- completely nullifies any healing, making Necrophos unable to stay in a teamfight to sustain his teammates (and himself) or deal gradual damage to the enemy, else he be faced with a quick death if focused on.
- The huge physical damage taken from will force Necrophos to use Ghost Shroud, which is good for a followup with and , both of which are common items on Nyx Assassin.
- Using Ghost Shroud also sets Necrophos up for a or .
- Dazzle's is a spammable healing ability that spreads around his entire team, slowing the death of his teammates as effectively as Necrophos spreads damage to them.
- If not immediately, delays his ally from gradually dying to Necrophos' abilities, especially Reaper's Scythe.
- Lina's abilities, especially , deal high damage, which will be amplified heavily if Ghost Shroud is used.
- Lion doesn't really need to worry about Ghost Shroud, as he isn't a physical attacker.
- depletes Nercophos' mana pool, preventing him from using his abilities.
- deals high magical damage, which becomes amplified by Ghost Shroud.
- Necrophos struggles at clearing away durable illusions or summons. Meepo can overwhelm Necrophos with his many duplicates, especially in the later stages of the game, and his will prevent Necrophos from getting away, even if he casts Ghost Shroud.
- Meepo's high burst damage from and can make it difficult for to Necrophos to stay alive, and as Necrophos excels in extended fights, he will not be able to do as much damage as he intends to.
- During the laning stage, Oracle's nullifies any damage that Heartstopper Aura might inflict.
- and can protect an ally from Reaper's Scythe.
- Oracle can dispel Ghost Shroud with .
- is a core item on Phantom Lancer. Should it be purchased, combined with his numerous illusions, it allows him to rapidly deplete Necrophos' mana, rendering Necrophos incapable of casting anything.
- It can be difficult to single out the true Phantom Lancer among his army, giving Necrophos a hard time with aiming his ultimate.
- Even if his illusions are defeated, Phantom Lancer is capable of creating more at his disposal with almost no issues.
- If Rubick steals Reaper's Scythe, he can turn the powerful ultimate back against Necrophos' team. Even his other spells are useful in Rubick's hands, giving him a sustain or a weak initiation/protection tool.
- can save an ally from a fatal Reaper's Scythe.
- can remove Ghost Shroud, making Necrophos vulnerable to physical damage and preventing him from regenerating health.
- Heroes who possess abilities that can save targets from being killed by Reaper's Scythe: , , , , , etc.
- Any disable, silence or mana burn is a good way to nullify Necrophos, as he is slow and has little offensive presence or self defense without his spells.
- Illusions make it difficult for Necrophos to target his Reaper's Scythe correctly, thus giving illusion heroes like or an edge against Necrophos.
- Enemies that possess high defenses through magic resistance, damage reduction, or high regeneration will make it difficult to whittle their health down to get to Reaper's Scythe's threshold. Such heroes include (although only from behind), , , and .
- prevents Necrophos from getting too much health from his abilities.
- provides magic resistance that can easily reduce Reaper's Scythe's damage, and the 1.5 second delay makes it easy to cast Glimmer on an ally that is about to be Scythed.
- reflects Reaper's Scythe back to Necrophos. Most of the time his ultimate will not kill him back as he'd be casting it mostly at full health, but it does mean Necrophos will be stunned through spell immunity for 1.5 seconds, preventing him from possibly following up his ultimate with more of his own damage.
- makes it impossible to cast Reaper's Scythe on a target if there are no other abilities that can waste it.
- ignores the damage from most of Necrophos' abilities, especially that of his ultimate.
- and prevents Necrophos from spamming Death Pulse, preventing him from healing back and/or retaliating, and Ghost Shroud to defend himself.
- is a stronger counter than the above mentioned items, preventing not only his abilities from being cast, but also his items that could either heal him further, dispel the debuffs, or help him escape.
- disables Heartstopper Aura, which reduces his presence in fights. Already existing stacks of Hearstopper Aura still provide bonus health and mana regeneration.
- deals to Necrophos massive damage when he using Ghost Shroud and with he get mostly killed in seconds.
- Frequent healing from Death Pulse makes it difficult for Axe to finish off targets with .
- Reaper's Scythe negates Axe's tankiness, and can kill him quickly after initiation.
- Heartstopper Aura is effective due to Axe's high strength gain.
- Heartstopper Aura deals percentage-based damage flagged as HP Removal, so it is not reduced by .
