Unlike most other heroes in the game, Night Stalker's strength greatly fluctuates depending on the time of day. He is relatively innocuous during the day, with one of his abilities being completely disabled then while two others are heavily weakened in potency, but he quickly becomes a force to be reckoned with once the moon rises. He has a mini-stun and slow in Void, which allows him to hound and nuke down lone enemies who are unfortunate enough to encounter him; the slow effect is considerably more debilitating at night. He also has the ability to silence and blind his foes with Crippling Fear, which drastically increases in duration at night, preventing spellcasters and even carries from retaliating against him while he lashes at them with relative impunity. His passive, Hunter In the Night, greatly boosts his movement speed and attack speed at night, allowing him to easily move around the map, to pursue and tear apart his prey. Finally, his ultimate, Darkness, summons instant nighttime and hampers enemy night vision, making even the strongest enemy heroes sitting ducks for the Night Stalker and his allies. A terror in darkness, Night Stalker is the embodiment of heroes' nightmares, and one of the last things they will ever wish to encounter alone at night.
- Both the passive and the active part also work during the night from Eclipse.
- Hunter in the Night turns into an active ability during nighttime, so it can only be cast during the night.
- Hunter in the Night interrupts Night Stalker's channeling spells upon cast.
- Temporarily grants Night Stalker flying movement and flying vision, allowing him to fly over and see past cliffs and trees. However, his vision is reduced to 1000.
- During the active, Night Stalker can neither trigger nor take damage from Proximity Mines.
- Hunter in the Night does not end prematurely when it becomes day while it is active.
- Destroys trees within 200 radius around Night Stalker upon landing.
- The vision limitation only occurs during Darkness nights. Regular nights and the night from Eclipse do not limit vision when Night Stalker is in the game.
- The vision limitation affects every non-neutral enemy unit, including buildings and wards, except Fountains.
- However, it does not reduce the vision of spells.
- The vision limitation is applied after all vision bonuses, except for Moon Shard.
- Reduces vision after Desolate does, but whichever results in lower vision takes priority.
- The vision limitation is provided by a global aura and thus the debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds after Darkness' night ends.
- The unobstructed vision from the Aghanim's Scepter upgrade is not bound to any of Night Stalker's spells
- It is also not bound to Darkness nights, and is active during any night.
|-8s Crippling Fear Cooldown||25||+140 Hunter in the Night Attack Speed|
|+50 Damage||20||+50 Movement Speed|
|+150 Cast Range||15||+15 Strength|
|+200 Mana||10||+200 Health|
- The mana talent increases maximum mana capacity, and keeps the current mana percentage.
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- The strength talent effectively grants Night Stalker 300 health, 10.71% health regen amplification, 2.25% status resistance and 15 attack damage.
- Tango gives health regeneration to stay alive.
- Healing Salve restores health in the early game.
- Enchanted Mango restores mana so Night Stalker may use one more Void in the early game to secure kill, or builds into Magic Wand.
- Clarity allows Night Stalker with low base intelligence to maintain his early mana pool so he can use Void to harass and gank.
- Stout Shield provides damage block that can greatly increase survivability in lane, and can upgrade into Vanguard later.
- Orb of Venom adds movement speed slow to attacks. Together with Void's 50% movement speed slow, it greatly reduces the target's chances of escaping.
- Magic Stick stores charges that restore HP and mana for Night Stalker to stay alive and use abilities during ganks.
- Boots of Speed, combined with Hunter in the Night, increase Night Stalker base movement speed, granting him unparalleled mobility at night.
- Urn of Shadows fits the active Night Stalker, giving him charges that heal or hurt heroes. It also increases mana regeneration and armor so Night Stalker can stay alive to contribute to ganks.
- Town Portal Scroll allows Night Stalker to move around the map, looking for gank opportunities.
- Observer Ward grants vision so Night Stalker can set up ganks; his high mobility at night makes placing wards deep inside enemy territory easy.
- Magic Wand provides attributes and restores HP and mana to Night Stalker.
- Phase Boots grant Night Stalker extra movement speed and damage, synergizing well with Hunter in the Night's attack speed and movement speed boost.
- Spirit Vessel gives useful health and movement speed, as well as ability to counter enemy healing and health regeneration which may make ganking easier.
- Aghanim's Scepter removes terrain restrictions on Night Stalker's night vision, allowing him to take full advantage of his mobility and giving him a critical edge in map control, particularly when Darkness is active. It also gives him more health to build tankiness, and more mana to use abilities.
