Pugna is a ranged intelligence hero whose spells give him powerful nuking and pushing capability. Nether Blast is a delayed low-cooldown area nuke which also deals damage to buildings, allowing Pugna to use it as a basic nuke as well as a pushing spell. Decrepify is a unit-targeted spell that gives its target the ethereal status effect, rendering them unable to take physical damage but also slowing them and decreasing their magic resistance. Nether Ward is a ward-type ability that debilitates enemy casting, degenerating their mana while punishing them with powerful nukes based on the mana cost of the spells they cast within its domain. Pugna's ultimate ability, Life Drain, is a channeling ability which saps enemy health and grants it to himself, and can be cast on allies to give them health and mana as well. With a strong array of versatile nukes, Pugna can be a force to be reckoned with in teamfights, able to blast his foes into Oblivion with ease.
|Play "Who needs a blade when you have oblivion?"|
|Role:||Nuker / Pusher|
|Lore:||In the realm of Pugna's birth, near the vents of the Nether Reaches, there stood a lamasery devoted to the Arts of Oblivion, which drew its power from the nether energies. The Grandmaster of the temple compound had himself passed into Oblivion several years prior, leaving his academy without a leader. From the moment of their master's death, the regents of the temple began rites of divination to identify their master's reincarnation, and eventually all signs converged on the immediate neighborhood. Several villages squatted in the shadow of the temple, their alleys and plazas full of the laughter of squalling children. Pugna, a mere thirteen months of age, was but one candidate among the local brats, and on the appointed day he was presented at the temple alongside two other promising tots. The lamas offered a jumble of worn relics to the children, treasured possessions of their former grandmaster. One boy reached for a porphyry wand that had belonged to the lama...and put it in his nostril. An impish girl pulled out an amulet that had also been the lama's, and immediately swallowed it. Pugna regarded the other two coolly, gave a merry laugh, and blasted them with gouts of emerald flame, reducing them to ashes in an instant. He then snatched up the wand and amulet, saying 'Mine!' The regents hoisted the beaming Pugna on their shoulders, wrapped him in their grandmaster's vestments, and rushed him to the throne before his mood could change. Within five years, the temple itself was another pile of ash, which pleased Pugna to no end.|
|Voice:||Gary Schwartz (Responses)|
- Deals 50/87.5/125/162.5 ( 150/187.5/225/262.5) damage to buildings.
- The visual effects and the sound during the 0.9 second effect delay are only visible and audible to allies.
- Reduces most heroes' total magic resistance to 6.25% if allied, or to 2.5%/-5%/-12.5%/-20% if enemy, assuming basic 25% magic resistance and no other sources of magic resistance.
- Reduces Meepo's and Visage's total magic resistance to 18.75% and -12.5% respectively if allied, or to 15.5%/9%/2.5%/-4% and -17%/-26%/-35%/-44% respectively if enemy, assuming their basic magic resistance and no other sources of magic resistance.
- Decrepify's magic resistance reduction does not stack with other ethereal effects, the one with higher value takes priority.
- Can be cast on Nether Ward and Tombstone, but not on any other ward.
- When cast on a Tombstone, the spell has no effect, wasting the mana and cooldown.
- Does not slow allied targets.
- When double-clicking the ability, the ward is placed right in front of Pugna, 150 ( 300) range away from him.
- The mana loss is provided by an aura with 1600 radius. Its debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds. The flare is independent from the aura.
- Causes mana loss by directly decreasing mana regeneration, so it drains 0.025%/0.05%/0.075%/0.1% mana in 0.1 second intervals.
- Can remove up to 7.625%/15.25%/22.875%/30.5% of a unit's maximum mana (ward duration + debuff linger time).
- Mana Flare triggers on every instance of mana usage from spells and items. If a spell or item costs no mana to use, it does not trigger on it.
- Mana Flare does not trigger on mana loss caused in other ways (all forms of mana burn, Mana Drain, Mana Leak, etc).
- The mana loss from Overcharge counts as a mana removal, not as a mana cost, and therefore does not proc Mana Flare either.
- Mana Flare deals the damage before the actual spell is cast, so if the target dies, the spell stays unused.
- The damage source is the ward itself, meaning certain on-damage effects react on the ward rather than on Pugna (e.g. Blade Mail).
