- In the early game, Omniknight can look like an easy target for Spirit Breaker, but with and , what could be an opportunity could quickly turn into disaster.
- status resistance. can be used to counter Charge of Darkness by minimizing the damage and lowering the stun duration with
- Spirit Breaker's Greater Bash from all sources (Charge of Darkness or normal attacks) deals lesser damage if he is within the radius of
- Due to this, Spirit Breaker's damage will always be lower when targeting Omniknight.
- attack animation. will continuously prevent Spirit Breaker from using Nether Strike, Charge of Darkness and even right clicking because of his long
- Charge of Darkness can be cancelled by a correctly timed .
- Should Clockwerk or his allies be targeted by Charge of Darkness, he can stop it by casting in Spirit Breaker's path or around the target.
- can stop Charge of Darkness if timed correctly.
- can be used to escape an approaching Spirit Breaker, or lead Spirit Breaker into a bad situation.
- and allows Ember Spirit to dodge Charge of Darkness if timed correctly.
- His high base damage and survivability can match Spirit Breaker's strong laning stage.
- prevents Spirit Breaker from spamming Charge of Darkness, his main source of contribution to the game.
- status resistance less useful.
is a persistent area disable, which makes Spirit Breaker's high
- can also be used to stop an incoming or outgoing Charge of Darkness.
- can be used to protect allies by imprisoning either them or Spirit Breaker.
- will heavily drain Spirit Breaker's intelligence, rendering him almost useless and unable to cast spells. Spirit Breaker's low intelligence also means will deal a lot of damage to him.
- prevents Spirit Breaker from using his spells for the duration.
- 's eidolons have high magic resistance, receiving little damage from Charge of Darkness.
- allows Invoker to interrupt Charge of Darkness and Nether Strike.
- 's long range can be used to cancel Charge of Darkness.
- proccing his Greater Bash. prevents Spirit Breaker from right clicking and thus
- If Medusa activates , the charge will inevitably fail.
- and overall tankiness allows Medusa to easily survive Spirit Breaker's initiation.
- root prevents/interrupts Charge of Darkness. 's
- As a single target focused hero without much damage output, Spirit Breaker is ineffective in general against Meepo. Consider upgrading Nether Strike with to spam AoE stuns against Meepo clones.
- Spirit Breaker will need to rely on his teammates to follow up his initiation, as drains his damage quickly, making a solo gank against Razor hard to accomplish.
- armor, and makes him much less tanky. melts Spirit Breaker's
- can mitigate a large portion of Spirit Breaker's damage since his attacks are slow.
- Treant Protector can also counter initiate Spirit Breaker with and his bash from before he manages to escape.
- can be cast in the path of Spirit Breaker's Charge of Darkness to cancel it.
- provides a way to escape from a gank for Underlord and his teammates.
- Due to Spirit Breaker's low attack speed,
is problematic for Spirit Breaker.
- The zombies summoned from apply a stacking movement speed slow, which can significantly reduce Greater Bash's damage.
- and allows Undying and his allies to survive from incoming ganks of Spirit Breaker.
- Heroes that can cancel Charge of Darkness: , .
- Heroes with ways to protect themselves or allies from Spirit Breaker's initiation:
- Heroes that punish mobile heroes: ,
- Heroes that usually builds as a core item: , , , ,
- Durable heroes: , , ,
- Heroes who continue dealing damage while being stunned: , , , , ,
- Heroes that can slow Charge of Darkness by a huge amount: , , ,
- (and it's upgrade ) prevents Spirit Breaker from right clicking and bashing.
- can be used on yourself or Spirit Breaker to cancel Charge of Darkness and Nether Strike.
- , , , and (and its upgrade ) interrupt Charge of Darkness.
- can prevent Spirit Breaker from right clicking and bashing.
- blocks Charge of Darkness and Nether Strike.
- Anti-Mage usually relies on to escape, but with vision from Charge of Darkness it is easier to catch him.
- Spirit Breaker could single-handedly lock Anti-Mage down for 4 seconds (or even more with lucky bashes), allowing his teammates to follow up.
- As Anti-Mage is an elusive hero who likes to farm alone, Spirit Breaker could choose to charge whenever Anti-Mage is in sight.
