremely fragile to Storm Spirit and his teammates.
- Squishy heroes or heroes without hard disables or silences: Shadow Demon, Shadow Fiend, Venomancer, Ancient Apparition etc..
- Heroes that rely on their high mobility such as Queen of Pain, Slark and Weaver can be constantly engaged against due to your excellent ability to chase over any terrain. Make sure you carry dust for Invisible heroes that could potentially escape your clutches.
Works well with...
- In the early game, the occasional cast of can top up Storm Spirit's mana pool, and allow him to leverage one or two more spells in between runes.
- allows you to jump in and wreak havoc on enemies with little fear of being disabled. Omniknight's heal keeps Storm Spirit alive and can damage enemies Storm Spirit engages with his pull.
- The Lifestealer bomb combo can come in handy in a game, the Lifestealer infested inside you makes for a high burst combo against lone targets and is the perfect way for the otherwise immobile Lifestealer to engage in melee combat.
- His will restore a huge amount of mana to Storm when it procs due to Storm Spirit's tendency to spam abilities and build up a large mana pool.
- Tanky intiators that can disable groups of enemies and bear the brunt of spells and disables, allowing you to zip in to weakened or squishy targets and kill them without fear of rebuttal: Clockwerk, Centaur Warrunner, Tidehunter.