Barathrum, the Spirit Breaker, is a powerful ganker-type melee strength hero that excels at focusing on and taking out lone targets in skirmishes, while lacking presence in larger team fights. His Charge of Darkness lets him charge rapidly towards any enemy visible on the map, while knocking off all enemies in his path. If you see the charge coming, it may already be too late. He is picked mostly for his high damage given by his Greater Bash which crushes the life out of his helpless victims. Barathrum can instantly and quickly move to his enemy via Nether Strike and shock them with a soul-bashing blow. Tanky, mobile and with an array of high-damage knockbacks, including a passive one attached to his right clicks, Spirit Breaker's ganking capabilities are second to none.
- Goes on cooldown once the charge ends or is cancelled, not upon cast.
- The charge indicator above the target is visible to allies only.
- During Charge of Darkness, Spirit Breaker moves through other units and impassable terrain.
- The charge is cancelled when Spirit Breaker gets stunned, cycloned, hexed, rooted, slept, hidden, feared or hit by Forced Movement.
- The charge is not cancelled by taunts. Instead, Spirit Breaker starts attacking the taunting unit once the charge stops.
- Charge of Darkness cannot be manually canceled during taunts.
- Spirit Breaker can cancel it by issuing a targeted order, like attacking, moving, casting or any targeted item.
- Non-targeted items and do not cancel the charge.
- Since it is not a channeling spell, shift-queuing orders does not work and causes the charge to get cancelled.
- Except for shift-queuing Patrol commands, in which case, the charge does not get cancelled.
- However, when the charge ends, Spirit Breaker is issued an attack order which overwrites the shift-queued orders.
- When auto-attack is enabled, Spirit Breaker can automatically attack units when close enough, without cancelling the charge.
- Spirit Breaker is moved via Forced Movement. His movement speed is completely unrelated, so slows have no effect.
- This also means that does not deal damage based on the charge speed.
- Any unit which comes within 300 radius of Spirit Breaker during the charge gets hit by the current level of Greater Bash.
- The bash radius is offset by 20 units in front of Spirit Breaker, so it can hit units 280 range behind and 320 range in front of him.
- If the target dies during the charge, it is transferred to the nearest valid target within 4000 range of the previous target.
- The charge provides shared vision over the targeted unit. This means it still continues when the target turns invisible.
- Does not provide vision when targeting neutral creeps.
- Destroys trees within a small radius around Spirit Breaker whenever the charge ends.
- The buff is placed upon reaching the target and lasts for 0.1 seconds. Its purpose is unknown.
- Empowering Haste does not interrupt Spirit Breaker's channeling spells upon cast.
- When cast, the movement speed bonus increases for Spirit Breaker to 11%/16%/21%/26% and for his allies to 7%/10%/13%/16% for 6 seconds.
- The effect is bound to the cooldown of the ability. The speed bonus stays increased until the cooldown reaches the 14th second.
- This means the speed bonus reverts to default values when the cooldown gets reset.
- causes it to revert sooner, while causes it to revert later.
- Empowering Haste's buff lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Does not stack with other bashes. The bash from and is completely disabled for Spirit Breaker.
- Greater Bash first applies the debuff, then the damage, no matter whether it procs on attacks, or is applied by Spirit Breaker's abilities.
- Greater Bash's effects happen before the attack damage of the attack that procs it, and before Nether Strike's damage.
- Knocks back bashed units 143/152/158/162 distance, over 0.5 seconds, resulting in a speed of 286/304/316/324.
- Also knocks affected enemies 50 units upwards, resulting in a small arc. This has only visual purposes.
- With the movement speed limits of 100 to 550, min and max possible damage (before reductions) are 12/24/36/48 and 66/132/198/264 ( 42/54/66/78 and 231/297/363/429).
- The bonus damage is dealt in a separate damage instance, and counts as spell damage.
- Greater Bash's effects are applied before the attack damage, first applying its knockback, then its damage, and then the speed boost.
- Can proc on stunned. , putting it on cooldown and giving the movement speed boost, but Roshan is neither knocked back nor
- Adds an average of 2.04%/4.08%/6.12%/8.16% of Spirit Breaker's movement speed as magical damage to every attack.
- Adds an average of 7.14%/9.18%/11.22%/13.26% of Spirit Breaker's movement speed as magical damage to every attack when the damage increasing talent is chosen.
- Adds an average of 5.04%/10.08%/15.12%/20.16% of Spirit Breaker's movement speed as magical damage to every attack when the proc chance increasing talent is chosen.
- Adds an average of 17.64%/22.68%/27.72%/32.76% of Spirit Breaker's movement speed as magical damage to every attack when both talents are chosen.
- Bashes procced by and grant the movement speed boost as well.
- Greater Bash uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Nether Strike does not disjoint projectiles upon cast.
- Places the debuff on the target during the cast time.
- Nether Strike instantly moves Spirit Breaker on the opposite side of the target, 54 range away from it.
- Instantly applies
on the target based on its current level. The bash is applied before its own damage is.
- The knockback distance is doubled, knocking units 286/304/316/324 distance, over 0.5 seconds, resulting in a speed of 572/608/632/648.
- The knockback height stays the same at 50.
- If Greater Bash is not learned, Nether Strike does not bash the target. All of its other effects are applied normally.