- Illusions are treated as creeps when attacking the ward, so they take 16 attacks to destroy it, instead of 4 like heroes.
- The link breaks when the target turns invulnerable or hidden, exceeds the break distance, or runs out of health.
- The health restored equals the amount of damage dealt per tick after all reductions.
- This means when a damage instance is reduced (e.g. magic resistance, Refraction, etc), it heals for the reduced amount.
- But this also means that amplifying the damage (e.g. Decrepify, Soul Catcher, etc), causes it to heal for more.
- This also goes for targeting allies. The more damage it deals to Pugna, the more it heals and vice versa.
- This means that Pugna cannot heal his allies while he has 100% magic resistance (e.g. via spell immunity), since he takes 0 damage from the spell.
- The +50% heal talent for Life Drain amplifies the healing done by Life Drain by 50%. It is still based on the damage dealt.
- If Pugna's or the allied hero's health is full and the damaged unit is a hero, it restores their mana instead.
- This means it also restores mana on allied non-hero units when they are at full health, since Pugna (a hero) is damaged.
- Just like the health restoring, the amount of mana restored equals the amount of damage dealt after all reductions.
- The self-damage when targeting allies is lethal, so it can be used to deny oneself.
- Drains 37.5/50/62.5 ( 45/60/75) health in 0.25 second intervals, starting 0.25 seconds after cast, resulting in up to 40 instances.
- The color of the drain changes depending on the situation:
- When draining life from an enemy, the drain is red/green (pink/blue if Pugna is at full health).
- When draining life into an ally, the drain is green/green (blue/green if the ally is at full health).
- Can drain up to 1500/2000/2500 ( 1800/2400/3000) health (before reductions) when fully channeled.
- Instantly destroys targeted enemy illusions on the first instance. Allied illusions are not destroyed.
|+200 Nether Blast Damage||25||+50% Life Drain Heal|
|+150 Cast Range||20||+0.75 Nether Ward Damage per Mana|
|-1s Nether Blast Cooldown||15||+1s Decrepify Duration|
|+225 Health||10||+3 Mana Regen|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The mana regen is added as a bonus and does not benefit illusions.
- The cast range increase also affects the link break distance of Life Drain.
- Gauntlets of Strength and Circlet provide attributes to boost Pugna's early-game survivability. The increased strength gives him more HP to offset his squishiness.
- Clarity allows Pugna to replenish his mana in-lane. This can be particularly useful for maintaining repeated casting of Nether Blast.
- Tango and Healing Salve are crucial laning self-sustain items. Given Pugna's extremely low base HP, any source of HP regen goes a long way to keeping him alive.
- In the case of playing as a support, purchasing Animal Courier and Observer and Sentry Wards should hold priority, as Pugna does not greatly rely on items to be effective in-lane.
- Magic Stick can be a very strong pickup on Pugna, as the burst HP regen can often be enough to keep him alive long enough to cast one or two more spells.
- Boots of Speed can give Pugna a very strong mobility advantage over his lane opponents. Despite his already formidable base movement speed, becoming even more mobile can allow him to maneuver to offset his squishiness, and can be particularly useful when chasing down enemies to nuke them down.
- Bracer, upgraded from already-purchased Gauntlets of Strength and Circlet, improves Pugna's strength to give him enough HP to be more survivable.
- Magic Wand gives Pugna additional attributes and increased charge storage. Both are extremely useful on a very low-HP hero whose low-cost spells can greatly affect the outcome of a teamfight.
- Arcane Boots increases the size of Pugna's mana pool while allowing him to replenish it. Given Pugna's heavy reliance on casting, securing an early source of mana regen is crucial.
- Aether Lens is a very strong utility item that can boost Pugna's all-around effectiveness, and can be easily completed through disassembling Arcane Boots. The increased mana pool helps facilitate his spell casting. The increased cast range on all of Pugna's spells allow him to nuke his enemies from much safer distances, and also allows him to place Nether Ward at range (such as inside deep treelines or on elevated terrain). The spell damage amplification increases the potency of both Life Drain and Nether Blast, increasing Pugna's nuking power.
