From Dota 2 Wiki
- As a strength support hero with a self-restore ultimate, Sand King can seldom kill Phoenix with a single combo of his abilities.
- Sand King would find it hard to deal damage to Supernova, as none of his spells are effective.
- The damage-over-time abilities of Phoenix disable Sand King's Blink Dagger very often.
- Ghostship helps Kunkka and his teammates soak up damage from Epicenter and Burrowstrike.
- X Marks the Spot together with Torrent counters heroes with great mobility such as Sand King.
- Torrent drags Sand King out of his Sand Storm.
- Boulder Smash and Geomagnetic Grip allow Earth Spirit to easily stun and silence Sand King out of his Sand Storm and the channeling of Epicenter, as both can completely ruin Epicenter before it even begins.
- Geomagnetic Grip silences Sand King, and with Boulder Smash stunning him out of Sand Storm, Sand King will have no escape.
- With incredible range, Earth Spirit's spells will make it hard for Sand King to successfully cast his own spells.
- Both Arcane Curse and Last Word punishes casters with spammable spells such as Sand King.
- As a strength caster, Intelligence Steal reduces Sand King's mana pool even more.
- Global Silence silences Sand King, effectively reduces Sand King's counter-initiation potential. It can also interrupt channeling of Epicenter.
- Underlord has high strength growth. Sand King's combo usually can't deal fatal damage to him.
- Pit of Malice deals damage to Sand King and pulls him out of his Sand Storm. If timed well, Pit of Malice can interrupt Epicenter channeling.
- Zeus has a relative high strength growth and usually stays at the back in teamfight. It is hard for Sand King to find Zeus and knock him down before Zeus deals his damage.
- Arc Lightning and Thundergod's Wrath disables Sand King's Blink Dagger, effectively reduces Sand King's counter-initiation potential.
- Lightning Bolt deals damage to Sand King in Sand Storm and reveals him, also interrupts channeling of Epicenter.
- Point target AoE disables will reveal a damaged Sand King while he is trying to escape with his Sand Storm and Blink Dagger combo. Such Heroes: Earth Spirit, Earthshaker, Axe and a few others.
- So can Nyx Assassin, altought he gets a special mention as he might as well use Spiked Carapace and interrupt The King's movement has he used Epicenter and Blink Dagger combo, diminishing Sand King's threat.
- Dust of Appearance, Gem of True Sight, Sentry Ward and any other item with true sight, because they reveal invisible units.
- Orchid Malevolence silences, preventing Sand King from casting spells. It might as well cancel Epicenter channeling and waste its mana and putting it on cooldown without applying its effects.
- As Epicenter is an uncontrollable ability, popping Blade Mail and reflecting its damage will hurt Sand King.
- Black King Bar ignores stun and all magical damage from Sand King.
- Linken's Sphere can block Burrowstrike, Sand King's only inherent disable, but its rather situational, as one might break it before The King's burrowstrike, or if this is the most irrelevant ability in the team, Sand King might as well cast it to break, opening window for abilities such as Doom.
- Lotus Orb will reflect Sand King's Burrowstrike.
- Caustic Finale allows Sand King to easily kill Broodmother's Spiderlings throughout the game.
- Sand King can usually catch a split pushing Broodmother with Blink Dagger and Burrowstrike.
- Burrowstrike can stun multiple Meepos, making them vulnerable targets.
- Epicenter and Sand Storm's AoE damage ensures all Meepo clones get damaged, making it hard for Meepo to choose which one to flee as all are taking damage at the same rate.
- Just be aware when using Sand Storm to escape, as Meepo has good AoE damage and disables, which, as explained in the "Bad Against" section, works well against an invisible Sand King. His higher base magic resistance may be problematic too for Sand King's magical damage.
- With Caustic Finale, Sand King can easily kill the treants, Nature's Prophet gains from his Nature's Call.
- Burrowstrike allows Sand King to prevent Nature's Prophet from using Teleportation inside of his Sprout.
- Phantom Assassin relies on her Blur to stay alive, but is very vulnerable to Sand King's heavy magic damage.
- With Burrowstrike, Sand King can often catch Phantom Assassin, before she can use her Black King Bar.
- Sand King can dodge Stifling Dagger with Sandstorm.
- Phantom Assassin has a hard time killing Sand King because of his high mobility.
- Sand King can easily clear Chen's creeps with Sand Storm, Burrowstrike and Epicenter.
- Because Test of Faith (Teleport) has a delay before it teleports hero, Sand King can easily stop this with Burrowstrike.
- Chen has nothing to detect Sand King when he is channeling Sand Storm.
- He has a hard time killing Sand King because of the survivability he gets from Burrowstrike and Sand Storm.
- Shadow Dance, which usually allows Stark to survive fights, is ineffective against Sand King's AoE damage.
- Sand King can quickly remove her Refraction with his Sand Storm.
- Once Refraction is down, she is very vulnerable to Epicenter's high magic damage.
- Because of his massive AoE damage, Sand King is very effective against illusion heroes. ( Chaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Terrorblade, …)
- Sand King is a strong ganker, allowing him to shut down squishy heroes in the early game. ( Phantom Assassin, Clinkz, Sniper, Enchantress, …)
- Heroes with no mobility will take some good damage from Sand King's spells. ( Dragon Knight, Jakiro, Pugna, Earthshaker, …)
- Heroes that rely on slows to get kills. ( Lifestealer, Night Stalker, Ursa, …)
Works well with...Crystal Maiden
- The mana regen from Arcane Aura allows Sand King to spam abilities with less concern for mana pool.
- Both have good disables that are rather useful when ganking.
- The mana regen from Chakra Magic allows Sand King to spam abilities with less concern for mana pool.
- As Keeper of the Light channels a Illuminate, Sand King will as well channel his Epicenter and blink into the enemy lines, both unleashing huge AoE magic damage.
- Recall will save or help Sand King when he is pushing a lane.
- Repel can be used on Sand King while he is channeling his ultimate or even if he already finished it, preventing any sort of disable.
- Burrowstrike and Epicenter can keep enemies in the middle of Wukong's Command.
- Both of these Heroes also possess high range disables, capable of easily interrupting enemy teleports or other channeling spells, and make fleeing difficult.
- Chaotic Offering and Upheaval are a great way to keep enemies close during Epicenter
- Fatal Bonds Combos well with all of Sand Kings abilities. A Fatal Bonds/ Epicenter combo on 5 heroes will deal 100% more damage
- AoE disables fares well with Sand King by locking down his targets as he unleashes high AoE damage: Sven, Enigma, Elder Titan, Earthshaker and others.
- Naga Siren's Song of the Siren is better used when it has some sort of follow up or initiation, and Sand King can easily fill this role.