Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Kardel Sharpeye, the Sniper, is a ranged agility hero who excels at dealing moderate to heavy damage from an incredible range. With no escape mechanism, poor mobility, and only a modest health pool, Sniper is exceptionally frail at all stages of the game and vulnerable to enemies who confront him head-on. However, his abilities provide him both the means to keep his distance and systematically destroy his enemies from afar. Shrapnel is a potent, high-cast range zoning ability that provides vision for Sniper while slowing and damaging enemies in its area of effect; with up to 3 charges on the ability, Sniper can completely close off any viable routes for his opponents to approach or escape. Headshot supplements Sniper's right-click damage and briefly stops enemies when it procs, which can be quite debilitating since it has a high rate of occurring. His third ability, Take Aim, gives him the largest attack range of any hero in the game, allowing him to deal high DPS from a safe distance while also giving him the ease to switch between targets at a moment's notice. Finally, Assassinate is a strong finishing and harassing ability, dealing hefty damage to an enemy from an enormous distance after a brief aiming period. Sniper is heavily item-dependent, relying on means to increase his survivability as well as his damage output as the game progresses. Skilled players will find that positioning is the most important thing to keep in mind when playing both as him or against him.
- Sniper gets all 3 charges immediately upon learning Shrapnel.
- Choosing the extra charges talent also immediately grants the 6 charges.
- Shrapnel starts dealing damage, slowing and providing vision after the effect delay.
- Provides 450 radius flying vision at the targeted area.
- The damage and the slow are both provided by an aura. Its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds. Multiple instances of the aura do not stack.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting immediately as the debuff is placed, resulting in up to 11 possible damage instances.
- Can deal up to 165/385/605/825 damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- Does not affect buildings.
Slow and knockback persist if debuffs were placed before spell immunity and when not dispelled.
- Headshot can miss.
- The proccing attack first applies the debuffs, then its own damage.
- The bonus damage is dealt in one instance together with the attack damage, and counts as attack damage as well.
- Increases Sniper's attack damage output on average by 12/24/36/48.
- Headshot uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Interrupts Sniper's channeling spells upon cast.
- When cast, Sniper receives a buff which doubles the range bonus of Take Aim.
- The buff has no set duration. It lasts until performing an attack, or until dying. This means the outcome of the attack does not matter.
- The cooldown starts upon losing the buff in any way. It does not start upon cast.
- Passively increases Sniper's total attack range to 650/750/850/950 ( 775/875/975/1075).
- The projectile travels at a speed of 2500.
- Although the stun duration is set to 0.01 seconds, it lasts 0.03-0.04 seconds due to the server tick rate limit.
- Assassinate places a debuff on the target as soon as Sniper begins casting.
- The debuff lasts 4 seconds, or until the projectile lands, or the cast gets canceled.
- The debuff grants shared vision with the targeted unit. Does not provide any vision when targeting neutral creeps.
- The debuff grants True Sight over the target, meaning it cannot be canceled or be disjointed with invisibility without True Sight immunity.
- The debuff is visible to everyone. The cross hair above the target is visible to allies only.
- Can directly target invulnerable units, and does not get canceled if the target turns invulnerable during the cast time.
- The vision debuff is not placed when targeting an invulnerable unit, but stays if the unit turned invulnerable during the cast time.
- The projectile does not affect the target if it is still invulnerable on impact.
- Cannot target hidden units and does get canceled when the target turns hidden.
- The initial weapon loading sound during the cast time is audible to Sniper only.
- When upgraded, Assassinate targets every player-controlled unit within the target area, placing the debuff on all player-controlled units.
- However, upon reaching the cast point only heroes, illusions and creep-heroes are hit by projectiles. Other targeted units are not hit.
- Since the vision debuff disappears only when the projectile hits, or the cast gets canceled, it lasts for the full 4 seconds on all other targets.
- Unlike the default version, the upgraded Assassinate fully ignores invulnerable units, neither initially targeting them, nor launching a projectile.
- All targets are marked upon cast. Entering or leaving the area during the cast time has no effect.
- While the single-target version is subject to the motion buffer range, the area targeted version is not, so that distance cannot cancel the cast.
- This means even if an enemy teleports away after being marked, Sniper still launches the projectile towards them.
- If no valid targets are within the area, the spell still gets cast, wasting mana and cooldown.
- instant attack on all targets.
causes Sniper to perform an
- The projectile is still the regular Assassinate projectile, but having its damage set to 0. The instant attack is perfomed as it hits its target.
- These instant attacks do not use Sniper's attack projectile speed, they hit their targets instantly.
- These attacks have True Strike, and can therefore never miss. They also ignore disarms.
