- Abaddon can activate to dispel Dismember; breaking the disable and potentially allowing Abaddon to escape.
- can be cast on an ally to dispel the stun of Dismember, which can make kills difficult to secure, given that Dismember is Pudge's only reliable disable.
- If Meat Hook is used before , Anti-Mage may be able to escape Pudge's grasp by blinking safety.
- grants Anti-Mage a large degree of magic resistance, a damage type Pudge is highly reliant on to secure kills. This make Anti-Mage a bad target for Pudge.
- can quickly drains Pudge's low supply of mana, which may render Meat Hook & Dismember unusable and making him a prime target for .
- Pudge is particularly susceptible to Bristleback's and due to his naturally low armor & poor agility gain.
- Bristleback, in combination with his strength gain, high health, common itemization for magic resistance and damage reduction from makes him a poor target for Pudge.
- can easily keep vision on Pudge, making it impossible to catch up with his Meat Hook for Bounty Hunter's teammates or him.
- It's very difficult for Pudge to use Rot on and hook Bounty Hunter due to .
- cancels out Dismember from a good range.
- can be used to save an ally during Dismember and Rot.
- A combination of armor, making him even more vulnerable to physical damage. , , and items like or can tear off Pudge's low
- disables the toggling of Rot and, if cast at the right time, may leave Pudge with a potentially lethal health drain.
- Doom's naturally high health, strength gain and damage output makes him a poor target for Pudge.
- The damage of Doom's scales with the target's maximum health, which is particularly effective against Pudge due to his naturally high health and further health granted by stacks of Flesh Heap.
- Legion Commander can use on an ally to dispel the disable of Dismember. The bonus health regeneration also partially counters the damage of Rot
- can be used on Pudge whilst Rot is active, disabling toggling which may result in a lethal health drain that leaves Legion Commander with a successful duel.
- The damage of scales accordingly to the health of its target, which is effective against Pudge due to his high health and further health granted by stacks of Flesh Heap.
- Lifestealer can activate to completely negate magic damage, therefore rendering the damage of Rot and Dismember null.
- Pudge's plentiful health makes him an ideal target for .
- If Meat Hook is used before , Mirana may be able to escape Pudge's grasp by leaping to safety.
- The invisibility from gives a degree of mobility, which can make Mirana or her teammates a difficult target to hook.
- can be used to cancel Dismember within a distance.
- has a low cooldown and allows Monkey King to jumps on trees quickly, making him a difficult target to hook.
- Because of his low attack speed and poor agility, Monkey King can inflict a large amount of damage quickly by .
- interrupts Pudge's Dismember from a long range.
- Night Stalker can easily find Pudge's location during .
- 's mini-stun and silence from at night will stop Dismember, Meat Hook and Rot and preventing Pudge from fighting back.
- has naturally high health, strength gain and common itemization for survivability through magic resistance make Night Stalker a poor target.
- completely drains Pudge's little mana which may render Meat Hook & Dismember unusable.
- and used to cancel Dismember if timed perfectly.
- grants Nyx Assassin invisibility and a high degree of mobility for a long time, which can make Nyx a difficult target to hook. In addition, it also scouts out Pudge's location and surprising him with his attack, and .
- and quickly drains Pudge's limited mana pool, making him unable to use Meat Hook or Dismember and also bypasses Fleash Heap.
- Outworld Devourer can save allies or himself caught by Dismember or Meat Hook with .
lowers armor and reveals Pudge's location, making it hard to use Meat Hook on Slardar's teammates or Slardar himself.
- Because also reduces armor, it amplifies 's damage.
- interrupts Pudge during Dismember at close range.
- allows Slardar to avoid Meat Hook.
- dispels Dismember if timed perfectly.
- Pudge's low attack speed and poor agility can be lowered even further by .
- grants Slark invisibility and a high degree of mobility, which can make Slark a difficult target to hook and also protects him from Pudge's Dismember (including allies with an ).
- reduces Pudge's armor which he already lacks.
- can dispel Dismember after reaching a certain threshold of damage.
- Tidehunter's naturally high health, strength gain, and common itemization for survivability through magic resistance make Tidehunter a poor target.
- A Meat Hook might allow Tidehunter to get a very ideal .
- The percentage-based primary-attribute reduction effect of can be devastating for Pudge due to his high strength gain through Flesh Heap.
- 's health regeneration and common itemization for magic resistance and durability make Timbersaw a poor target for Pudge.
- 's high mobility makes Timbersaw difficult to lockdown for Pudge, given he only has one reliable disable.
- grants Weaver invisibility and a high degree of mobility for a short time, which can make Weaver a difficult target to hook.
- with can remove Pudge little natural armor and makes it difficult to remove Weaver's beetles, due to his low base attack time and poor agility. Additionally, can scout out Pudge's location.
- Given that Pudge only has one reliable disable in Dismember, should Weaver survive, Weaver can simply use (or target allies with ) to remove the damage entirely.
- Pudge is strong versus heroes with low health, being able to kill them with a combo. On the other hand, tanky heroes are strong versus Pudge because they can survive and even turn the fight around.