- Once caught with dust, Clinkz could be locked down for a long time by Spirit Breaker and has nowhere to escape.
- Charge of Darkness provides shared vision over its target, showing Clinkz even when he is in .
- Ezalor has no abilities that allow him to trade with Spirit Breaker in the early game.
- Spirit Breaker's ideal kind of target is heroes at the back casting spells with not many items but key targets.
- lasts a very short amount of time each tick on Spirit Breaker while Bulldoze is active, meaning he can just walk out of it.
- Lifestealer cannot trade well in the laning stage against Spirit Breakers bash proc chance.
- is his only way of sustain, which Spirit Breaker can pierce and still stun him at any point of the game.
- Being stunned means Lifestealer cannot benefit from .
- Lastly, Bulldoze makes last a very short duration on Spirit Breaker during ganks if he chooses him.
- Charge of Darkness allows Spirit Breaker to catch Nature's Prophet out when he tries to split push.
- Nature's Prophet can't hide in his against Spirit Breaker, as his Charge of Darkness provides vision on its target.
- Spirit Breaker can easily cancel Nature's Prophet's .
- Spirit Breaker can easily cause problems for Phoenix in the early game and continue pursuit even if he dives away with .
- and could be an issue for Phoenix should he choose to disengage after using his spells.
- are rarely going to be a problem because Spirit Breaker relies on his abilities to keep units stunned for a long period of time and will have a shorter duration if Bulldoze is active.
- Bulldoze means Phoenix's debuffs won't last long on Spirit Breaker.
- Spirit Breaker may force out at a convenient time for his team.
- Bulldoze allows Spirit Breaker to not be affected for very long in the mid-game when Skywrath mage is at his strongest.
- is unlikely to kill Spirit Breaker from full HP.
- Skywrath Mage likes to be at the back casting spells. The best kind of target for Spirit Breaker to charge onto.
- Tinker relies on his high mobility from and to survive. Those items don't help him if Spirit Breaker manages to cast Charge of Darkness on him.
- Spirit Breaker can easily cancel and .
- Charge of Darkness and Netherstrike can keep Ursa in place for a long time or stop his team from helping him when he initiates.
- Spirit Breaker is very good in inclosed area fights, such as Roshan's pit.
- is very weak on level 1, however Greater Bash is not.
- Heroes that are squishy by nature are an easy target for Spirit Breaker: , ,
- Heroes that rely on invisibility can be tracked with Charge of Darkness opening them to team attacks: , ,
- Charge of Darkness provides shared vision over its target, keeping track of heroes who rely on invisibility, mobility, or illusions: , ,
- Heroes that rely on escapes to stay alive can be caught and locked down for a long time: ,
- Spirit Breaker's stuns pierce spell immunity, making him a good choice against heroes that heavily rely on ;
Works well with...
- amplifies Spirit breakers damage, giving him higher solo kill potential.
- reveals low health enemies, enabling Spirit Breaker to use Charge of Darkness to finish them off.
enables Spirit Breaker to charge heroes that are outside of the team's field of vision, also granting gold for the rest of the team should the gank succeed.
- also provides bonus movement speed to Spirit Breaker, increasing Greater Bash's damage.
- Bounty Hunter usually scouts areas, hence he can find lone targets for Spirit Breaker to charge.
- provides bonus movement speed to Spirit Breaker, increasing Greater Bash's damage.
- gives Spirit Breaker extra attack speed and thus a higher chance to proc Greater Bash.
- can turn a Charge of Darkness into a three man gank.
- allows Lifestealer to come along when Spirit Breaker uses Charge of Darkness, for both ganking and escaping.
ing Spirit Breaker gives him a massive buff to his movement speed, increasing Greater Bash's damage.
- With spell immunity. , Lifestealer can also give Spirit Breaker increased movement speed for more damage and
- allows Spirit Breaker to increase his movement and Charge of Darkness speed, decreasing his target time to counter, while simultaneously increasing his damage.
- can be a very strong combo with Charge of Darkness in the early game.
- is much easier to use when a tanky hero is causing a distraction, which Spirit Breaker is very good at doing.
- Heroes with attack speed buffs: ( , , , )
- Heroes that can give extra movement speed to Spirit Breaker: ( )