- Reaper's Scythe is very effective against Bristleback not only due to its percentage-based damage, but rather because it first stuns and then deals its damage, allowing Necrophos to position in front of Bristleback in time.
- Huskar is often at low health, making him easy prey for Reaper's Scythe.
- Ghost Shroud prevents Huskar from stacking , and if Heartstopper Aura stacks are active, can regenerate health lost to existing stacks.
- Phoenix constantly depletes its own health due to the health costs of its abilities. Unlike heroes that have a similar mechanic, Phoenix does not benefit from low health, nor does it really have a countermeasure for it. As such, Phoenix is a very vulnerable target for Necrophos to prey on, especially when caught off guard before it can cast .
- No matter how high Pudge builds up strength with his , all it needs is for him to fall below a certain percentage of health for him to fall to Reaper's Scythe. Considering his constant self-damage with , being around Heartstopper Aura will prove risky for an overconfident Pudge.
- His Heartstopper Aura deals the same gradual damage over time no matter how high Sven builds his strength or health pool up, and should he fall down to a certain percentage, his high health will no longer matter if Necrophos manages to land his Reaper's Scythe, killing him instantly. But it is best if Necrophos can either catch him off guard before he can possibly use his (which is an item Sven players commonly purchase), or bait him out of it.
- Ghost Shroud prevents Sven from hitting Necrophos, and if he doesn't have his available, it could make him completely immune to Sven and allow Necrophos to easily avoid his presence.
- No matter how Tidehunter builds tanky items such as ( , or ), all it needs is for him to fall below a certain percentage of health for him to fall to Reaper's Scythe.
- Carries are a prime target for his ultimate, as if timed properly, they will be killed before they can even have a noticeable effect in a teamfight, and be forced to stay out of the game longer due to the extended respawn time. Such heroes must be careful when engaging a team with Necrophos, as if they are too careless or lack proper protection, their reckless plays can be quickly and severely punished.
- Heroes that commonly purchase will be unable to use it effectively under the effects of a maxed out Heartstopper Aura.
- Heroes that have high health but little to no magic resistance are easy prey for Necrophos, as no matter how high they build their health up, Reaper's Scythe will kill them outright as long as they fall under a certain threshold, and Heartstopper Aura will deal the same amount of damage regardless, decaying their health the longer they stay within range. As such, Strength heroes like , or are good targets for his ultimate.
- Heroes that have escape abilities (such as , or ) can be either nullified by Reaper's Scythe or a complimentary item for Necrophos (like or ). If Necrophos is quick enough and enters range, they can quickly, if not instantly, die if they are not quick enough.
- Heroes that have small health pools and little to no escape mechanisms are even easier prey for Necrophos. Ghost Shroud's slow will allow him to catch him with them, and get nuked down with his abilities, even preventing retaliation due to Reaper's Scythe's stun. Such heroes include , , or .
Works well with...
- The sustain and strong dispel from Abaddon helps keep Necrophos alive longer in fights, allowing a huge damage swing from healing, damage, and massive health removal from Heartstopper Aura.
- Axe's initiation allows him to both catch and severely damage multiple enemies at once. 's pure damage quickly removes a chunk of health from nearby enemies, making Necrophos' presence more potent.
- Both of their ultimates are instant kills when fallen below a certain threshold of health. If the enemy team is not careful, they could be very easily wiped from the field without retaliation.
- can be very devastating for the enemy team if two heroes get killed by Reaper's Scythe.
- Earthshaker's initiation allows him to both catch and severely damage multiple enemies at once, from removes a chunk of health from nearby enemies, making Necrophos' presence more potent.
- A will be very swiftly ended by Necrophos' nukes. If it ends during Reaper's Scythe, the Dueled enemy will also face an extended respawn time, making these two a formidable pair in a teamfight.
- increases the damage Reaper's Scythe does, allowing Necrophos to kill enemies even quicker.
- His great teamfight abilities like and help damage multiple units all at once, making Necrophos' presence even deadlier.
- Any hero with great nuking power will work well with Necrophos. Such heroes include , , , and .
- Heroes with high damage in a large area of effect will help make Necrophos a deadly foe for the enemy team, as they would all be more vulnerable to his Heartstopper Aura or be possible targets for his ultimate. Heroes like , , , even wielders like or will aid him greatly in a teamfight.