Nortrom, the Silencer, is a ranged intelligence hero who can be played as a support, carry, or initiator. He is one of the few intelligence heroes that truly benefit from intelligence items and is effective against heroes that rely mostly on spells, as he can silence them while stealing their intelligence and adding it to his own. He is a notorious anti-caster hero who can disrupt the magical abilities of his enemies and cripple spellcasters throughout the game. Arcane Curse slows and causes enemies to lose health for a set duration, but increases with each spell the enemy casts, forcing them to either wait and cast no spell until it expires, or cast spells and prolong the debuff and thus take more damage. Last Word places a curse on Nortrom's target that damages and silences for a long duration if the target casts a spell. If the target does not cast a spell before the curse duration ends the effects are the same. Glaives of Wisdom is an active attack modifier that deals a percentage of Nortrom's intelligence as pure damage. Nortrom's ultimate, Global Silence, silences all enemy units on the map for a few seconds. A well-timed Global Silence can be used to save yourself or an ally, initiate a teamfight, or ruin the enemy's initiation.
Silencer has the unique innate ability, Intelligence Steal, which permanently steals the intelligence of enemy heroes that die near him or are directly killed by him and adds it to his own. This rewards his presence in teamfights, also making his glaives ever stronger as the battle goes on.
- This is an innate ability and does not need to be skilled. It is not bound to any ability, but to Silencer himself.
- Stolen intelligence is directly removed from the enemy's base intelligence and added to Silencer's base intelligence.
- Can only steal from base intelligence + intelligence gained from levels. Bonus intelligence cannot be stolen.
- It does not matter how an enemy hero within the radius dies, Silencer always steals its intelligence.
- Silencer also always steals intelligence when he deals the killing blow on an enemy hero, regardless of distance.
- However, Silencer needs to be alive as the kill happens to steal the intelligence.
- Cannot steal intelligence from illusions or hero clones.
- When Silencer kills a clone however, he does steal intelligence, since killing a Meepo clone also kills the main Meepo.
- Cannot reduce enemy base intelligence below 1. Silencer also does not gain intelligence from heroes that are at 1 intelligence.
- The bonus intelligence steal does not apply retroactively, meaning that taking the talent will not increase the amount of intelligence already stolen.
- Enemy non-intelligence heroes effectively lose 24 ( 48) mana, 0.1 ( 0.2) mana regen and 0.14% ( 0.28%) spell damage.
- Whenever an affected unit casts a spell, the duration is increased by 5. This effect has no stack limit.
- If an affected unit gets silenced, the duration and the damage are paused until the silence expires.
- However, the slow is not paused while silenced and still slows affected enemies.
- Successive casts of Arcane Curse fully stack, always placing an independent debuff.
- Deals damage in 1 second intervals, starting 1 second after the debuff is applied, resulting in 6 (+5 per penalty) instances.
- Can deal up to 96/144/192/240 (+80/120/160/200 per penalty) ( 276/324/372/420, +230/270/310/350 per penalty) damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- The sound effect played on every damage instance is only audible to the affected unit's player.
- The bonus damage is dealt in a separate damage instance, and counts as spell damage.
- Deals its damage before the attack damage is applied, but still depends on the attack hitting the target.
- Checks Silencer's intelligence upon projectile hit, so increasing or decreasing his intelligence while the projectile flies does affect its damage.
- Steals intelligence before applying its damage, so it does affect Glaives of Wisdom damage right away.
- Also reduces the target's current mana by 12 per stolen intelligence, instead of keeping the current mana percentage.
- Effectively removes 12/12/24/36 current mana from the target. This lost mana is returned upon the debuff expiring.
- Unlike on the target, Silencer keeps his current mana percentage upon gaining and losing the intelligence.
- Cannot reduce enemy intelligence below 0, but Silencer always gains the full amount of intelligence, no matter how much the target has left.
