Nevermore, the Shadow Fiend, is a ranged agility hero possessing abilities that inflict superb burst damage from varying distances. Whether near or far, Shadow Fiend is able to release incredible offensive power, both physical and magical. Shadow Fiend's true power comes from the souls he takes, making him more dangerous every time he kills. With enough souls, he can release all of the captured souls in a devastating burst, dealing more damage to enemies that are closer to him. Shadow Fiend is a carry who is powerful at all stages of the game, a trait most carries don't share. He can harass and conquer the early game, gank unsuspecting heroes during the mid-stages of the game, and has huge right-click potential in the late game thanks to his passives, although his active abilities scale off by the end-game.
- The three Shadowraze spells are linked together and are always on the same level. Leveling one of them automatically levels the others as well.
- Shadowraze (Near) blasts a 250 radius area 200 range in front of Nevermore upon cast.
- This means that it can hit units up to 50 range behind Shadow Fiend, and up to 450 range in front of him.
- Places one debuff on the enemy. This debuff counts how many razes hit the target within its duration.
- Shadowraze first sets its damage based on current stacks, then applies the debuff/increases the stack count, and then deals the damage.
- This means the stack added by the raze does not affect the raze's damage.
- A number on the icon shows how many times the debuff was refreshed, including the first cast.
- The debuff has no stack limit and can be increased infinitely.
- Hitting all three razes consecutively can deal up to 420/660/900/1140 ( 780/1020/1260/1500) damage to a single unit (before reductions).
debuff placed on heroes is used to count successive Shadowraze hits. It lasts for 3 seconds.
- Although only the Demon Eater cosmetic item makes use of it, the counter is always placed.
- Shadowraze (Medium) blasts a 250 radius area 450 range in front of Nevermore upon cast.
- This means that it can hit units from 200 to 700 range in front of Shadow Fiend.
- Shadowraze (Far) blasts a 250 radius area 700 range in front of Nevermore upon cast.
- This means that it can hit units from 450 to 950 range in front of Shadow Fiend.
- Despite the visual effects, Shadow Fiend instantly gains the soul and thus the damage of killed units.
- The number of current souls is visible on the status buff icon.
- If Shadow Fiend has an odd number of souls upon death, the number of lost souls is rounded down.
- This means that he never can lose all his souls. He still keeps 1 soul, even when dying while only having 1 soul.
- The more souls Shadow Fiend has, the more red particles fly around his chest area.
- The maximum possible amount of souls with each level of Necromastery provides 24/40/56/72 ( 44/60/76/92) bonus damage.
- When dying while holding no souls are lost.
- The extra souls from
do affect the number of lines created by .
- It effectively increases the number of possible lines from 6/10/14/18 to 11/15/19/23.
- When dropping Aghanim's Scepter, Shadow Fiend keeps his souls even when having more than the default allowed amount.
- This means Requiem of Souls still releases more lines even when not holding the Scepter.
- However, the attack damage bonus adapts immediately and does not account the extra souls when not holding the Scepter.
- Shadow Fiend becomes phased while casting this ability.
- The damage is entirely based on the amount of souls gathered with
. Each 2 souls create 1 damaging line.
- If an odd number of souls is gathered, it is rounded down to the next even number.
- The damaging lines have the following mechanics:
- The area of every single damaging line is shaped like a cone.
- The distance between the damaging lines is always even. One line is always released towards east and the others adapt accordingly.
- The damaging lines travel at a speed of 700, taking 1.43 seconds to reach the max distance.
- Damaging lines can hit units up to 1350 range away (travel distance + end width).
- Each damaging line cannot hit the same unit more than once per cast ( upon expanding and returning respectively).
- Fears and reduces the movement speed of all enemy units hit by the damaging lines of Requiem of Souls.
- The duration increases by 0.8 per each line hit, but is capped at 2.4 seconds.
- Unlike other sources of fear, Requiem of Souls makes affected enemies run away from the caster, rather than make them run towards their team's fountain.
- The expanding lines can deal up to 1440/2160/2880 ( 1840/2760/3680) damage to a single unit (before reductions), if all lines hit.
- The lines first apply the damage, then the debuff.
- Upon death, Requiem of Souls is cast automatically and instantly, regardless of mana and cooldown.
- Shadow Fiend first loses 50% of his souls before this happens. So this passive requiem can only have 9 ( 11) lines at max.
- If Shadow Fiend had 1 soul left upon death, it still releases 1 line, despite requiring at least 2 souls when normally cast.
- This on-death Requiem of Souls does not apply fear, but does apply the movement speed slow.
- When dying while holding no passive Requiem of Souls is released.
- When having
, after reaching their max distance, each line starts moving back to Shadow Fiend.
- Despite the visual effects, the lines do not "respawn" around Shadow Fiend. They start moving back exactly where they stopped.
- The lines return to Shadow Fiend's current location, not to the location he originally cast the spell from.
- The lines do not adapt to new locations if Shadow Fiend moves. Once they started to return, their path cannot be further altered.
- The max travel distance applies to the lines also upon returning, meaning they travel a total distance of 2000.
- The width of the lines is reversed upon returning: They start with maximum width and get thinner towards the end.
- The returning lines deal 40% damage. They hit all units regularly like the expanding lines and also apply the debuff.
- The returning lines apply the fear and the slow as well.
- Aghanim's Scepter only affects manually cast Requiems. The on-death Requiem is not affected.
