Audio migration in progress. Some responses pages / audio files may have broken file links.
Seasonal Rankings represent the level of skill a player achieves in a single season, as determined by their matchmaking rating (MMR) and other hidden factors. It is only available for ranked matches. Medals are reset at the end of each season. The previous season's medal is displayed next to the new medal for the next season.
Calculation (Read this first!)
- The exact calculation for earning medals is kept secret by Valve and may change over time.
- This page reflects rough estimates based on community observations.
- MMR will not always match their estimated medal. It is normal to be off by a few hundred points from the estimates below.
- MMR is not the only factor in determining medal rank.
- Some players may have medals far above their MMR because:
- The player may have multiple Steam accounts.
- The system remembers player performance based on peak skill level, not current skill level. This is a common mechanism in competitive games to combat smurfs and intentional derankers.
- MMR estimates are highly speculative. Please add your input on our talk page.
- Last revised on October 11, 2019.
- Players who make it onto the regional Leaderboards will earn Immortal medals, with their rank displayed beneath the medal.
- All Immortal medals have a sparkling particle effect in-game.
The following emoticons are unlocked at each ranked tier.
- Each medal design is inspired by different items:
- Changed rankings from 1–7 stars to 1–5 stars.
- Rebalanced rank distributions.
- Reduced shift in medal values over the season.
- Medals can now fall below a player's highest water mark if their rank drops below one star rank from their current medal.
- Season two ends.
- Season three starts.
- Changed rankings from 1–5 stars to 1–7 stars.
- Added unlockable emoticons to each tier.
- Season one ends.
- Season two starts.
- Added new medals for leaderboards.
- Changed rankings from 0–5 stars to 1–5 stars.
- Player activity feed now displays when a medal is earned.
- Ancient ranks can now be earned through party matchmaking.
- Updated icons.
- Added top rankings icons.
- Feature added.