- Target effectively loses 12/12/24/36 mana, 0.05/0.05/0.1/0.15 mana regen and 0.07%/0.07%/0.14%/0.21% spell damage (and 1/1/2/3 attack damage if it is an intelligence hero).
- Vice versa, effectively increases Silencer's mana, mana regen, spell damage, and attack damage by the same amount per cast.
- Each attack places a new on both, Silencer and the target. This means their durations are independent from each other.
- The counter modifiers on both, Silencer and his targets, show how much intelligence they gained/lost.
- Upon death, the dying hero's intelligence restores back to its normal values, while the other party keeps the changed intelligence values for the remaining duration.
- Cannot steal intelligence from illusions or from clones. Can steal from .
- When the target casts a spell during the initial debuff, it gets damaged, then silenced, and then the cast spell goes off.
- Since the spell counts as cast, the silence does not prevent it from happening. Although the silence happens first, the spell's effects are already queued up.
- However death does stop the spell, meaning when the damage from Last Word is enough to kill the target, the cast spell does not go off.
- This also means that damage negating spells like and spells that provide spell immunity do not block its damage.
- Does not trigger on toggle abilities, active attack modifiers and the abilities listed here.
- Triggers on channeling spells, but waits for the channeling to stop first.
- Last Word does trigger on . However, it only applies its effects when Phase Shift is canceled by the player prematurely.
- When the initial debuff expires, it still damages and silences the target.
- If the target has no intelligence, only the base damage is applied.
- The curse first applies the debuffs, then the damage.
- Grants shared vision as long as the 4 second initial debuff is on.
- turns Last Word into an area-targeted spell, so that it cannot directly target units anymore.
- The silence affects spell immune, invisible and invulnerable creeps, summons and heroes. Does not affect hidden units.
- The sound effect of Global Silence which plays on each enemy's hero has the highest sound priority in the game.
- This means it heavily tones down other game sounds for enemies, making it basically the only sound they can hear during the silence.
|+30Damage||20||+125 Attack Range|
|+25 Attack Speed||10||+6 Armor|
- Level 15 right talent: Replaced +120 Gold/Min with +12% slow.
- Reduced agility gain from 3 to 2.4.
- Reduced attack projectile speed from 1000 to 900.
- Now steals 1/1/2/3 intelligence for 10/20/30/40 seconds.
- Reduced intelligence as damage from 25%/45%/65%/85% to 15%/35%/55%/75%
- Now deals extra damage based on 1.5/2/2.5/3 times the difference between Silencer's and the target's intelligence.
- Reduced base damage from 75/150/225/300 to 80/120/160/200.
- Old: Causes to pierce Spell Immunity and deal 100% more damage against silenced units.
- New: Turns into a 600 radius ground-targeted ability.
- sustains Silencer's health in lane; as a support, he can also share the item with his team.
- also restores health to Silencer or an ally.
- allows Silencer to harass enemies with his abilities as needed.
- provides damage for securing last hits and denies.
- has all the benefits of Magic Stick, along with providing stats and greater charge storage. As Silencer is quite vulnerable to enemy attacks even as a carry, burst HP regen is always helpful.
- help Silencer get close enough to use abilities, and potentially get kills or assists to enjoy Intelligence Steal.
- also provides movement speed boost. Additionally, it can build into Eul's Scepter of Divinity or Drum of Endurance.
- transports Silencer to fights in order to steal early intelligence.
- provides Silencer with attack speed and appropriate attributes, particularly strength to give him more health. The ability to switch attributes can help with spell casting and outputting damage.
- can be used on himself or a teammate as an escape mechanism or him to close the distance upon a fleeing enemy, or can be used to push an enemy out of position. Also, it improves his attack range and allowing him to finish off an opponent with four glaives at long range.
is a powerful item to build on a carry Silencer, synergizing with all of his spells. Orchid is the only item which gives a large amount of int, mana regeneration, attack speed, and attack damage in one spot, and they're all things Silencer needs if he wants to be an effective carry.
- Arcane Curse's duration pauses when silenced, so a third source of silences increases the effectiveness of this spell, and increases the likelihood of being able to apply a second curse, before the first wears off.
