|Said to be a tear from the lunar goddess Selemene.|
- Moon Shards do not stack in the inventory. Each bought instance requires its own slot.
- The attack speed from multiple instances fully stacks.
- Double clicking the item casts it on self.
- A hero cannot consume more than one Moon Shard.
- Once consumed the item remains factored into the hero's net worth and .
- Can target creep-heroes. as well, but not other
- Cannot target illusions, or .
- Illusions and Tempest Doubles copy the Moon Shard buff, if the main hero has it.
- However, the buff is not copied by or clones.
- Applies its vision before reduces it.
- Does not stack with the vision bonus of Shade Sight.
Night Vision Bonus: 400
- Applies its vision after reduces it.
- Night vision bonuses from multiple shards do not stack.
- Does not stack with the vision bonus of the buff from a consumed Moon Shard, but has precedence over it.
- Moon Shard is generally purchased as a late game luxury item for carries that benefit from higher attack speed and night vision without taking an inventory slot.
- The item works very well with illusions especially with mana burn, critical hits and low base attack time.
- In games where a player finds themselves with more gold than they can spend, due to having all 6 item slots filled out, it may be worth considering purchasing a Moon Shard to consume immediately.
- It may be prudent for players to purchase the Moon Shard as their sixth item, to fill in an inventory slot and gain its full benefits while they farm a seventh item to replace Moon Shard, which only provides half the attack speed and night vision after consumption.
- In very extreme late-game scenarios, heroes that have nothing better to do with their gold should consider buying moonshards to give to their teammates.
- Prior to the July 14, 2017 Patch, Moon Shard's active ability, Consume, did not have an official name. The name was taken from the Dota 2 Wiki and officially implemented into Dota 2.
Main Article: Moon Shard/Changelogs