- Outworld Devourer's high mana pool, high intelligence, and low health makes him a prime target for .
- If timed correctly, will return the full damage from Sanity's Eclipse back to Outworld Devourer. Even a reflected Arcane Orb can deal significant damage and make him vulnerable to a follow-up from Nyx Assassin.
- is also the perfect tool against Astral Imprisonment: if used on Nyx, he can reflect the damage back as he comes out of the prison by casting the ability while imprisoned; if used on any other target, Nyx can come and stand close to it and use it to reflect the damage.
- Rubick can use to steal Astral Imprisonment, and if Rubick gets he gets 2 charges of it. This can overpower Outworld Devourer in team fights.
- Silencer's will heavily reduce Outworld Devourer's damage output, particularly from Sanity's Eclipse.
- and will take Outworld Devourer out of the fight unless he has built Black King Bar.
- As Outworld Devourer has short cast ranges, a short attack range, and no gap-closing abilities, Sniper can kite and harass Outworld Devourer in lane with his long range and zone him out in fights. The continuous area damage from also prevents Astral-Blink escapes.
- blocks most of the damage dealt with Arcane Orb and Sanity's Eclipse if used correctly, and is difficult for Outworld Devourer to deal with.
- If Astral Imprisonment is off cooldown, then an Outworld Devourer slowed by is an easy kill for Templar Assassin, especially during the laning stage.
- Any heroes with silences can negate the majority of Outworld Devourer's damage output: , , , .
- 's is useful against Outworld Devourer, as the blind prevents him from landing Arcane Orbs.
- Similarly, heroes with built-in evasion mechanisms, or who naturally build , can become a nuisance to Outworld Devourer as it reduces his ability to deal damage and build charges through Arcane Orb.
- Any heroes with high intelligence, such as and .
- Heroes with built-in spell immunity can become immune to all of Outworld Devourer's spells: 's and 's .
- Instant healing items, such as , , and , can be used inside Astral Imprisonment and the healing will take effect before the damage from the prison, potentially saving the target.
- significantly reduces Sanity's Eclipse's damage.
- makes the user immune to all of Outworld Devourer's spells.
- When using , an 's decreases Outworld Devourer's attack speed, making it hard for him to build charges and deal damage with Arcane Orb.
- doesn't work versus Arcane Orb because it does pure damage.
- Anti-Mage cannot burn all of Outworld Devourer's mana without disables due to Essence Flux.
- Anti-Mage's illusions are quickly destroyed by Arcane Orb.
- However, if the enemy has multiple means of removing mana, becomes a threat to Outworld Devourer, Anti-Mage has better mobility than Outworld Devourer with , and blocks a large portion of the damage from Sanity's Eclipse.
- Huskar's main source of survivability, , puts Huskar in a sticky situation against Outworld Devourer because Arcane Orb does pure damage.
- Outworld Devourer can dodge with Astral Imprisonment, leaving him unharmed while Huskar loses HP.
- Sanity's Eclipse can deal massive damage to Huskar before he builds up his stacks due to Huskar's low mana pool.
- Outworld Devourer can save an ally hero caught by with Astral Imprisonment, and he can inflict heavy damage on Legion Commander with Arcane Orb to aid his ally. However, if he gets caught, he is unlikely to survive the duel, due to his lack of durability.
- Outworld Devourer's pure damage from Arcane Orb can go through . He can also build charges from the embraced enemy using the same spell.
- Outworld Devourer can negate the healing from using Astral Imprisonment.
- Outworld Devourer's damage during is reduced due to Arcane Orb being unable to target allies.
- Arcane Orb deals high damage regardless of Morphling's high armor from .
- Because of Morphling's very low intelligence gain and base intelligence, Sanity's Eclipse will almost always be effective against Morphling.
- Arcane Orb's pure damage ignores Timbersaw's .
- Astral Imprisonment, if timed correctly, can interrupt , preventing him from escaping.
- Sanity's Eclipse does massive damage to Wraith King who naturally has a low mana pool and typically doesn't build items to increase it.
- 's slow projectile speed makes it easy to avoid using Astral Imprisonment.
- Any heroes with low mana pools will die quickly or even instantly to Sanity's Eclipse: , , .
- Tanky melee heroes that can easily be kited, which allows Outworld Devourer to build charges with Arcane Orb from a distance: , , .
- Illusion based heroes (like and ) can't use their illusion beneficially against Sanity's Eclipse's high AoE burst damage.
- Heroes that must kill others in a short duration of time or need to combo their abilities suffer heavily against Outworld Devourer, as a simple Astral Imprisonment can instantly throw off key abilities like Void's Chronosphere, Ursa's Enrage or Kunkka's X-Torrent combo.
- Heroes that rely heavily on armor like Dragon Knight or magic resistance like Visage can usually be dismantled by Outworld Devourer as Arcane Orb is a pure damage source.
Works well with...
- greatly increases Outworld Devourer's damage output and allows him to build charges more quickly.
- and can pin down an enemy for Outworld Devourer to attack.
- Silencer's passive and active will increase the mana pool difference between Outworld Devourer and his enemies, making them take more damage from Sanity's Eclipse.
- will prevent enemies from disabling Outworld Devourer, allowing him to land easy attacks.
- During , Outworld Devourer is able to build charges through Arcane Orb.
- provides Outworld Devourer with bonus intelligence, amplifying the damage dealt with Arcane Orb and Sanity's Eclipse, as well as bonus attack range.
- Heroes that benefit from Astral Imprisonment's setup: , , , .
- users enjoy protection of Astral Imprisonment from enemy damage, letting them escape when the duration ends.