Donté Panlin, the Pangolier, is a melee agility hero. Due to his aggressive and brawling-oriented nature, he is best played in a position where he can quickly get an item advantage over the enemy. Perhaps his most iconic skill is Swashbuckle, a trickster's tool for swordplay and mobility, and also the first and only vector-targeted ability in Dota 2. Other tools in his kit include Shield Crash, which deals an area nuke and provides him with incoming damage reduction for each enemy hero hit, Heartpiercer, allowing his attacks to slice through enemies' armor, and Rolling Thunder, during which he curls into an unstoppable rolling ball which stuns and knocks back anything it hits, at the cost of a decreased turn rate.
Just like Io, Pangolier does not need to be facing towards a unit in order to move, attack, use abilities, or items.
- Uses Vector targeting. Upon left mouse key press, the dash point is determined, and upon release, the direction is determined.
- When using quick cast on key up, the point is determined on ability key press, and the direction on ability key release
- When using quick cast on key down, the point is determined on key press, and the direction can be determined by either a mouse left click, or by pressing the key again.
- Casting Swashbuckle during Rolling Thunder immediately cancels Rolling Thunder.
- Pangolier dashes towards the targeted point at a speed of 2000. Can dash over impassable terrain and through trees.
- After the dash, Pangolier makes 4 slashes towards the targeted direction.
- Makes a slash in 0.1 second intervals, starting immediately upon reaching the target point, taking 0.3 seconds to make all slashes.
- During the dash and the 4 slashes, Pangolier is stunned, and therefore unable to act.
- Causes Pangolier to perform instant attacks on all hit enemies.
- These attacks have True Strike, and can therefore never miss. They also ignore disarms.
- Can proc any attack modifier (including Heartpiercer) on all of the hit targets normally.
- Cleave effects are based on the hit enemies position, damaging a trapezoid area the opposite direction where the attacks came from.
- Despite the audio, the slashes do not hit ethereal units, so that attack modifiers may not proc.
- Also applies instant attacks on all enemies Pangolier directly dashes through.
- Sets Pangolier's damage to the given values. This means attack damage bonuses and reductions are completely ignored.
- All slashes together can deal up to 96/168/240/312 ( 216/288/360/432) damage per hit enemy (before reductions).
- The slashes can hit units up to 1025 range away from Pangolier after the dash.
- When used at max cast range, can hit units up to 2025 range away from the original cast location.
- Choosing the damage increasing talent during an active cast immediately updates the damage of the remaining slashes.
- Pangolier jumps 225 range forwards when cast, 250 range high. While in the air, other units can pass below him.
- During Rolling Thunder, Shield Crash only moves on the z axis (vertical movement), and does not move him on the x and y axis (horizontal).
- However, due to how vertical and horizontal movement stack with each other, it does not interfere with spells which move Pangolier on the x and y axis.
- This means when cast during Rolling Thunder, he effectively jumps in an arc, using the height of the jump and the velocity of Rolling Thunder.
- Pangolier is fully disabled during the jump. When cast during Rolling Thunder, he is not disabled during it.
- When Rolling Thunder ends during the jump of Shield Crash, the forward velocity is not kept, so he falls straight down again.
- The area damage hits all enemies within range, but the buff only counts hit heroes.
- This is how much resistance he has with a certain amount of heroes hit on each level.
- Level 1: 9%/18%/27%/36%/45%
- Level 2: 12%/24%/36%/48%/60%
- Level 3: 15%/30%/45%/60%/75%
- Level 4: 18%/36%/54%/72%/90%
- The visual effect (5 shields circling) around Pangolier has 3 different states, based on how many enemies were hit.
- With one or two enemies hit, the 5 shields are small and have no extra effects.
- With three enemies hit, the shields are bigger and gain a light yellow flame-like effect.
- With four or more enemies hit, the yellow flame gets much stronger.
- When recast while still having the buff from a previous cast, it refreshes, and the damage resistance updates if more enemy heroes were hit, but not if less were hit.