- Lotus Orb gives Night Stalker a blend of self-sustain and survivability through the health and mana regeneration as well as the additional armor. The active applies dispel and may discourage enemies from using targeted abilities on him or allies, prolonging their lives during team fights or preventing gank targets from easily using disables to escape.
- Assault Cuirass gives Night Stalker both offensive and defensive power. The extra armor makes him much tankier, synergizing well with his high strength growth, and the attack speed bonus combines with the enemy armor reduction to greatly improve Night Stalker's and teammates' physical damage output.
- Smoke of Deceit helps Night Stalker get crucial kills by masking his and allies' presence from enemy wards.
- Gem of True Sight reveals invisible enemies and wards. Combined with Aghanim's Scepter's unobstructed vision during nighttime, Night Stalker commands great vision over the map.
- Blade Mail's Damage Return can keep Night Stalker alive as enemies may choose not to deal any damage to him, lest losing HP themselves.
- Solar Crest gives Night Stalker armor and evasion, hardening his resistance against physical attacks, as well as mana regeneration to sustain his mana pool. The active decreases a gank target's armor and induces a miss chance that stacks alongside Crippling Fear, reducing their ability to fight back and increasing the damage they take from allies' attacks.
- Heaven's Halberd's disarm works well with Crippling Fear's silence to completely prevent an enemy from fighting back. It also provides a chance to proc Lesser Maim on an enemy, further slowing their attack and movement speed on top of Void.
- Black King Bar makes Night Stalker immune to most disables in team fights so he can focus on using abilities and attacking the enemies without interruption; it also gives him more health and attack damage.
- Sange and Yasha provides many useful benefits, as it increases Night Stalker's attack speed, damage, health, and movement speed. In particular, the constant 16% movement speed bonus means that he can move at a constant 520 movement speed when combined with Hunter in the Night, greatly increasing his mobility.
- Silver Edge gives Night Stalker bonuses to attributes, attack speed, and attack damage. Shadow Walk, combined with Hunter in the Night, allows him to gank while moving at maximum speed, inflicting bonus damage and break to ruin enemy powerful passive abilities.
- Abyssal Blade helps Night Stalker locking down targets with stun and bash; its damage block and bonus health also add to his tankiness.
- Heart of Tarrasque greatly increases the size of Night Stalker's health pool, making him much harder to bring down in fights. The extra strength gives him more base damage as well, and the passive health regeneration makes staying active on the map easy.
- Octarine Core lowers cooldowns of Night Stalker's already spammable abilities and items. More importantly, it reduces Darkness's cooldown to only 60 seconds with a 40 second duration, effectively keep up near-permanent nighttime, which, in conjunction with Aghanim's Scepter upgrade and Gem of True Sight, means enemies will have next to no hope of obtaining map control ever again.
|Roles:||Carry Initiator Durable Disabler Nuker|
|Playstyle:||The beast of bedtime tales, Balanar is the primal terror that every child knows to fear. When night falls, Balanar goes on the hunt, moving and striking with devilish swiftness. He inflicts a debilitating Void, slowing and forcing his quarry to flee, arms withering and spells fizzling as their hearts are stricken with Crippling Fear. Even the lighted hours provide no safety from the Night Stalker. When needed, Balanar turns day to Darkness, spreads his wings under the blackened veil of night, and goes on the prowl for ever more victims.|
- Many of Night Stalker's responses that refer to his vampiric qualities make reference to Bram Stoker's Dracula, a film adaptation of the classic novel starring Gary Oldman.
- Night stalker's line Play "If I ever get my claws on that bird." is likely a reference to the rooster that crows when the game transitions from nighttime to daytime.
- Night Stalker's deep and raspy voice is a possible reference to Batman.
- In an earlier version DotA, there existed a hero similar to Night Stalker called Void Demon. His first ability "Time Void" had similar effects to the present Void ability, except it also stunned the target for 5 seconds. Void Demon also had an ability similar to Omniknight's Degen Aura, though it had a larger radius of 600 units. His third ability was a pushing spell called "Quake" which was useful for destroying towers. Finally, his ultimate was called "Mass Haste". This aura gave Void Demon and nearby allies benefits similar to Night Stalker's Hunter in the Night, except that it had no conditions and enabled Void Demon and his team to hunt Heroes relentlessly both day and night. Ultimately, Void Demon was replaced with Night Stalker as his skill set was deemed too powerful.
- Night Stalker's response "In the forest of the night" is a reference to the poem The Tyger by William Blake.
- You can hear the line "Sinless Demon" when you activate Night Stalker's Play Darkness.
Low Violence model