Nyx Assassin is a melee agility hero who is feared as one of the most effective gankers and solo-killers in the game. With his powerful burst damage nukes, Nyx Assassin specializes in disabling and killing lone and fragile enemies with little to no warning. He possesses an area nuke and stun ability in Impale, allowing him to disable enemies in a straight line in front of him while dealing damage. His Mana Burn ability can destroy a significant fraction of a target hero's mana pool while dealing the same amount as damage, making him the bane of weak intelligence heroes with lots of mana but very little health. Should the enemy attempt to attack him, Nyx Assassin can dissuade them with Spiked Carapace, stunning any heroes that attack him while reflecting their damage back at them. His ultimate, Vendetta, turns Nyx invisible, allowing him to deal tremendous physical damage to the next target that he strikes out of invisibility. Stalking from the shadows, Nyx Assassin can strike without warning and lay low his foes before they realize that their death is upon them.
- The spikes travel at a speed of 1600.
- Hit units are knocked up 350 range for the initial 0.5 seconds of the stun.
- While in the air, other units may pass below hit airborne units.
- The damage is applied upon landing, not upon getting hit.
- While ed, the cast range and travel distance increase to 1225, and the cooldown decreases to 7 seconds.
- When Impale hits invisible units, the visual effects below the hit unit are still visible.
- Applies the damage first, and then the mana loss.
- Effectively burns 29%/33%/38%/42% of the target's maximum mana pool if it has no flat mana bonus.
- Despite dealing the damage first, the damage is based on how much mana the target actually lost from Mana Burn.
- This means, when cast on an enemy who has for example 5 mana left, it also deals only 5 damage (before reductions).
- Can be cast on creep-heroes, but has no effect on them, since they have no intelligence, wasting mana and cooldown.
- While ed, the cast range increases to 1050.
- Spiked Carapace interrupts Nyx Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Can be cast during invisibility. Breaks the invisibility of other sources. , without breaking the
- Only reflects player based damage directly towards the damage dealer. A unit can only be affected once per buff.
- The buff from multiple casts of Spiked Carapace does not stack but gets refreshed instead.
- Reflects the same damage type as received.
- Reflects incoming damage before all manipulations. However, damage manipulation on the enemy still affects the damage normally.
- Reflected physical damage is affected by damage block as well.
- Reflected damage has the no-reflection flag, preventing its damage from interacting with other sources of damage with the same flag.
- Fully ignores self-inflicted damage, and damage flagged as HP Removal.
- Spiked Carapace first applies the debuff, then the reflected damage.
- Spiked Carapace fully negates and reflects after all reductions, causing several on-damage effects to not trigger.
- Has a higher priority than , but lower than . It will still reflect and stun when combined with False Promise.
- Although the damage dealt to enemies is equal to the amount of damage blocked, the effects work independently from each other.
- This means Spiked Carapace always blocks one damage instance, even when the source is spell immune or invulnerable.
- When cast while
ed, the spell immediately applies its stun to all enemies within a radius.
- Since Spiked Carapace has no base damage, hit units are not damaged upon cast.
- Nyx Assassin still receives the cast buff normally, which can still reflect damage and stun enemies.
- However, the buff does not affect enemy units which have been hit by the stun upon cast. They can normally damage Nyx.
- Vendetta does not interrupt Nyx Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- The attack out of Vendetta cannot miss.
- The bonus damage is dealt in a separate damage instance, and counts as spell damage.
- The attack out of Vendetta first applies the Vendetta damage, then the debuff, then the attack damage.
- The invisibility is broken upon reaching the cast point of spells or items, or upon landing an attack.
- Vendetta allows Nyx to pass through other units, including wards, but not through buildings.
- Nyx can pick up, drop or attack items and runes without breaking the invisibility.
- The level 25 talent allows Nyx Assassin to path freely through cliffs and trees, on top of the phased movement.
- Requires to be unlocked.
- Turns Nyx Assassin invisible and disarms as well as roots him, preventing him from moving, attacking and using .
- Burrow lasts until unburrowing or using .
- Nyx Assassin can still be moved by spells while burrowed, without getting unburrowed.
- While burrowed, Impale and Mana Mana Burn can be cast without having to face the targeted point or unit, but other targeted spells and items still require facing.
- Losing Aghanim's Scepter instantly unburrows Nyx.
- Replaces until used or death.
- Interrupts Nyx Assassin's channeling spells upon cast.
- Instantly reverts all bonuses provided by Burrow.
- Uses a different sound when unburrowing inside the river.
|Unobstructed Pathing||25||+100 Agility|
|+25 Movement Speed||15||+325 Health|
|+0.3Stun Duration||10||+8% Spell Amplification|
- Changed bonus damage damage type from physical to pure.
- Reduced damage from 250/400/550 to 250/375/500.
- Level 10 left talent: Replaced +90 Gold/Min with +0.3s Stun Duration.
- Increased movement speed from 305 to 315.
- gives Nyx Assassin basic health sustain, allowing him to continue laning despite enemy harass.
- allows Nyx Assassin to replenish his mana pool in-lane, crucial since most of his spells will consume almost half his base mana pool with a single cast. Having the mana to continue casting gives Nyx Assassin more chances to use his disables to score kills.
- gives some attributes that increase health, mana, and damage.
- is a strong laning item, as it provides a small boost to HP regeneration, augmenting his innate base HP regen to greatly increase his survivability in the off-lane. It can also be consumed for instant mana replenishment to be able to cast one more disable or nuke to secure a kill.
- can be useful to purchase on Nyx Assassin, as he is a very heavy roamer who can place wards before or after ganks to spot out enemy movement to strike again.
- allows Nyx Assassin to chase or flee enemies more easily, and is important for getting within range to cast Impale on a gank target.