- Ghost Scepter gives Pugna a second source of Ghost Form, which improves Pugna's survivability against physical damage . It provides stats across the board, giving Pugna more HP and mana, both of which he severely needs . Casting level 4 Decrepify on Pugna, followed by using Ghost Scepter, and followed by casting level 4 Decrepify allows Pugna to have up to 11 seconds of physical immunity, or 13 seconds of physical immunity, if you take the Pugna's level 15 talent +1s Decrepify Duration . And later, you can upgrade Ghost Scepter to Ethereal Blade, which grants you a second source of Ghost Form to be used on teammates and enemy heroes, and a somewhat decent nuke
- Aghanim's Scepter greatly improves Pugna's survivability and nuking power. It provides stats across the board, giving Pugna more HP and mana, both of which he severely needs. The upgraded Life Drain allows Pugna to sustain his own HP in fights while simultaneously using it as a damage-over-time nuke on the enemy, and the removed cooldown allows him to immediately cast it again after being interrupted.
- Town Portal Scroll should be carried at all times on all heroes. While Pugna is not the strongest ganker, his spells make him a very strong asset to have in any teamfight, particularly due to the potency of a pre-placed Nether Ward.
- Mekansm is a strong teamfight utility item to pick up on Pugna. It gives him increased attributes and armor, increasing his survivability and giving him an active to heal himself and his team; it can be combined with an allied-cast Life Drain, healing Pugna to recoup lost health while further boosting the amount of HP recovered to an ally. Pugna's tremendous intelligence growth ensures that he can easily afford the mana cost.
- Rod of Atos gives Pugna additional disable and many strong bonuses for a cheap price. The increased HP greatly improves Pugna's survivability, while the bonus intelligence augments his mana pool and base damage. The active can be combined with Decrepify to slow a foe down to minimum movement speed, while the extremely long cast range allows Pugna to use it on enemies from complete safety.
- Scythe of Vyse gives Pugna a hard disable and many powerful bonuses. It gives him stats across the board, vastly increased intelligence, and scaling mana regen to keep his mana pool topped up at all times. The Hex is an extremely powerful ability to have on hand in teamfights and ganks.
- Shiva's Guard gives Pugna increased survivability and additional teamfight contribution. It greatly improves Pugna's armor, which combined with the Freezing Aura goes a long way towards decreasing his vulnerability to physical damage, and greatly improves the size of his mana pool as well. The active can be used as an additional damage nuke and slow, augmenting Pugna's existing ability to do both with his abilities.
- Dagon greatly improves Pugna's nuking power, particularly when combined with Decrepify. It provides increased intelligence to boost the size of his mana pool as well.
- Black King Bar is a strong survivability item to purchase on Pugna. The spell immunity prevents Pugna from being easily interrupted while channeling Life Drain, and when combined with a self-cast Decrepify can make him virtually invulnerable to all damage for a time.
- Drum of Endurance is a good early to mid game pick up that provides Pugna with a cheap increase to his attributes and movement speed.
- Urn of Shadows is a good cheap support utility item to pick up as a support. It gives him additional strength for more HP, and some mana regen to sustain his casting. The active allows Pugna to heal teammates up on top of Life Drain, or recoup the HP cost of Life Drain when healing allies, and can also be cast on enemies as an additional damage nuke.
- Tranquil Boots is a cheaper substitute in place of Arcane Boots, but can be situationally useful on a support Pugna if an alternate source of mana replenishment can be obtained. It improves Pugna's armor, increasing his survivability, and greatly boosts his movement speed to make him more mobile. The passive HP regen keeps Pugna's HP topped up, and allows him to cast an allied Life Drain at will to keep allies' HP up.
- Glimmer Cape is a useful utility item that is useful on Pugna in any role. The increased magic resistance helps with survivability, while the active can be self-cast to shield Pugna during an enemy-targeted Life Drain. The invisibility can also be used to aid in initiation or escape, for Pugna or an ally.
- Force Staff is very useful to purchase on Pugna in any situation. It gives Pugna extra mobility, as well as an escape ability that he otherwise lacks, and can be used to save allies on top of Decrepify. The increased intelligence boosts the size of his mana pool, while the HP regen keeps him topped up.
- Blink Dagger greatly improves Pugna's mobility, allowing him to move more easily around the map or get within range to cast his spells much more easily. It also allows for much more creative placement of Nether Ward, as Pugna can utilize cliffs and ward spots should the opportunity present itself.
