- Due to Pugna's incredible intelligence growth and terrible strength growth, Nyx should always be able to take you out with his combo, with or without an added . will deal a large amount of damage in particular, especially in the late game.
- is also a great tool versus Pugna. A good player will wait for you in until you farm a creep wave with Nether Blast and reflect it back at you as their initiation and setup for .
- Clockwerk loves to low health, immobile targets like Pugna.
- Pugna's Life Drain gets immediately and repeatedly (if an was purchased) cancelled due to , especially if Pugna is trapped inside .
- Clockwerk also loves to build , which will deal more damage to Pugna than Clockwork due to Pugna's low health pool.
- Finally, both and can allow him to finish off Pugna out of range of his Nether Ward.
- Sniper's huge range makes him an unviable target to use Life Drain on, forcing Pugna to risk playing out of position to use it on Sniper.
- Sniper's can be used to provide vision on Nether Ward, and his range allows him to easily take it out.
- A clumsy Pugna may accidentally boost Sniper's and damages if he recklessly uses Decrepify on himself or his allies.
- Though Life Drain instantly destroys illusions, Phantom Lancer creates way too many for Pugna to handle.
- A good Phantom Lancer will also dodge your Nether Blast with .
- Phantom Lancer is the most natural carrier to burn Pugna's very large pool of mana away and deal a large amount of damage in the process.
- Since Pugna relies on his teammates for protection, it is fairly common for Anti-Mage to get multiple kills with a single use of his on Pugna if he's missing a considerable portion of his mana.
- Pugna's massive mana pool will result in Anti-Mage's almost always dealing the bonus damage from the mana burn.
- negates a large amount of Pugna's damage, as most of Pugna's damage comes from his spells.
- can be used to get out of a bad situation, and Pugna has no way to prevent him from casting it.
- Luna can shrug off most damage taken from Nether Ward as she only has two castable skills with average mana cost.
- Luna can deal constant damage to Pugna through the low-cooldown Lucent Beam and her right clicks.
- 's considerable range can reliably cancel Pugna's Life Drain.
- Luna is a common carrier, which totally nullifies Pugna's damage output.
- If Pugna uses Decrepify on himself to avoid Luna's right click, she can burst him down with Lucent Beam and Eclipse.
- Most of Pugna's damage is magical, which can get blocked by 's 100% magic resistance.
- Oracle has two abilities that apply a dispel, which can easily remove Decrepify on his ally or Oracle.
- Oracle has a very long Attack Range and a very low Base Attack Time, which enables him to take down Nether Ward swiftly from long distance.
- Pugna is a very fragile hero who can easily get caught and killed by Storm Spirit's long range initiation.
- This is especially true if he has or .
- Pugna has no disables that can prevent Storm Spirit from escaping.
- Even though invulnerable while using it.
requires high amount of mana, Nether Ward is ineffective since Storm Spirit is
- Storm Spirit's other abilities cost very insignificant amount of mana for Nether Ward to be effective.
- Any hero that can blink on top of him makes a good threat to Pugna.
- Special mention goes to as she could kill herself with if your Nether Ward is up.
- Similarly, any hero that will sneak up on you could kill you before you have time to react.
- allows for someone to quickly escape a Life Drain for a very small mana cost. With quick fingers, you can also dodge Nether Blast.
- and both reduces Pugna's damage output considerably.
- Pugna's only tool against is a defensive Decrepify.
- is great versus Pugna as he hates being jumped on because of his extremely fragile nature.
- can block Life Drain and Decrepify.
- reflects Life Drain and Decrepify.
- Amazingly, Enchantress has even lower health than Pugna. Though she does pack quite a punch through , she can't use it if she is under Decrepify.
- Pugna's Magical DPS is way greater than the heal from , which will also harm her quite a bit if she's next to Nether Ward.
- Decrepify is the perfect tool against until he gets a , and even then he will probably waste a couple of slashes before he uses it.
- Without an extra disable, Pugna's high movement speed makes it impossible to chase him with .
- Unlike some other carries like or , Juggernaut's spells cost a hefty amount of mana and he will seriously get hurt by Nether Ward. Don't forget the damage from the ward is inflicted before the spell immunity is provided by .
- For the better part of the game, he will take more damage from your ward than he deals to you with .
- It will take a huge difference in farm or itemization between you for him to deal any damage to you with , provided he doesn't die first from casting it next to your ward.