- Can proc any attack modifier on all of the hit targets normally. Can also proc any on-hit effects, including Damage Block.
- These attacks have an ensured critical strike. They also always proc .
|+6Charges||25||+125 Attack Range|
|-1.5sCast Time||20||+35 Knockback Distance|
|+20%Slow||15||+40 Attack Speed|
|+20 Damage||10||25% Cooldown Reduction|
- improves Sniper's early stats, and can be built into a later on.
- helps with Sniper's naturally low base damage, allowing him to last hit better.
- helps Sniper score last hits.
- helps Sniper stay in lane.
- not only rejuvenates Sniper, using it at the last second can save also save him from a gank.
- is useful in emergencies and gives Sniper some much-needed survivability.
- boosts Sniper's early stats, keeping him viable in his vulnerable early game stage.
- is usually picked up by supports but can be useful on Sniper to help offset his low mobility.
- helps Sniper resist harassment and gankers.
- gives Sniper the ability to switch between strength for survivability, agility for damage, and even intelligence for extra mana to use a clutch Assassinate.
- greatly improves Sniper's mid-game damage, and its debuff can be safely applied from long range on multiple enemies.
- attack range to a maximum of 1215, allowing him to shoot down opponents before they can close the gap. increases Sniper's
- greatly increases Sniper's attack speed and provides a moderate boost to his movement speed. The lifesteal is good for farming and can save Sniper in a head-to-head fight, while Silence doesn't hurt him so much. Another good choice can be for damage and survivability boost.
- summoned units like . Combined with more attack speed items, the lightning damage will trigger continuously. is excellent against groups of enemies, or heroes with numerous
- , upgraded from Dragon Lance, provides additional means of escape and/or positioning.
- gives Sniper massive damage in the late game, and lets him tear through enemies in just a few shots.
- give Sniper movement speed boost to chase enemies.
- is often picked up by beginners, as it gives Sniper a much-needed escape mechanism, as well as enabling him to position himself in team engagements. It also gives a damage boost to Sniper's first attack when cloaked.
- is a decent upgrade to , and can be useful on more offense-oriented Snipers.
- sacrifices damage for a great boost to Sniper's survivability, as well as adding a slow debuff that helps keep enemies within Sniper's range.
- is a natural progression from , but is sometimes skipped in favor of other direct damage boosting items.
- evasion. However, it provides no defensive boosts and can be quite expensive. grants a great increase in damage, and is usually necessary to deal with
- evasion and armor give him considerably more survivability against opposing carries. is a costly but useful item if Sniper is struggling against physical carries. The attack speed and damage boosts Sniper's combat capabilities a little, while the
- status resistance. It also provides more movement speed to help in chasing or kiting enemies. boosts survivability with bonuses to strength and
|Playstyle:||With a single bullet, Kardel Sharpeye pierced the steepstalker's central eye from the valley floor, an ominous act that resulted in his ritual exile. He would win acclaim on a field of battle, or never return. Like his mountain kin, the Sniper is one with his firearm. He Takes Aim from great distances, and scores Headshots that stop his targets dead. Armed with a modular rifle, Kardel launches incendiary rounds to rain burning Shrapnel over entrenched positions. No enemy is safe within the range of the Sniper's scope. Kardel pauses to line up his crosshairs, compensating for every variable before he Assassinates his mark in one fatal shot.|
- A number of Sniper's lines are either direct quotations or paraphrases of lines used by the Sniper class in Team Fortress 2, a popular class-based shooter also by Valve. Such phrases include:
- One of Sniper's lines while bottling a rune is ▶️ "Jarate!", which is a reference to Team Fortress 2 in-game weapon for Sniper class, Jarate.
- One of Sniper's lines while casting his ultimate is ▶️ "Boom headshot!", which is a reference to the Pure Pwnage mockumentary series.
- Incidentally, his voice actor, Gary Schwartz, also voices the Heavy Weapons Guy and Demoman in Team Fortress 2.
- Sniper's line, "▶️ Inconceivable!" is likely a reference to Vizzini's catchphrase in the film The Princess Bride due to the similarities in both the appearance and voices of the two.
- Sniper's name, Kardel Sharpeye, is a reference to professional Counter-Strike player Kyle "Ksharp" Miller of team 3D, who is regarded for his skillful AWP (Sniper rifle) use.
- Sniper's fun name in DotA was Vasily Zaitsev, a highly skilled Russian sniper who was active during World War 2.
- Sniper's line, "▶️ What a dum-dum!" is a pun on the Expanding bullet, also known as a dum-dum. It is designed to expand on impact in order to limit penetration and create a wound larger in diameter.
- Sniper's line, "▶️ Oh, a few bullets more!" is a reference to the film For a Few Dollars More.