- Spirit Breaker is ordered to attack the target. This attack order ignores the auto-attack settings.
- Can be cast on couriers, applying all its effects, although the magical damage does not affect couriers.
- The Greater Bash radius added by is centered around Spirit Breaker.
- The buff is placed upon reaching the target and lasts for 0.1 seconds. Its purpose is unknown.
|+40 Damage||15||+10 Health Regen|
|+5 Armor||10||+600 Night Vision|
- helps Spirit Breaker sustain during the laning phase, preventing him from returning to base due to enemy harassment.
- restores health as well.
- harassing consistently. will greatly reduce incoming damage from physical damage during the laning phase. This is most helpful when the lane has one or more ranged heroes
- is a cheap and effective way to improve Spirit Breaker's low mana pool, as well as his health pool.
- are essential for Spirit Breaker, as the improved speed will allow him to escape deadly situations, as well as catching up to an escaping enemy. The bonus movement speed will also provide additional damage because of Greater Bash.
- is a useful burst health/mana item if the enemies in lane will be casting many spells. It can later be built into a .
- is a helpful item when roaming or ganking. Assuming a gank is successful, Spirit Breaker can use the Urn of Shadows to heal without returning to the fountain. The bonus mana regeneration also allows him the ability to use Charge of Darkness far more frequently.
- give additional attack speed, as well as durability and damage, all of which increase the effectiveness of Greater Bash.
- is good for burst health/mana while providing a boost to his attributes compared to the .
- gives bonus attack speed and movement speed when activate, increasing both the damage and frequency of Greater Bash attacks.
- makes you immune to many abilities that interrupt your Charge of Darkness, allowing you to engage and damage your target unimpeded.
- will give Spirit Breaker a large increase in attack speed, as well as providing an attack speed/armor aura to nearby allies. The extra attack speed will cause Greater Bash to occur more frequently.
- grants you invisibility which could be useful for escape or to further increase your ganking/roaming capabilities. Attacking to break invisibility will disable enemy passives, reduce their damage, and give you a powerful 175 damage strike. It also grants a decent amount of attack speed, attack damage and attribute bonuses, it can also be used during charge before hitting your target in order to avoid getting disabled and thus avoiding breaking your charge.
- improves Nether Strike by greatly reducing its cooldown, as well as increasing its range. It also causes all nearby units to be hit by Greater Bash. This can be a good choice if your team needs a powerful initiation spell.
- disarm enemy carries relying on physical damage. will not only increase Spirit Breaker's durability from physical attacks because of the added evasion, its active ability can
- lifesteal given by , making it a useful purchase when used correctly. grants Spirit Breaker additional attack speed and damage output at the cost of his health every second. However, the life drain can mostly be countered by the
- increases attacks damage and allows Spirit Breaker to hit enemies with evasion.
- increases the movement speed and attack speed of both himself and his team. The bonus movement speed and attack speed synergize well with Greater Bash.
- gives Spirit Breaker the largest single-item-slot increase in attack speed in the entire game, which causes Greater Bash to occur very frequently. Thus, it should be considered to keep it through the majority of the game until a more effective item can be purchased, at which point the Shard can be consumed and replaced - The attack speed bonus will be halved, but having a permanent 60 attack speed bonus without needing an inventory slot for it is extremely useful.
- also gives you invisibility while also making you much more magic resistant during the invisibility, making escapes significantly easier, and can be activated before using Nether Strike to avoid being interrupted without needing a . It also gives him magic resistance, making him a stronger tank.
- gives you good survivability stats and mana regen to allow you to use Charge of Darkness with little need to ever return to base for more mana. Its active will also make your initiation abilities stronger as spellcasters will need to think twice before attacking to nuke you or shut you down.
- should be carried against invisible heroes and heroes that tend to build into such as Slark or Shadow Fiend. Not carrying dust allows such enemies to easily escape your ganks. However, Charge of Darkness will outline an enemy even when they are invisible, so allies can still chase and utilize AoE abilities even without detection.
|Roles:||Carry Initiator Disabler Durable Escape|
|Playstyle:||From the elemental realm, Barathrum crosses into this world as an amalgamate of bestial forms, selected for the purpose of serving his hidden master. Gifted with Empowering Haste, the Spirit Breaker's strength increases with speed, and inspires nearby allies to keep the heady pace. Given sight of a distant foe, Barathrum initiates a Charge of Darkness, rushing past high valleys and dense woods until he crashes headlong into battle, stunning and knocking back enemies with a Greater Bash. Before foes can muster a response, the Spirit Breaker shifts into his native realm, reappearing up close to deliver the Nether Strike that will seal their fates.|
- Barathrum's fun names are Roadrunner and Space-Cow, the latter of which is referenced by Play "You aren't half bad, for a space cow." The line about the spirit breaker being a "Space-Cow" Is likely a reference to Astral Trekker, one of the famously imbalanced DotA heroes, whose model was reworked into the original Spirit Breaker model. 's ally line:
- "Barathrum" means "underworld" in Latin.
- His response Play "Rampage" might be a reference to who used to be his equivalent in Heroes of Newerth (most of the HoN hero abilities changed since the port)
- Charge of Darkness' indicator is the astrological sign of Taurus, the Bull.