Ostarion, the Skeleton King, is a powerful melee strength hero, capable of taking plenty of damage before dying. His ultimate allows him to rise again, acting like an Aegis of the Immortal, making him especially difficult to kill. He also has a nuke that deals reliable damage and stuns, and he is able to stay in his lane longer because of his passive lifesteal aura. He can become a hard carry in later stages of the game depending on his farm.
|File:Minimap icon.png Ostarion, the Skeleton King|
|Play "Bone is strongest where it's mended."|
|Lore:||The victim of a longevity spell that backfired, the Skeleton King Ostarion has built an empire from the bones of his enemies. He lives only to extend his reach, for as long as he is perpetually building and adding to his domain he cannot die. The walls of his palace are formed of fired bone; the streets are paved with bones of every sort of creature and every enemy; and even the wood and other natural features of his land have been swept away and replaced with replicas formed of bone. From the Ivory Forest to Ostarion's towering Throne of Bone, nothing happens in the Empire of Bones without the full knowledge of its Skeleton King.|
|Voice:||Dave Fennoy (Responses)|
- Hellfire Blast travels at a speed of 1000.
- Deals the base damage instantly upon hitting, and the damage over time in 1 second intervals, starting immediately after the stun.
- Can deal up to 80/160/230/300 damage (before reductions).
- Skeleton King does not revive if he does not have enough mana.
- If Skeleton King has an Aegis of the Immortal and Reincarnation off cooldown, the latter triggers first.
- Reincarnation cannot be prevented in any way as long as Skeleton King has enough mana and the ability is off cooldown.
- Slow is applied at the beginning of the revival, not the end.
- Buying a Healing Salve or a Tango provides Ostarion with a decent amount of regeneration in the laning phase.
- Buying a Clarity gives Ostarion more opportunities to set up kills early on with Hellfire Blast.
- Starting with two Iron Branches give Skeleton King enough mana pool to cast Hellfire Blast two times at level 1.
- A Quelling Blade is an excellent starting item for Ostarion as it allows him to get last hits easier. It also makes Mortal Strike hit harder against creeps and increases the effectiveness of Vampiric Aura when attacking creeps.
- A Magic Stick can sometimes be the difference between a death and a kill. Its active usually grants enough mana to sustain Reincarnation.
- Boots of Speed provide an excellent boost of speed for any hero.
- A Helm of Iron Will can be built into an Armlet of Mordiggian later on and gives extra survivability in the form of armor and health regeneration.
- Magic Wand provides the same kind of benefit as the Magic Stick does, but it also provides a small amount of attributes. It makes great use of the earlier bought branches, making room for new items.
- Power Treads increases Ostarion's damage per second; attribute switching can also make his limited mana pool go much further if the treads are switched to intelligence.
- Armlet of Mordiggian is Ostarion's main DPS item. It is also easy to negate the health drain with the help of Vampiric Aura.
- Desolator makes Ostarion's physical attacks to hit harder, especially against targets with already low armor. Vampiric Aura also benefits greatly from it, as it heals based on dealt damage after armor reduction.
- Black King Bar negates Ostarion's main weakness: being chain-stunned and then burst down after Reincarnation. Furthermore, as long as he is not disabled, he can keep hitting enemies, healing himself up with his aura.
- Assault Cuirass increases Ostarion's damage output by increasing his attack speed and further reducing enemy armor. The aura from this item also increases his team's armor and attack speed. Since Skeleton King usually survives longer, the item's aura provides more impact.
- Abyssal Blade not only gives Ostarion some health and a decent attack damage boost, it also gives his attacks a chance to bash and, on top of Hellfire Blast, another active stun which also pierces spell immunity, which is very handy as he is easy to run away from if his own stun is on cooldown.
- Heart of Tarrasque gives Ostarion a great health, health regeneration and attack damage boost, making him even harder to kill and harder to ignore.
- Heaven's Halberd gives Ostarion some evasion against enemies which rely on their physical attacks, and lets him cut off an enemy carry from their primary source of damage for a while.
- Monkey King Bar increases Ostarion's attack damage, counters enemies with evasion abilities or items such as Butterfly or Heaven's Halberd, and provides him with a high chance to interrupt channeling spells when Hellfire Blast is not an option.
- Divine Rapier is an excellent item for Ostarion to get due to it not dropping if Reincarnation activates upon death, thus making it less likely for him to lose it. When carrying the Aegis of the Immortal, Ostarion has to die 3 times to lose the Rapier. The great damage boost also increases his endurance by improving his lifesteal aura's returns.
|Roles:||Durable Carry Disabler|
|Playstyle:||On the millennial solstice known as Wraith-Night, Ostarion stood frozen amid the carnage, absorbing innumerable souls as his champions sacrificed their lives for the King. Now brimming with Wraith Essence, Ostarion immobilizes his adversaries with Wraithfire Blast, stunning and searing them over time. His greatsword smashes foes in one Mortal Strike, sapping their essence to feed his Vampiric Aura. Only fools trust the erratic reports of Ostarion's death. For when slain, the wraith energies that bind his body begin to reconstitute his parts, joining limb to torso until the Wraith King's Reincarnation comes full circle.|
- In DotA, Ostarion was known as King Leoric. Leoric was a recurring boss in the Diablo franchise, another game made by Blizzard. He is an iconic boss in Diablo; he reprises his role in Diablo III, through the alias "Skeleton King."
Low Violence model