From Dota 2 Wiki
|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Bad against...Earth Spirit
- Boulder Smash and Geomagnetic Grip allow Earth Spirit to easily stun and silence Sand King out of his Sand Storm and interrupt the channeling of Epicenter, completely ruining his initiation.
- X Marks the Spot together with Torrent counters Sand King's evasiveness.
- Sand Storm ca be a good setup for Torrent and Ghostship.
- Sand King has nothing to deal with Supernova, as none of his spells are effective.
- The damage-over-time abilities of Phoenix disable Sand King's Blink Dagger very often.
- Burrowstrike is one of the best and easiest steals for Rubick and Sand King should be careful when playing against him - it's much better to give away Sand Storm.
- Null Field is more effective against Sand King as all of his damage is magical.
- Both Arcane Curse and Last Word punishes casters with spammable spells such as Sand King.
- As a strength caster, Intelligence Steal reduces Sand King's mana pool even more.
- Global Silence silences Sand King, effectively reducing Sand King's initiation and counter-initiation potential. It can also interrupt channeling of Epicenter.
- Zeus usually stays at the back in teamfight and it is hard for Sand King to find Zeus and knock him down before Zeus deals his damage.
- All Zeus abilities, especially Thundergod's Wrath, disables Sand King's Blink Dagger, effectively reducing Sand King's initiation and counter-initiation potential.
- Lightning Bolt deals damage to Sand King in Sand Storm and reveals him, also interrupts channeling of Epicenter.
- Heroes with point target AoE nukes and disables can reveal Sand King while he is trying to escape with Sand Storm and Blink Dagger combo ( Earthshaker, Lina, Puck etc).
- Black King Bar ignores all Sand King's abilities.
- Dust of Appearance, Gem of True Sight and Sentry Wards reveal him through Sand Storm.
- Orchid Malevolence silences, preventing Sand King from casting spells. It might as well cancel Epicenter channeling and waste its mana and putting it on cooldown without applying its effects.
- Linken's Sphere can block Burrowstrike, Sand King's only inherent disable.
- Lotus Orb will reflect Sand King's Burrowstrike.
- Caustic Finale allows Sand King to easily kill Broodmother's Spiderlings throughout the game.
- Sand King can usually catch a split pushing Broodmother with Blink Dagger and Burrowstrike.
- Burrowstrike can stun multiple Meepos, making them vulnerable targets.
- Epicenter and Sand Storm's AoE damage ensures all Meepo clones get damaged, making it hard for Meepo to choose which one to flee as all are taking damage at the same rate.
- Just be aware when using Sand Storm to escape, as Meepo has good AoE damage and disables, which, as explained in the "Bad Against" section, works well against an invisible Sand King.
- With Caustic Finale, Sand King can easily kill the treants, Nature's Prophet gains from his Nature's Call.
- Burrowstrike allows Sand King to prevent Nature's Prophet from using Teleportation inside of his Sprout.
- Phantom Assassin relies on her Blur to stay alive, but is very vulnerable to Sand King's heavy magic damage.
- With Burrowstrike, Sand King can often catch Phantom Assassin, before she can use her Black King Bar.
- Sand King can dodge Stifling Dagger with Sandstorm.
- Phantom Assassin has a hard time killing Sand King because of his high mobility.
- He has a hard time killing Sand King because of the survivability he gets from Burrowstrike and Sand Storm.
- Shadow Dance, which usually allows Slark to survive fights, is ineffective against Sand King's AoE damage.
- Sand King can quickly remove her Refraction with his Sand Storm.
- Once Refraction is down, she is very vulnerable to Epicenter's high magic damage.
- Because of his massive AoE damage, Sand King is very effective against illusion heroes: Chaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Terrorblade,...
- Sand King is a strong ganker, allowing him to shut down squishy heroes in the early game: Phantom Assassin, Clinkz, Sniper, Enchantress,...
- Heroes with no mobility will take some good damage from Sand King's spells: Dragon Knight, Jakiro, Pugna, Earthshaker,...
- Heroes that rely on slows to get kills: Lifestealer, Night Stalker, Ursa,...
Works well with...Crystal Maiden
- The mana regen from Arcane Aura allows Sand King to spam abilities with less concern for mana pool.
- Both have good disables that are rather useful when ganking.
- The mana regen from Chakra Magic allows Sand King to spam abilities with less concern for mana pool.
- As Keeper of the Light channels a Illuminate, Sand King will as well channel his Epicenter and blink into the enemy lines, both unleashing huge AoE magic damage.
- Recall will save or help Sand King when he is pushing a lane.
- Cast Burrowstrike towards a safe location or use Sand Storm to prevent taking damage, otherwise Recall will not work.
- Repel can be used on Sand King while he is channeling his ultimate or even if he already finished it, preventing any sort of disable.
- Ravage and Epicenter will do a great combo.
- Tossing Sand King in the enemy lines can set one hell of a gank and initiation.
- Burrowstrike and Epicenter can keep enemies in the middle of Wukong's Command.
- Both of these Heroes also possess high range disables, capable of easily interrupting enemy teleports or other channeling spells, and make fleeing difficult.
- Chaotic Offering and Upheaval are a great way to keep enemies close during Epicenter
- Fatal Bonds Combos well with all of Sand Kings abilities. A Fatal Bonds/Epicenter combo on 5 heroes will deal 100% more damage
- AoE disables fares well with Sand King by locking down his targets as he unleashes high AoE damage: Sven, Enigma, Elder Titan, Earthshaker and others.
- Naga Siren's Song of the Siren is better used when it has some sort of follow up or initiation, and Sand King can easily fill this role.