- The cast backswing increases to 0.54 during Rolling Thunder.
- Upon proccing a visual effect and a debuff on the target indicate the delay until the armor negation and slow are applied.
- If the target is invulnerable after the delay, the armor negation and slow will not be applied.
- The armor negation sets the target's armor to 0. This means it also negates armor reducing effects.
- Gaining or losing armor after debuff is already placed does not matter. It always gets negated completely.
- Despite what the HUD displays, Heartpiercer negates all armor, including bonus armor, and not just base armor and that gained by agility.
- Physical Resist on HUD is always right.
- The armor reduction affects creeps as well, even though their armor value and physical resist does not change in the HUD.
- When proccing on an enemy who already has the reducing debuff, it refreshes that debuff, instead of placing a new delay debuff.
- When proccing on an enemy who already has the delay debuff, nothing happens.
- The proccing attack first applies the debuff, then its own damage.
- Heartpiercer uses pseudo-random distribution.
- For better readability, the turn rate during Rolling Thunder is given as per second, instead of per 0.03 seconds.
- 120 degrees per second equal a turn rate of 0.063.
- The turn rate is boosted by an additional 165 degrees upon beginning to roll, upon hitting a cliff or wall, or upon landing after Shield Crash.
- This boost lasts for 0.25 seconds. It effectively increases the turn rate to 0.149 for that time.
- Pangolier takes a maximum of 180° turns per move order he gives. This means he does not move in a circle around one targeted point.
- Pangolier's final path and direction pre move order depends on a vector from Pangolier's position to targeted point, which is always parallel with the path.
- Upon colliding with unpathable terrain, Pangolin stops for 0.2 seconds and then starts rolling the direction he came from.
- Pangolier is not disabled while rolling and can use any items and abilities normally.
- The roll speed is fixed and cannot be altered in any way.
- Every enemy coming within 150 of Pangolier while rolling gets damaged, knocked back, and stunned.
- The damage and knockback happen immediately on contact. The stun is applied right after the knockback, although the knockback itself is disabling as well.
- Enemies are knocked 150 range away from Pangolier over 0.4 seconds. Can knock enemies over impassable terrain.
- This means the disable lasts a total of 1.4/1.65/1.9 seconds.
- The Timeout debuff prevents units from getting hit by Rolling Thunder again. Its duration equals the combined duration of the knockback and the stun and cannot be altered.
- Rolling Thunder first applies the damage, then the debuffs.
- Replaces Rolling Thunder for its duration or until used.
|-16s Rolling Thunder Cooldown||25||-3s Swashbuckle Cooldown|
|+20 Strength||20||+30 Swashbuckle Damage|
|+30 Attack Speed||15||2s Shield Crash CD in Ball|
|+25 Movement Speed||10||+2 Mana Regen|
- Iron Branch provides cheap attributes and can be used with Tango for the extra heal.
- Tango helps Pangolier stay in lane with health regeneration.
- Healing Salve also restores Pangolier's health.
- Stout Shield helps against early lane harassment.
- Enchanted Mango provides passive health regeneration and burst mana for using abilities; it can also build into Magic Wand.
- Quelling Blade helps Pangolier lasthit by granting bonus damage against creeps.
- Boots of Speed grant movement speed to chase enemies.
- Magic Wand increases Pangoliers sustainability with attributes, as well as providing burst health and mana.
- Ring of Aquila gives attributes and mana regeneration for Pangolier to use abilities.
- Arcane Boots restores teammates' and Pangolier's mana, sustaining his low-cooldown abilities.
- Javelin gives each Swashbuckle slash a 25% chance to deal 100 extra damage at a very low price. Multiple Javelins stack to increase proc chance during Swashbuckle.
- Blink Dagger allows Pangolier to position on top of enemy heroes, use Shield Crash, and Swashbuckle away.
