Sven, the Rogue Knight, is a versatile melee strength hero with superior physical power coupled with powerful utility abilities. He can fulfill various roles, but is often played as a semi-carry due to his high utility even without items. He possesses a versatile arsenal, from Warcry, which hastens allies and shields them from attacks, to the throwable Storm Hammer that stuns enemies around the targeted unit. With enough items, Sven has the potential to be a strong late-game carry due to his ultimate, which increases his damage, making him hit up to three times as hard, which can then be used in conjunction with his Great Cleave to secure multiple kills with just a few swings of his sword. This immense power granted to him solely by his ultimate makes him one of strongest late-game carries in the game, and arguably the strongest semi-carry of all, as his killing presence remains even if he decides to build more supportive and tanky utility items. A truly frightening enemy to go up against if farmed, strong and versatile, Sven is a solid addition to almost every team composition.
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an enemy unit.
- Storm Hammer travels at a speed of 1000.
- Storm Hammer first applies the damage ( then the instant attack), then the debuff ( then dispel).
- The projectile has 225 radius flying vision. This vision does not last.
- Sven's sword emits some particles during the cast time, visible to everyone.
- If the talent is chosen, applies a basic dispel on all hit enemies.
- When moved along with the projectile.
, Sven is
- While being moved, Sven is fully disabled, untargetable and invulnerable.
- If the movement gets interrupted (with e.g. a teleport), Sven is no longer disabled, untargetable and invulnerable.
- Sven stops moving along with the projectile if the distance between him and the target gets greater than 2200, or when Sven dies.
- In any of these cases, the instant attack is still performed on the target.
- If Storm Hammer gets disjointed, Sven stops traveling as well, but in this case, the instant attack is not performed.
- Cleave damage is reduced by Damage Block.
- The complete area is shaped like an isosceles trapezoid in front of Sven.
- Fully stacks with other sources of cleaves. Each source of cleave works completely independent.
- Does not cleave upon attacking wards, buildings or allied units. Wards and buildings are unaffected by cleave.
- Despite the visual effect, cleave damage is applied instantly in the whole area.
- Only increases base damage and that given by the primary attribute of Sven. Raw bonus damage is not increased.
- Checks Sven's main attack damage periodically and adapts the attack damage bonus instantly.
- The strength bonus effectively grants Sven 200/400/600 health, 1/2/3 health regen, and 10/20/30 attack damage.
|+1sStun Duration||25||+32 STR|
|-5sCooldown||20||+25 Movement Speed|
|Dispels Enemies||15||15% Lifesteal|
|+2.5 Mana Regen||10||+7 Strength|
- Level 10 left talent: +3 mana regen reduced to +2.5.
- Level 10 right talent: +8 strength reduced to +6.
- Level 15 right talent: +30 movement speed reduced to +25.
- Level 20 left talent: -6s cooldown reduced to -5s.
- Level 20 right talent: 25% lifesteal reduced to 20%.
- Level 25 left talent: +1.25s stun duration reduced to +1s.
- Level 25 right talent: +40 strength reduced to +32.
- gives Sven attributes, and additional regeneration when combined with .
- supplies early health regeneration to survive the laning stage.
- gives health restoration as well.
- helps Sven stay in lane, and allows for an additional Storm Hammer in a pinch.
- helps Sven last hit more efficiently in early game.
- is needed on all heroes.
- provides burst health and mana, useful to keep Sven alive and using abilities.
- is a good choice to consolidate 's functionality and the minor attribute boosts when starting with .
- give bonuses in attack speed and strength; he can switch to intelligence for more mana to use abilities.
- compensates for Sven's low attack and move speed and allows to farm faster.
- greatly improves Sven's mobility, allowing him to initiate teamfights as well as gank unsuspecting enemies, which can make a big difference in game outcomes.
- disables, and provides a good boost to damage and strength. is the most important core item for Sven. It is his only defense against
- is the attack damage item Sven needs, as it gives Sven the critical chance that allows him to destroy enemies in just a few hits.
- can be considered in the late game, as the negative armor debuff, attack speed and massive armor gain allow for Sven to truly become a tank.
- is a good early teamfight item as it provides overall growth in damage and attack speed as well as additional health and armor while active.
- essentially acts as a crit, allowing Sven's burst to increase significantly for a cheap price. With , Echo Sabre gives Sven twice the chance to crit.
- enables Sven to quickly get into combat and survive teamfights. It can be bought if Sven's early game does not go well enough to afford bigger items.
- is a natural pickup in late game.
- evasion items against Sven. is often necessary to counter heroes who purchase
- provides Sven with a good amount of survivability and damage. The active synergizes well with Sven's high damage, ensuring that he will be able to get back into full health in just a few hits.
- break helps Sven against passive defenses. can be an alternative to Blink Dagger, and its
- is an easy item to build if Sven is struggling to build up gold. Its extra movement speed makes it harder for enemies to kite Sven.
- grants a huge boost in attack speed. It is a powerful luxury item that ensures Sven's continued dominance in a winning game.
- not only provides Sven with much better survivability, it also gives a lot strength bonus, which greatly increases the damage from God's Strength.
|Roles:||Carry Disabler Initiator Durable Nuker|
|Playstyle:||The Rogue Knight lives by two creeds: Honor, as ordained by his own personal code, and solitude. Using his iron gauntlet, Sven throws out the Storm Hammer to stun multiple foes, then closes in to cut them down with Great Cleave. In the heat of battle, the Rogue Knight calls upon God's Strength, greatly increasing his power as he descends on hapless opponents with his gargantuan blade.|
- Sven is named after Danish bodybuilder and actor Sven-Ole Thorsen.
- In earlier versions of DotA, Sven had the fun name "Arnold Schwarzenegger".
- The phrases "▶️ Twas only a flesh wound" and "▶️ It was but a scratch" are references to the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- The phrases "▶️ Blame the host" and "▶️ Bad host" are references to the original Warcraft III DotA gameplay when game stability depended on the quality of internet connection on the host player.
- ▶️ "Storm Bolt". was named Storm Bolt in the early beta phases and was renamed into Storm Hammer at one point. It is also its original name in DotA1 and reflected in one of Sven's cast responses in Dota 2, where he's referring to it as
Sven's default weapon, the Outcast Blade