Puck, the Faerie Dragon, is a highly mobile ranged intelligence hero best known for being an extremely unpredictable and slippery target. Puck is commonly played as an initiator and ganker, with spells that are equally useful for super-aggressive maneuvers as well as daring escapes. Expert use of Puck's abilities will let you appear out of nowhere, suddenly leave your enemies crippled and disadvantaged, and get away in the blink of an eye - but mess up your timing or misjudge the situation, and there is little left to save this fragile Hero from death.
- The orb emits red pulses for the last 650 distance, indicating that it is about to reach its maximum travel range.
- The orb has 450 range flying vision.
- The orb also spawns 7 ( 10) vision fields with the same vision range every 279 ( 273) distance traveled.
- These vision fields last for 3.34 seconds each.
- This ability is automatically learned whenever Illusory Orb is learned.
- This ability stays inactive until Illusory Orb is cast and turns inactive again once the orb of that cast is gone.
- Ethereal Jaunt disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- When two orbs are cast in succession, this ability only stays active for the duration of the first cast orb.
- However, it always teleports Puck to its last created orb.
- Despite the visual effects, the silence and damage are applied instantly in the entire radius.
- Waning Rift first applies the damage, then the debuff.
- Phase Shift disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Certain items which do not cancel channeling spells (e.g. Shadow Blade or Shiva's Guard) do cancel Phase Shift.
- Puck is invulnerable and hidden during Phase Shift, turning it to an invalid target for every spell.
- The buff lingers for one server tick once the channeling ends or is interrupted, which allows using items while still invulnerable and hidden.
- Puck retains its collision size during Phase Shift.
- Puck can cancel Phase Shift at any time with any action.
- Every enemy hero within 375 range of the coil upon cast gets linked to it. The links last as long as the coil itself or until broken.
- Walking within 375 range to the coil after cast has no effect.
- If a linked hero moves 600 range away from the coil, the link breaks and stuns and damages the hero.
- It does not matter how far or how fast the hero moves away, the stun and damage always hit it, unless they are invulnerable.
- Dream Coil latches on invisible units and on units in the Fog of War. But the visible link draws to their last known location.
- The link break first applies the damage, then the debuff.
- Multiple instances of Dream Coil fully stack, with each cast placing its own separate debuff.
- When the level 25 talent is chosen, Puck performs instant attacks on all enemies who have the coiled debuff.
- The attacks are limited to Puck's attack range, and are not global.
- These attacks can proc any attack modifier and on hit effects normally.
- The attacks are performed even while Puck is disabled, hidden or even while dead. This means the attacks happen even during Phase Shift.
- Since the rapid fire is bound to the coiled debuff, removing it earlier causes the attacks to stop, even when the enemy is still linked.
- Multiple instances of Dream Coil on enemies causes Puck to attack multiple times, for each instance, with the interval based on when the debuffs were received.
|Dream Coil Rapid Fire||25||+420 Gold/Min|
|+40% Illusory Orb Distance/Speed||20||-5s Waning Rift Cooldown|
|+50 Damage||15||+8% Spell Amplification|
|+5 Armor||10||+10 Intelligence|
- The intelligence talent effectively grants Puck 120 mana, 20% mana regen amplification, 0.71% spell damage, 1.5% magic resistance and 10 attack damage.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- Healing Salve helps keep Puck in lane.
- Clarity allows Puck to use Illusory Orb more often in lane.
- Null Talisman and its components gives Puck a decent early game attributes boost.
- Faerie Fire supplies attack damage and heal. Having two of the item and Null Talisman can help Puck to dominate last hits.
- Magic Stick helps Puck sustain mana and health to keep active in the mid lane.
- Bottle is optimal for Puck because of his mid lane presence, and is needed to replenish mana for his early game nukes.
- Town Portal Scroll is always useful for rotating lanes and helping out allies.
- Blink Dagger provides great synergy with Puck's other abilities and further augments Puck's evasive nature.
- Power Treads help Puck in the early to mid game, as they supplement both Puck's small health pool, as well as Puck's mana pool.
- Arcane Boots is a viable alternative, and helps Puck use its magical nukes more often in the early game.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a useful pickup if your team needs another disable really soon. It also keeps Puck safe for a few extra seconds until his other escape abilities come off cooldown.
- Dagon is a good extension from your core if the enemy team doesn't have the resources to focus you down, as it greatly increases your magical damage.
- Scythe of Vyse provides a large amount of mana and mana regeneration (which are useful as Puck's abilities have a large mana cost), as well as having a very effective disable.
- Veil of Discord is a good item to greatly increase your team's DPS in the early to mid game. The two Null Talismans required to build it also benefits Puck.
- Phase Boots grant high damage at early game, helping Puck getting most of last hits. The high movement speed bonus helps Puck escape or chase enemies.
- Hand of Midas is a viable item if your team is ahead, as Puck is not extremely item dependent after getting Blink Dagger.
- Force Staff gives Puck extra mobility. It can also be used to break Dream Coil to trigger a stun.
- Shiva's Guard will increase your mana pool and your resistance to physical damage, which makes it an ideal item against physical attack heroes. It will also provide you with a fairly powerful area nuke and slow.
- Linken's Sphere makes Puck even harder to pin down, and provides great attributes.
- Aghanim's Scepter grants attributes and increases duration of Dream Coil to better control the enemies. It also prolongs the stun duration and pierces spell immunity, great if allies can force the stun. Combined with the Level 25 Rapid Fire modifier, Puck's rapid fire attack can reach up to 10 attacks instead of 8.
- Bloodstone will eliminate any need for extra mana regeneration, while also giving you a large amount of HP. However, it should be only picked up if you are snowballing.
|Roles:||Initiator Disabler Escape Nuker|
|Playstyle:||Hatched on the frond of the Undertree, Puck's youthful mischievousness belied inscrutable motives. Tricky and elusive, the neotenous Faerie Dragon launches a bright Illusory Orb, then reappears at any point along its path. It disrupts magecraft with a sprinkle of faerie dust, then Phase Shifts out of existence to avoid swords and spells alike. Equally adept at fighting and play, Puck binds foes to a single point with Dream Coil, forcing them to break their restraints and be stunned, or stay and face Puck's advancing allies.|
- Puck's alternate name was Kupu-Kupu, which means "moth" or "butterfly" in the Malay and Indonesian languages.
- Puck was introduced in Version 6.48 as a result of a hero creation contest held on the DotA-Allstars forum, in which players designed a new hero to suit the faerie dragon model from Warcraft III. This makes Puck the first and only hero created by the community.
- Puck pays homage to a character of the same name from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Aside from Puck's playful attitude, its line "A midsummer nightmare" is also an allusion to the play.
- Since Puck pays homage to a Shakespeare character, most of its lines are delivered in phrasing similar to iambic pentameter.
- The Version 6.87 Illusory Orb speed change was a developer's joke based on this reddit thread.
- This line Play "One Puck, two Puck, three Puck more!" is a reference to Eminem's final rap battle in 8 Mile movie (2002).
- This line Play "One and one and one is three!" is a reference to The Beatles' song "Come Together" (1969).
The International 2014 artwork