- Nether Ward can punish Timbersaw, as Timbersaw is a spell-caster with low cooldowns. Furthermore, Timbersaw usually appears in the midst of battle, placing himself in range of Nether Ward's Mana Flares.
- Timbersaw has no stuns or silences to stop Life Drain. Since all of Pugna's Spells are magical, the damage can be devastating to Timbersaw.
- Decrepify can further increase all the magical damage done to Timbersaw, bypassing the enhanced physical resistance he can get from .
- Leshrac needs to be close to target in order to do damage, Pugna can outrun Leshrac with ease due to his superior movement speed.
- can also be hard to land on Pugna for the same reason.
- Leshrac uses huge amounts of mana to do damage, Nether Ward forces him to either not contribute in a fight or kill himself in the process.
- Decrepify prevents Legion Commander from attacking allies during , regardless if it's used on her or on the ally .
- Pugna can easily cast Decrepify, Nether Blast and Life Drain on Legion during the 4/4.75/5.5/8 seconds of duel
- Decrepify prevents Shadow Fiend from attacking for its duration, potentially preventing him from getting a kill.
- Nether Ward can do heavy damage to Shadow Fiend if he tries to cast his and his .
- Decrepify prevents Faceless Void from attacking trapped allies inside , wasting a large portion of its duration if Faceless Void can't dispel it.
- Because Invoker relies on casting a large amount of spells to contribute to fights, Nether Ward can force him to not cast anything at all or take a large amount of damage to cast spells.
- Due to the high mana cost of his spells and the low cool down of them, Nether Ward can seriously damage Skywrath Mage if he isn't careful.
- Skywrath Mage's fragility makes him very susceptible to Pugna's high burst damage.
- Troll Warlord can't switch targets at will, in order to build stacks, which makes it easy to use Decrepify in order to save allies
- During , Pugna can easily use Nether Blast, Decrepify and Life Drain on him
- Up to a certain extent, Decrepify can make life miserable for a ton of right-clicking carries. With an you will have 78% up-time on it (minus cast times), and if you take the lvl 20 talent +2s Decrepify Duration, it increases to 100% up-time(minus cast times).
- Special mention goes to who simply loves to on top of you. If you're not already dead, just decrepify her and suck the life out of her.
- Nether Ward will be problematic for heavy nukers and spammers like , , and , but don't use Decrepify defensively against them as you'll be helping them out more than anything.
- Since Life drain takes out illusions instantly, Pugna with a scepter is decent versus plenty of illusion heroes, most notably and and the aforementioned . is an exception.
Works well with...
- cannot be removed if Pugna casts on the target, making a very dangerous and potentially fatal combo.
- and also have extremely deadly synergy with Pugna due to the slows and double casting.
- Io and Pugna can gank easily for Decrepify provides a boost to his other spells, as well as Io's .
- If Io is healing an ally with , you can cast Life Drain on Io to give it health, so Tether will heal its target for an absurd amount of health, useful to save an important ally.
- holds an enemy hero long enough for Pugna to cast his spells. If she is losing a Duel, he can Decrepify the target or heal her with Life Drain.
- A good opponent will always try to focus a Necrophos. Here's another ally who will take the enemy's initiation for you in order to help you get your spells off. Don't forget to help him out in return through a friendly Life drain, and hugely amping up the damage from , or at least protecting him from right clicks.
- Here's an ally who will soak up the damage for you. Don't forget you can also restore her mana with Life Drain once she's back to full hp.
- If your mana allows it, don't forget to spam Nether Blast while she tanks the tower for your team.
- Decrepify can be used to protect and amplify the damage of all of Phoenix's abilities
- Life Drain combined with can quickly heal the HP of an ally, and once its HP is fully restored, Pugna's life drain can heal its mana
- Both Skywrath Mage and Pugna do very high magic damage and they both have ability to amplify each others damage by and Decrepify.
- and hold enemy heroes in place just enough for Nether Blast and Life Drain to finish them off.
- Decrepify lowers enemies' magic resistance, increasing the potency of .
- Heroes that can make good use of Decrepify for they possess huge amount of magical burst: , , , ,
- Heroes with abilities that can keep targets in range of Nether Blast and Life Drain: , , , ,
- Frontline heroes that aren't impaired much with a defensive decrepify applied on them: , , ,
- grants Pugna invisibility so the enemy cannot easily interrupt Life Drain.
- 's magical damage increases thanks to Decrepify's magic resistance reduction.