- Pangolier can use it with Rolling Thunder to initiate or blink back to enemies for a second stun.
- Pangolier maintains the position he was facing after using Blink.
- Diffusal Blade adds extra damage and mana burn to the Swashbuckle slashes and gives Pangolier a slow to keep targets in range of Rolling Thunder and Swashbuckle.
- Monkey King Bar can be built from Javelin and provides Pangolier with accuracy in addition to the bonus damage from Pierce.
- Abyssal Blade helps lock enemies down with stun; Swashbuckle also procs bash from a distance.
- Boots of Travel allow Pangolier to get around the map quickly, aiding his team in fights with low-cooldown abilities.
- Orb of Venom works with Swashbuckle and allows Pangolier to trade hits in lane.
- Power Treads provide appropriate attributes with tread switching, giving intelligence to help with abilities usage or giving strength to stay alive.
- Vanguard grants health and damage block, coupling with Shield Crash's damage reduction to increase Pangolier's survivability.
- Sange and Yasha improves Pangoliers attributes and the Maim works with Swashbuckle.
- Black King Bar is helpful to protect Pangolier from being stunned in the middle of the enemy team.
- Linken's Sphere may protect Pangolier from spell immunity piercing abilities that can cancel his Rolling Thunder.
- Manta Style can be useful against silences and for some extra Diffusal Blade's mana burn.
- Blade Mail discourages enemies from attacking Pangolier and often gives him some extra time to escape.
- Radiance can deal damage during Rolling Thunder and gives enemies a miss chance.
- Shiva's Guard can be applied to a huge area during Rolling Thunder.
- Eye of Skadi works with Swashbuckle, slowing all enemies hit by it.
- Mjollnir has a good chance to proc twice during Swashbuckle, greatly increasing damage output.
- Battle Fury helps clear out waves of creeps, and procs on all four instances of Swashbuckle.
|Roles:||Carry Nuker Disabler Durable Escape Initiator|
|Playstyle:||Fond of wine, women, and danger, the gallant Donté Panlin goes wherever adventure calls. Dropping into the fight with a Shield Crash, the Pangolier Swashbuckles his way to glory as he fends off attacks with his scaly plates. His rapier's pointed tip finds the weakness in any armor, delivering Heartpiercing blows that strike to the core. Curling up into an impenetrable ball, the rascally rogue's Rolling Thunder plows through the battlefield, slamming foes aside and clearing the path to victory.|
- Pangolier is sometimes labeled in the game files as Armadillo, and other times as Pangolin.
- Pangolier speaks some French phrases, and has a French accent.
- A swashbuckler is an heroic archetype in European adventure literature that is typified by the use of a sword and chivalric ideals.
- Pangolier's character was likely partially inspired by The Three Musketeers' D'Artagnan (for his mannerism, hot-hotheadedness, and French phrases) and Zorro.
- Some of Pangoliers abilities have different names in the game files:
- Rolling Thunder was the name of an American bombing campaign during the Vietnam War.
- Pangolier's response to killing Kunkka Play "What to do with a drunken sailor? Simple. Stab him in the heart." refers to the famous folk song/sea shanty Drunken Sailor (Also known as What Shall We Do with a/the Drunken Sailor?).
- Pangolier's response to meeting Death Prophet as ally Play "Try to look on the bright side of life." is a reference to Eric Idle's famous song Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, featured in the classic Monty Python movie Life of Brian IMDB.
- Pangolier's response to meeting ally Lion Play "Which level of hell is your favorite, Lion? I prefer the second. Or perhaps the seventh." alludes to Dante Alighieri's famous work: Divine Comedy. There are Nine Circles of Hell in Dante's work: the second is Lust, and the seventh is Violence, indicative of Pangolier's personality. Pangolier's name Donté Panlin also bears resemblance to Dante Alighieri.
- Pangolier's rivalry response towards Witch Doctor Play "In my professional opinion? You're dead." is a direct quote from the Medic from Team Fortress 2.