- Pudge often doesn't rush , and that makes him vulnerable during Dismember against most disables such as , , , , , , , , , , , , , and many more.
- Heroes with many summons or illusions are much harder to catch with Meat Hook: , , .
- Heroes with a high degree of mobility and invisibility are hard to catch with Meat Hook: , , , .
- Anti-Tank heroes like: , , .
- Meat Hook can prove annoying for Pudge if Rubick s it by saving allies from ganks.
- Any heroes with or a mana break talent is a big issue for Pudge because of his low mana pool.
- will make the bearer immune to Pudge's magical damage. Keep in mind that Dismember's stun pierces spell immunity, but does not deal any damage.
- is not the best choice, but can be good to escape the area faster than Meat Hook can reach.
- and will prevent Dismember.
- will be used by players to escape Pudge's Meat Hook, or, in worse conditions, escape Pudge himself after Dismember. It is also a great alternative for due to increasing your mana, intelligence, and having a relatively cheaper price.
- makes Meat Hook much harder to land because of the illusions and invulnerability duration.
- will wear down Pudge's low mana pool.
- and / makes Meat Hook difficult to land because of their invisibility duration.
- can be used to cancel Pudge's Dismember and make him unavailable to fight for a while. You can also dodge hooks by using it on yourself.
- Pudge's high health pool will make him have possibilities of escaping .
- Meat Hook can cancel , even if Crystal Maiden has .
- She is also slow and is fragile, making her a good target for ganking.
- Meat Hook can pull Drow Ranger to Pudge, disabling her .
- Following up with Dismember will prevent Drow Ranger from using or .
- Pudge can easily survive Luna's and , and his Meat Hook and Dismember can pierce , making Luna one of the perfect victims for ganking.
- However, can cancel Dismember, as Pudge often doesn't build Black King Bar, and if she is farmed enough, Luna might be able to fight back against Pudge.
- Sniper has a low health pool and strength gain, making him vulnerable to Pudge's magical and pure damage.
- Sniper usually likes to deal damage away from the fight, and Meat Hook is capable of bringing him to the front lines.
- won't do much damage against Pudge because of his high strength gain and the strength bonuses from Flesh Heap.
- Pudge's Dismember does not allow Spectre to escape with .
- He can easily tank the damage reflected by due to his high strength and the healing from Dismember.
- Should Spectre try to get away through the trees or over a cliff with , Pudge can hook her back.
- Spectre takes a long time to come online, and Pudge can ruin her early game with ganks.
- Pudge is the perfect hero for tanking mines, as Flesh Heap grants him lots of strength.
- Techies' high ground defense can be bypassed by Pudge hooking his enemies to him.
- Techies usually sits in the trees during the laning stage, setting up . Meat Hook can easily pull them out and set them up for a kill.
- Meat Hook can used to pull Tinker while he is hiding in the trees, and a follow up with Dismember and Rot leads to an easy solo kill, as Tinker doesn't buy many survivability items.
- Flesh Heap makes it hard for Tinker to deal serious damage.
- Zeus likes to stay far back in fights, dealing his damage uninterrupted, but once he gets hooked into the fight, he usually dies very quickly.
- Pudge's high strength from Flesh Heap make it very hard for Zeus to burst him down.
- Zeus' low health pool makes him very vulnerable to the damage from Meat Hook, Rot and Dismember.
- Heroes that have a channeled ability can be interrupted by Meat Hook: , , , .
- Heroes with magical nukes are mostly irrelevant against Pudge because of his innate magic resistance and huge health pool from Flesh Heap, making their spells less effective against him from mid to late game.
Works well with...
- Pudge can hook enemies into mines, which can guarantee a kill.
- Pugna can use on an enemy, causing them to take extra damage from Rot and Dismember.
- The control provided by Rot + Dismember combo gives Pugna an easier time into casting and on the hooked victim
- can set up a hook, if timed correctly.
- Lifestealer can remain hidden inside Pudge using , and can burst out when Pudge successfully hooks an enemy. He can then continue to do damage while Pudge disables his enemy using his ultimate.
- Lion can secure kills with .
- is a very good Meat Hook setup.
- Tiny and Pudge can make quite a deadly duo with Tiny able to use to engage by tossing Pudge onto an enemy or toss a enemy onto Pudge so Pudge can get a Dismember off to keep them stunned long enough for the rest of the team or just Tiny to help secure the kill.
- Another good reason is if you really want is to get a bit tactical with and Meat Hook by tossing pudge into a spot where he can get a good hook and maybe pull someone who is low to either their death or save them from certain doom.
- Crystal Maiden can combine her 's slow with Rot's slow to deliver high amounts of damage.
- : Frostbitten enemies are easily hooked.
- fulfills Pudge's mana needs.
- Dismember can be combined with to kill most heroes early in the game or to prevent a hero from disabling Crystal Maiden while she channels.
- can use on an enemy, setting up an easy Meat Hook for Pudge.
- can use on an enemy, giving Pudge enough time to hook during the lift duration.