- Veil of Discord is a cheap but useful nuke-boosting item to purchase on a support Pugna. It gives him stats across the board, a great amount of intelligence, and provides armor and HP regen, increasing his survivability somewhat. The active greatly boosts the effectiveness of all of Pugna's spells, particularly as it can be stacked on top of Decrepify to further reduce enemies' magic resistance.
- Boots of Travel is an expensive investment but greatly boosts Pugna's ability to push and counter-push. The bonus movement speed makes Pugna even faster, allowing him to move more easily around the battlefield, and the teleport allows Pugna to move between lanes to either split-push the enemy and threaten their barracks or halt an enemy creep wave in its tracks before it reaches his base.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a useful utility item that gives Pugna increased casting and disabling capability. The scaling mana regeneration allows Pugna to take advantage of his plentiful intelligence growth, keeping his mana pool full so that he can remain out in the field for extended periods of time, and the improved movement speed makes him even more mobile. The active allows Pugna to either give himself temporary invulnerability while removing debuffs, or can be targeted on an enemy as a hard-disable, allowing him to easily land Nether Blast on an enemy.
- Necronomicon is a powerful utility item that improves Pugna's teamfight contribution. The summoned warriors can be controlled while Pugna is channeling Life Drain, and can add additional damage output to a teamfight as needed. Upgraded to level 3, they can also provide True Sight, which can be useful for preventing enemies from casting invisibility abilities to break Life Drain.
- Orchid Malevolence is somewhat unorthodox on Pugna, but can greatly augment his disabling and solo-killing power. Silencing an enemy can prevent them from easily casting counter-disables against Pugna, particularly while he is casting Life Drain, and Pugna's sheer nuking power can often be enough to finish off a target with the HP burn at the end of the silence duration. As well, the silence can be cast on top of Decrepify to prevent a single target from attacking or casting spells, rendering them helpless unless they have dispelling items. The item also greatly improves Pugna's intelligence and mana regen, further boosting his casting ability.
- Bloodstone is a powerful tank item that greatly improves Pugna's HP and mana pool, vastly increasing his survivability in fights. Getting charges also allows Pugna to take utmost advantage of his short cooldown spells by greatly increasing his mana regen.
- Guardian Greaves, upgraded from a purchased Arcane Boots and Mekansm, gives Pugna increased survivability. Combining the benefits of both items, using the Mend allows Pugna to instantly purge debuffs from himself (such as silences), and the aura increases his team's survivability when their HP gets low through increased HP regen and armor.
- Heart of Tarrasque is a situational utility item that gives Pugna tankiness and increases the staying power of his team. Greatly improving Pugna's HP makes him much less liable to die in teamfights, and thus able to contribute more in any given engagement. More importantly, it allows Pugna to use an allied Life Drain to greatly restore a teammate's HP and even replenish their mana, as he can quickly recoup the HP cost of the spell through the passive regen.
- Octarine Core tremendously boosts Pugna's survivability and casting power, and can make him a force to be reckoned with when given farm priority. It greatly boosts Pugna's HP and mana, making him much tankier and allowing him to cast his spells profligately. The Spell Lifesteal and reduced cooldown vastly boost the potency of his nukes, allowing him to recover HP through short-cooldown Nether Blasts and recovering more HP than he takes from enemies during Life Drain. The cooldown reduction also allows him to have Nether Ward active at all times (assuming it isn't destroyed) and even have two active at once as the duration of the ward is 30 seconds and the cooldown is 26.25 after reduction.
- According to Alchemist's rival hero taunt, Pugna is composed largely of phosphorus. Being a skeleton, he would be made of the phosphorus-containing mineral hydroxyapatite, a major component of bone.
- Several lines of dialogue reference Viper being Pugna's pet before he was summoned from the Nether by a wizard.
- "Pugna" is a Latin word that translates to a few meanings, namely "fight", "dispute", or "conflict".
- Pugna's unused response Play "First, do no harm." is a reference to the medical principle "Primum non nocere", which is latin and translates into "First, do no harm".
- In DotA, Pugna's title was Oblivion. While his lore and lines still mention "Oblivion" in Dota 2, this is now the name of his art of sorcery rather than his title, making Pugna one of the few Dota 2 heroes without both a name and a title.
Low Violence model