- is important to get early on Nyx Assassin, as he can easily get charges from successful ganks. It provides some cheap stats and armor, as well as mana regen for sustaining his mana pool. The charges can be used to restore any HP lost during a gank, or can be used to add more damage to a future gank to increase the odds of success.
- gives burst health and mana, useful for Nyx Assassin to cast spells continually.
- are crucial to obtain in order to allow Nyx Assassin to roam for ganks. It increases the size of Nyx Assassin's mana pool, allowing him to more easily cast his full combo of spells, and boosts his movement speed slightly to provide extra mobility. Most importantly, the active allows Nyx Assassin to replenish his own mana pool in order to ensure that he is able to continue roaming without needing to return to base as often.
- gives more burst health and mana than Magic Stick, as well as some attributes.
- greatly increases Nyx Assassin's mobility, allowing him to jump on top of enemies and initiate without relying on Vendetta. In particular, being able to quickly re-position to cast Impale can allow Nyx Assassin to stun multiple enemy heroes at the start of a fight, and in a pinch Spiked Carapace can be used to prevent enemy initiating nukes from putting it on cooldown.
- is a handy utility item that grants Nyx Assassin many strong bonuses. It provides more intelligence for increasing the size of his mana pool, as well as health regeneration for sustaining his health pool. The active greatly improves Nyx Assassin's mobility, allowing him to re-position for casting his spells, or chasing and escaping more easily. In a pinch, it can also be used as a cheap way to break an enemy Linken's Sphere prior to landing other disables and nukes, and can even be used to re-position Nyx Assassin during Burrow.
- is a strong casting item that boosts Nyx Assassin's ability to roam and gank. The increased intelligence and mana regen help to sustain his spell casting, ensuring that he doesn't have to return to base to replenish mana, and the increased movement speed gives him more mobility for hunting down enemies. The cyclone can be used to dispel debuffs from Nyx Assassin while providing temporary invulnerability, or can be cast on an enemy as a further disable.
- unlocks Burrow, which can give Nyx Assassin a strong tactical advantage against certain enemies. It also improves his overall attributes, aiding in his survivability and buffing up his mana pool.
- can deal moderate damage to enemy buildings. It also grants another stun to follow Impale, though the combo still leaves a small window inbetween for enemies to counter with spell immunity for instance.
- will increase Impale and Mana Burn's cast range, which is good to offset their terrible cast animation. It can be built by recycling the you got from .
- greatly boosts Nyx Assassin's burst damage, giving him much more kill potential. The item boosts his intelligence, allowing him to more easily cast his spells, while the active can be added on top of Impale and Mana Burn to deal tremendous burst damage to a single target to secure a kill.
- is a strong nuke booster that improves Nyx Assassin's ability to burst down enemies. As his primary attribute is agility, the bonus agility will increase the damage that Ether Blast deals, which will also greatly slow its target's movement speed while weakening their magic resistance, leaving them wide open for Impale, Mana Burn and Dagon.
- is a very strong self-sustain item that allows Nyx Assassin to replenish his HP and mana, increasing his autonomy. As he constantly roams, Nyx is able to easily pick up runes to refill his Bottle, and utilize the runes during ganks as needed.
- gives Nyx Assassin an instant ranged hard disable, useful in many situations. Also, it gives him stats across the board, particularly improving his intelligence for more mana and providing powerful scaling mana regeneration to allow him to roam independently.
- allows Nyx Assassin to further use the enemy's spells against them on top of Spiked Carapace. Echo Shell gives Nyx Assassin a tool to reflect enemy spells, and even though it doesn't block the damage done by these spells it can reflect debuffs and stuns rather than just the damage. It also provides armor, increasing Nyx Assassin's survivability, and HP and mana regen for self-sustain.
- provides Nyx Assassin with a soft disable that can greatly improve his ability to gank and kill enemies. By silencing an enemy during a gank, Nyx Assassin can prevent them from casting retaliatory disables to get away; as well, his high burst damage can take advantage of the burn damage at the end of the silence to increase the odds of getting a kill during a gank. The item also provides increased intelligence and mana regen, further improving Nyx Assassin's ability to roam independently.
- is a useful stat booster that is easy to build. It gives Nyx Assassin all-around attributes, improving his HP, attack damage and mana. The active can be very useful, as it boosts Nyx Assassin's movement speed, allowing him to chase down enemies quickly.
- greatly improves Nyx Assassin's survivability, and allows him to engage and gank enemies through single-target disables. The Spellblock allows Nyx Assassin to ignore any targeted disables that enemies may try to hit him with, allowing him to continue pursuit and kill the enemy.
|Roles:||Disabler Nuker Initiator Escape|
|Playstyle:||Within the colony of zealot scarabs, the queen goddess Nyx selected a single grub to answer her highest calling. And so, through designed metamorphosis, the Nyx Assassin came into being. The telepathic scarab devours his prey's minds through Mana Burn, while sending out rows of subterranean spikes to Impale them from below. Armored with a Spiked Carapace, he stuns attackers and reflects damage back to their source. But the goddess' servant is deadliest when unseen. A distracted target has no chance to react as the Nyx Assassin pierces its body with massive mandibles, thereby fulfilling an unspoken Vendetta in the name of his queen.|
- Nyx Assassin's original name was Anub'arak, and he was titled "Nerubian Assassin". Both were changed in the transition to Dota 2 due to copyright reasons.
- Anub'arak is a character of Blizzard's franchise "Warcraft", who first appeared in the campaign of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. He was the king of the Nerubians, a race of malevolent arachnids who were slain and raised as undead.
- Nyx Assassin's fun name in DotA was Anoob'arak.