- Glaives of Wisdom get more damage and more attack speed, plus Orchid's active will amplify all the damage done during its duration. Additionally, in combination with , this item increases the length of time Nortrom can gain the bonus damage to silenced targets.
- Last word's biggest weakness is the 4 second delay before damage and silence is inflicted, allowing ganked targets to cast an escape spell. By using Soul Burn, then Last word, the delay duration becomes a benefit, as it provides True Sight over the target for the full duration, and continues into a total of 11 seconds of silence without using Silencer's ultimate.
- is a powerful mobility tool, no matter what role Silencer is played in. As a support he can easily position himself to cast his disables on the enemy, as well as use it to evade enemy ganks. As a carry, it gives him strong positioning, allowing him to move quickly into a fight to attack after disabling the enemy with his ultimate. Or to simply blink in to steal intelligence from dying enemy heroes.
- , upgraded from Orchid Malevolence, provides additional critical strike and True Strike to counter evasion and bring down even the tankiest heroes.
- provides a strong disable. It also gives intelligence and strength, as well as powerful mana regeneration to sustain his abilities.
- spell immunity so he can continue to output damage without worrying about enemy disables. greatly increases Silencer's survivability with strength and
- improves Glaives of Wisdom, allowing him to deal his full damage potential even against spell immune targets, as well as doubling the pure damage of his Glaives when he strikes silenced targets. The item itself also grants Silencer many beneficial attributes across the board, giving him more survivability overall.
- suits an offensive Silencer in the early game, increasing the power of pushes with attack speed and improving his ability to chase enemies with movement speed.
- , a support item, grants invisibility and magic resistance to Silencer and allies so they can escape.
- increases movement speed and mana regeneration so Silencer can make plays on the map. The active Cyclone can disable enemies, remove debuffs from yourself, and make yourself temporarily invulnerable.
- root to catch enemies out of position, or to hold them in place so Silencer can retreat. provides both intelligence and strength, as well as a
- increases Silencer's survivability against physical damage while also granting him more intelligence to fuel his abilities and attacks, making it a well-rounded item. The slow can also help chase down fleeing enemies more easily.
- synergizes well with silence so enemies cannot use abilities or items, while being slow every time an attack land on them.
- , an ultimate late game item, enables Silencer to inflict a 12 seconds silence at highest level that pierces spell immunity and invulnerability, shutting down enemy heroes who rely on using abilities in team fights. It also refreshes items so he can use Black King Bar or Bloodthorn a second time, improving survivability and damage output.
|Roles:||Carry Support Disabler Initiator Nuker|
|Playstyle:||Two hundred years of selective breeding had produced Nortrom, the prophesied war-mage that would bring glory to the order of Aeol Drias. Therefore, disgust and disappointment followed when it was found that the boy could cast not even a hex. Yet, on the day of final testing, Nortrom would have the Last Word. His arranged opponents fell under an Arcane Curse, draining their health with each incantation made. Then, there was Global Silence. Not a gasp or whisper escaped their lips as Nortrom finished off each challenger with his multipronged Glaives of Wisdom. At that moment, it became clear to all watching: The absence of magic can be the greatest magic of all.|
- Unlike most heroes, Silencer's attack projectiles actually use the model of his equipped cosmetic weapon.
, and , Silencer received a color palette change, changing his model and icons, having his former red armor replaced with violet.
- Before his palette change, newer players would occasionally mistake Silencer for , and he would sometimes be referred to as "The other Dragon Knight". Even after the palette swap, some older players may refer to him as "Purple Dragon Knight".
- Silencer's spell sound effects are based on some of his voice lines. Arcane Curse debuff sounds is based on "▶️ Curse you!", Last Word is based on one of his laughing lines and Global Silence is based on ▶️ this.
- is a member of the Knights of the Fold which would make him an enemy to Silencer based on Silencer's background. Despite this, there is no dialogue between the two heroes.