Rubick, the Grand Magus
Any mage can cast a spell or two, and a few may even study long enough to become a wizard, but only the most talented are allowed to be recognized as a Magus. Yet as with any sorcerer’s circle, a sense of community has never guaranteed competitive courtesy.
Already a renowned duelist and scholar of the grander world of sorcery, it had never occurred to Rubick that he might perhaps be Magus material until he was in the midst of his seventh assassination attempt. As he casually tossed the twelfth of a string of would-be killers from a high balcony, it dawned on him how utterly unimaginative the attempts on his life had become. Where once the interruption of a fingersnap or firehand might have put a cheerful spring in his step, it had all become so very predictable. He craved greater competition. Therefore, donning his combat mask, he did what any wizard seeking to ascend the ranks would do: he announced his intention to kill a Magus.
Rubick quickly discovered that to threaten one Magus is to threaten them all, and they fell upon him in force. Each antagonist's spell was an unstoppable torrent of energy, and every attack a calculated killing blow. But very soon something occurred that Rubick's foes found unexpected: their arts appeared to turn against them. Inside the magic maelstrom, Rubick chuckled, subtly reading and replicating the powers of one in order to cast it against another, sowing chaos among those who had allied against him. Accusations of betrayal began to fly, and soon the sorcerers turned one upon another without suspecting who was behind their undoing.
When the battle finally drew to a close, all were singed and frozen, soaked and cut and pierced. More than one lay dead by an ally’s craft. Rubick stood apart, sore but delighted in the week’s festivities. None had the strength to argue when he presented his petition of assumption to the Hidden Council, and the Insubstantial Eleven agreed as one to grant him the title of Grand Magus.
- Rubick lives in his father's shadow.
- Mireska desires the secret of Aghanim, which she believes is sealed inside Rubick's staff.
- According to Meepo, Rubick owns many magical gems, which Meepo covets. He also offers to sell Rubick more gems.
- Rubick sometimes works at an itinerant scholar.
Rubick is the son of Aghanim, the owner of the legendary Aghanim's Scepter. He struggles to live up to his father's fame, but has so far been unable to do so.
Pudge is Rubick's primary rival, the two having competed against one another in a contest long ago. Nevertheless, Pudge considers Rubick an "alright" guy, even though he finds him a bit strange.
Friendships and rivalries
Allies meeting Rubick
- Play Play r Rubick, have you come to study or to fight?
- Play r Hey Rubick! If you ever wanna sell some of those gems…
- Play r Hey Rubick! I can get you a few more of those magic jewels. Just ask.
- Play Play r How about a friendly duel, Rubick? I've heard some things.
- Play Play r Us tricksters need to stick together, eh, Rubick?
- Play r Ah, Rubick, always a pleasure.
- Play r My heart is heavy, Rubick. It is a relief to see yours so light.
Enemies killing Rubick
- Play Play Curiosity got the better of you, Rubick!
- Play Play Never trust a wizard.
- Play Just let me pry a few of those gems off of you.
- Play Play r I don't steal spells, Rubick, I take lives.
- Play Play r Grand Magus? Phuh! Guess that was just another fairy tale.
- Play You must take your magic more seriously.
- Play You almost had our secrets, so we could not let you live.
- Play r Be careful what you cast, for stolen spells may readily undo their wielder.
- Play Play Swords and sorcery!
- ↑ Dark Willow response: Play How's living in your father's shadow treating ya?
- ↑ Dark Willow response: Play Give me that staff, Rubick!
- ↑ Meepo response: * Play Hey Rubick! If you ever wanna sell some of those gems…
- ↑ Itinerant Scholar
- ↑ Rubick response:Play "Father's masterpiece."
- ↑ Pangolier response: Play Step out of your father's shadow, Rubick. The world awaits.
- ↑ Feast of Abscession response: Play Heh heh heh. You's alright, Rubick. Even if you are a bit weird.