- The returning lines can deal up to 736/1104/1472 damage to a single unit (before reductions), if all lines hit.
- Together with the expanding lines, Requiem of Souls can deal up to 2576/3864/5152 damage to a single unit (before reductions).
- The heal is only based on the damage dealt by the returning lines, not by the initial expanding lines.
- The heal is applied as soon as the lines stop moving.
- Only heals from damage dealt to heroes, including illusions.
- Always heals for 32/48/64 health per hit, regardless of how much damage the lines actually dealt.
|30% Cooldown Reduction||25||-4Armor|
|+120Damage||20||+2 Damage Per|
|+25 Movement Speed||15||Affects Building|
|+15 Attack Speed||10||+6% Spell Amplification|
- Level 10 left talent: +20 attack speed reduced to +15.
- Level 10 right talent: +8% spell damage amplification reduced to +6%.
- Level 15 left talent: +30 movement speed reduced to +25.
- Level 20 left talent: +150 base damage reduced to +120.
- Level 25 left talent: 40% cooldown reduction reduced to 30%.
- Level 25 right talent: +5 armor reduction reduced to +4.
- Increased strength gain from 2.5 to 2.7.
- Increased debuff duration per line from 0.6 to 0.8.
- Increased debuff max duration from 2.2 to 2.4.
- provide the necessary health regeneration to help you staying in lane.
- can save Shadow Fiend when activated at the last moment.
- compensate for your low starting damage by allowing you to last hit easier in the laning phase. The more last hits you get, the stronger you become, so this is important.
- lets Shadow Fiend use Shadowraze more often in lane, helping him build up his Necromastery.
- will help supplement mana for casting Shadowraze.
- is crucial for surviving in lane, and capturing runes.
- will provide you with the mana regen to sustain Shadowrazes throughout the jungle, as well as provide a little bit of tankiness with the magic damage absorption.
- will save inventory space and provide a small attribute bonus.
- increase your damage output with attack speed and agility, as well as survivability and sustainability when switched to strength or intelligence.
- provides Shadow Fiend with an escape mechanism, and helps him position for Requiem of Souls. The invisibility fade time means you won't be visible until you're close to actually casting Requiem of Souls. Using this item and getting directly on top of an enemy and unleashing your ultimate will usually lead to a one-hit kill.
- gives additional attack range and attributes.
- provides good health and damage, but more importantly, can be used to ensure Requiem of Souls is not interrupted.
- is a natural upgrade from that can push enemies away while providing infinite range for up to 4 attacks.
- increases your DPS and makes you much more survivable against enemy carries who are reliant on their physical attacks.
- gives Shadow Fiend some much needed mobility, and can be used to jump into fights with Requiem of Souls.
- can be used to cyclone an enemy, giving Shadow Fiend the time to charge Requiem of Souls and hit the enemy upon landing. It is also a great counter to heroes that rely on to get away since enemy heroes will take 50 damage upon landing.
- grants a massive attribute bonus. In addition, its attack modifier's slow pierces spell immunity, ensuring enemies cannot kite you too easily.
- increases your team's DPS and survivability while reducing the other team's DPS and survivability. The armor reduction aura also stacks with Presence of the Dark Lord.
- increases damage output and scales well into the late game.
- allows Shadow Fiend to quickly regain health by lifestealing during late game teamfights.
- , in combination with a maximized Presence of the Dark Lord, reduces an attacked enemy's armor by 14, increasing the physical damage it takes even further.
- break to disable passive abilities. is a natural upgrade from , and provides
- improves Shadow Fiend's physical attacks, providing a boost to agility as well as allowing his attacks to burn mana. The active grants Shadow Fiend a light disable, something his own skills are lacking.
- increases attack damage, and counters enemies with evasion with magical damage procs.
- is commonly picked up during the late game to push lanes and move around the map more efficiently.
- greatly increases the damage from Requiem of Souls, and raises Necromastery's maximum soul count.
- is good for disjointing and confusing enemies, giving Shadow Fiend a little extra time to deal damage. It is also excellent for attacking towers and buildings.
- is a good combination with Blink Dagger, granting a good disable, allowing Shadow Fiend to find kills more easily without Requiem of Souls, by easily getting off triple Shadowraze hits.
- is a good situational item, if you are going magical build, providing a big nuke due to Shadow Fiend's high agility, and giving a 40% increased magical damage, and a slow, which eases hits on Shadowrazes.
|Playstyle:||Some heroes collect trophies, others collect hats. The one known as Nevermore prefers souls. Maintaining perfect Necromastery over his collection, the Shadow Fiend grows in power with every soul claimed. Armor fails in the Presence of the Dark Lord, leaving foes no choice but to scramble before he Shadowrazes them to oblivion. It is a poor idea to surround Nevermore. The Shadow Fiend pauses to charge his demonic energies, then, with a flourish of his lightless wings, releases his collection in all directions to obliterate enemies in a howling Requiem of Souls.|
- Shadow Fiend's alternate/fun name in DotA was "YaphetS", a tribute to a professional DotA player who skillfully used Nevermore.
- The name "Nevermore" likely refers to the poem The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. This is also referenced in his bio.
- The voice response ▶️ "Never say Nevermore..." is in reference to the James Bond movie "Never say never again".
- Apart for popular demand by fans, Shadow Fiend's model rework may have also been done to adhere to certain countries' censorship laws, namely the Chinese client.