Puck the Faerie Dragon is a highly mobile ranged intelligence hero best known for being an extremely unpredictable and slippery target. Puck is commonly played as an initiator and ganker, with spells that are equally useful for super-aggressive maneuvers as well as daring escapes. Expert use of Puck's abilities will let you appear out of nowhere, suddenly leave your enemies crippled and disadvantaged, and get away in the blink of an eye - but mess up your timing or misjudge the situation, and there is little left to save this fragile Hero from death.
|Puck, the Faerie Dragon|
|Play "I find myself strangely drawn to this odd configuration of activity."|
|Role:||Initiator / Disabler / Escape / Nuker|
|Lore:||While Puck seems at first glance a mischievous, childish character, this quality masks an alien personality. The juvenile form of a Faerie Dragon, a creature that lives for eons, Puck spends countless millennia in its childish form. So while it is technically true that Puck is juvenile, it will continue to be so when the cities of the present age have sloughed away into dust. Its motives are therefore inscrutable, and what appears to be play may in fact indicate a darker purpose or just its endless fondness for mischief.|
|Voice:||Jen Taylor (Responses)|
- Illusory Orb travels at a speed of 651 ( 1139.25), resulting in a total travel time of 2.995 seconds.
- The orb emits red pulses for the last 650 distance, indicating that it is about to reach its maximum travel range.
- The orb has 450 range flying vision.
- The orb also spawns 5 ( 10) vision fields with the same vision range every 390 ( 340) distance traveled.
- These vision fields last for 3.34 seconds each.
- The projectile blocks neutral creep camps.
- This ability is automatically learned whenever Illusory Orb is learned.
- This ability stays inactive until Illusory Orb is cast and turns inactive again once the orb of that cast is gone.
- Ethereal Jaunt disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- When two orbs are cast in succession, this ability only stays active for the duration of the first cast orb.
- However, it always teleports Puck to its last created orb.
- Despite the visual effects, the silence and damage are applied instantly in the entire radius.
- Phase Shift disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Certain items which do not cancel channeling spells (e.g. Shadow Blade or Shiva's Guard) do cancel Phase Shift.
- Puck is invulnerable and hidden during Phase Shift, turning it to an invalid target for every spell.
- Puck retains its collision size during Phase Shift.
- Puck can cancel Phase Shift at any time with any action.
- Every enemy hero within 375 range of the coil upon cast gets linked to it. The links last as long as the coil itself or until broken.
- Walking within 375 range to the coil after cast has no effect.
- Can link heroes up to 1125 range away (cast range + coil radius).
- If the linked heroes move 600 range away from the coil, they break the link and get stunned and damaged.
- It does not matter how far or how fast the hero moves away, the stun and damage always hit it, unless they are invulnerable.
- Dream Coil latches on invisible units and on units in the Fog of War. But the visible link draws to their last known location.
|+75% Illusory Orb Distance/Speed||25||+420 Gold/Min|
|-3s Waning Rift Cooldown||20||+10% Spell Amplification|
|+20% Magic Resistance||15||+50 Damage|
|+175 Health||10||+8 Intelligence|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- Gold granted from the talent is unreliable gold.
- Healing Salve helps keep Puck in lane.
- Clarity allows Puck to use Illusory Orb more often in lane.
- Null Talisman and its components gives Puck a decent early game stats boost.
- Magic Stick helps Puck sustain mana and health to keep active in the mid lane.
- Bottle is optimal for Puck because of his mid lane presence, and is needed to replenish mana for his early game nukes.
- Town Portal Scroll is always useful for rotating lanes and helping out allies.
- Blink Dagger provides great synergy with Puck's other abilities and further augments Puck's evasive nature.
- Power Treads help Puck in the early-mid game, as they supplement both Puck's small health pool, as well as Puck's mana pool.
- Arcane Boots is a viable alternative, and helps Puck use his magical nukes more often in the early game.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity is a useful pickup if your team needs another disable really soon. It also keeps Puck safe for a few extra seconds until his other escape abilities come off cooldown.
- Dagon is a good extension from your core if the enemy team doesn't have the resources to focus you down, as it greatly increases your magic damage.
- Shiva's Guard will increase your mana pool and your resistance to physical damage, which makes it an ideal item against right-click heroes. It will also provide you with a fairly powerful AoE nuke and slow.
- Linken's Sphere makes Puck even harder to pin down, and provides great stats.
- Hand of Midas is a viable item if your team is ahead, as Puck is not extremely item dependent after getting Blink Dagger.
- Force Staff gives Puck extra mobility. It can also be used to break Dream Coil to trigger a stun.
- Scythe of Vyse provides a large amount of mana and mana regen (which are useful as Puck's abilities have a large mana cost), as well as having a very effective disable.
- Bloodstone will eliminate any need for extra mana regen, while also giving you a large amount of HP. However, it should be only picked up if you are snowballing.
- Veil of Discord is a good item to greatly increase your team's DPS in the early/mid game. The two Null Talismans required to build it also benefits Puck.
- Puck's alternate name was Kupu-Kupu, which means "moth" or "butterfly" in the Malay and Indonesian languages.
- Puck was introduced in Version 6.48 as a result of a hero creation contest held on the DotA-Allstars forum, in which players designed a new hero to suit the faerie dragon model from Warcraft III. This makes Puck the first and only hero created by the community.
- Puck pays homage to a character of the same name from Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Aside from Puck's playful attitude, its line "A midsummer nightmare" is also an allusion to the play.
- Since Puck pays homage to a Shakespeare character, most of its lines are delivered in phrasing similar to iambic pentameter.
- The Version 6.87 Illusory Orb speed change was a developer's joke based on this reddit thread.
- This line Play "One Puck, two Puck, three Puck more!" is a reference to Eminem's final rap battle in 8 Mile movie (2002).