Recipes are a type of item that does nothing on its own, but when combined with the right ingredients allows heroes to create more powerful items.
Recipes cannot be directly found in the shop, but can be purchased by selecting certain items that require that specific recipe to complete. By viewing a specific item in the shop, its hierarchy is displayed, both above and below it. Below the item is the ingredient hierarchy required to assemble it, while above it is the ingredient hierarchy that shows what it can be used to assemble.
Recipes are always purchasable, though they are just harmless and pointless pieces of paper occupying inventory slots. Generally it is better to first purchase items that have some properties.
There are auto combine items which do not require a recipe scroll as the items combine automatically to create it. Examples of these items are, , and .
Some items have multiple recipes. For example, gold and its recipe costs 1300. Purchasing another recipe upgrades this item to level 2, purchasing another one upgrades it to level 3 and so on, for a maximum of 5 levels. The recipe costs 1300 gold for each level.level 1 costs
works with charges (6 charges), and purchasing its recipe again (600 gold) refills them, no matter how many of them were used.
|Item (total cost)||Recipe cost|
|Abyssal Blade (6625)||1750|
|Aeon Disk (3100)||1100|
|Aether Lens (2275)||550|
|Aghanim's Blessing (5800)||1600|
|Armlet of Mordiggian (2475)||650|
|Assault Cuirass (5075)||1300|
|Black King Bar (4050)||1450|
|Blade Mail (2050)||500|
|Crimson Guard (3800)||950|
|Diffusal Blade (3150)||700|
|Drum of Endurance (1475)||600|
|Eul's Scepter of Divinity (2725)||650|
|Force Staff (2175)||1000|
|Guardian Greaves (4970)||1600|
|Hand of Midas (2300)||1850|
|Heart of Tarrasque (5400)||650|
|Helm of the Dominator (2350)||975|
|Holy Locket (2500)||500|
|Hood of Defiance (1750)||300|
|Hurricane Pike (4525)||450|
|Linken's Sphere (4600)||900|
|Magic Wand (450)||150|
|Manta Style (4600)||500|
|Meteor Hammer (2350)||250|
|Monkey King Bar (4650)||350|
|Null Talisman (510)||210|
|Octarine Core (5000)||900|
|Orchid Malevolence (3475)||475|
|Pipe of Insight (3425)||1250|
|Refresher Orb (5000)||1700|
|Ring of Basilius (425)||250|
|Rod of Atos (2750)||850|
|Shiva's Guard (4850)||750|
|Silver Edge (6100)||600|
|Skull Basher (2950)||900|
|Solar Crest (3725)||400|
|Soul Ring (815)||350|
|Spirit Vessel (2940)||1000|
|Urn of Shadows (840)||335|
|Veil of Discord (1525)||650|
|Vladmir's Offering (2375)||600|
|Wraith Band (510)||210|
Items with multiple recipes
|Item||Number of levels|
- The symbol in the middle of the default recipe icon is that of the Combine, the antagonists from the Half-Life series. Given that the purpose of the recipe items is to "combine" others into a new item, it seems quite appropriate that this symbol be used.
- Prior the gameplay patch 5.65, upgradable items did not use any recipe scrolls. Instead, smaller upgradable items were combined by basic item components, while some medium and most bigger upgradable items used an item called Upgrader. The Upgrader itself had absolutely no effect at all and had a cost of 1500 gold. It acted as a common "recipe scroll" for many items.
- Diffusal Blade is no longer upgradeable. No longer has charge limits. Cooldown increased to 15 seconds.
- Added new items which require recipes:
- Abyssal Blade now requires a recipe to build.
- Veil of Discord now requires a recipe to build again.
- Desolator no longer requires a recipe.
- Lotus Orb no longer requires a recipe.
- Medallion of Courage no longer requires a recipe.
- Silver Edge no longer requires a recipe.
- Recipe items no longer sell for 80% of their price (now 50% like regular items).
- Recipes sell for 80% of the cost, helps with misclicks.
- Item recipes now show an image of the item they are for.