Mars the First Son of Heaven is an aggressive melee strength hero who controls the battlefield with numerous knockbacks and impassable terrain. Equipped with a large shield, his Bulwark passively blocks attacks from the front and sides, making him a very durable fighter in most situations. The same shield allows him to smash enemies and knock them back, dealing critical damage that ignores all evasion. The Spear of Mars can be thrown at long range, piercing enemies to push them back, and stunning them upon contact with trees or terrain. Mars' most potent ability creates an Arena Of Blood, a circular zone where no enemy can exit or enter, as well as blocking enemy attacks from the outside. Used correctly, the Arena Of Blood can decisively split and cut off enemies from support during teamfights, making Mars a valuable asset to his team, as well as a highly dangerous opponent.
- The spear travels at a speed of 1400.
- The spear starts traveling exactly on Mars' location, and travels forward up to 900/1000/1100/1200 range.
- Although within the spear's search radius, it does not hit enemies behind Mars upon cast.
- Can hit units up to 1025/1125/1225/1325 range away (travel distance + radius).
- The first hero the spear strikes gets damaged and dragged along with the spear. The hero is stunned during the drag.
- When not hitting a building, tree, or cliff, the enemy is dragged so that they are 900/1000/1100/1200 range away from the original cast location.
- When hitting a building, tree, or cliff, the hero is moved closely to the pinned object and stunned.
- Buildings include every building, enemy and allied ones alike, but excludes the shops.
- Trees include the trees from , and , although Iron Branch trees may be hard to hit due to their tiny collision size.
- Cliffs include all natural cliffs onto elevated areas, as well as , , , and .
- A spear may only drag one hero along with it. If that hero dies or gets freed from the spear, it still cannot impale a new hero.
- Provides true sight over the impaled enemy. No true sight is applied while dragging the enemy along with the spear.
- Upon losing the impale stun debuff, trees within a 100 radius around the hero get destroyed.
- Hit non-hero units (including creep-heroes), as well as secondary heroes are damaged and knocked back instead.
- The knockback direction is based on the angle between the hit unit and the spear.
- The knockback does not disable units. They can still turn, attack and use items. Channeling abilities or items are not interrupted by it.
- The knockback destroys every tree the units collide with.
- The spear provides 500 radius flying vision as it travels.
- When not impaling a hero to an object, the vision lingers at the final location for 1 second.
- When impaling a hero to an object, the vision lingers based on the default stun duration.
- God's Rebuke's effects are instantly applied within its whole area. There is no travel time.
- The area is shaped like a circular sector, with a radius of 500 and an angle of 140°.
- Causes Mars to perform an instant attack on all hit enemies.
- These attacks have True Strike, and can therefore never miss. They also ignore disarms.
- Can proc any attack modifier on all of the hit targets normally, with cleave being the only exception.
- Since God's Rebuke has an ensured critical strike, crits with a lower value have no effect if they proc (higher crit value takes priority).
- If not killed, hit enemies are knocked back. The direction is based on the angle between the hit unit and the caster.
- Reduces damage from attacks only (after other reductions), regardless of damage type.
- This means it does reduce magical and pure attack damage as well, but does not affect physical spell damage.
- Although not being attacks, Bulwark does work against , bounces, and bounces.
- On the other side, it does not work against , despite it using regular attacks.
- When taking front damage, Mars' effective health increases by 33%/67%/122%/233%.
- When taking side damage, Mars' effective health increases by 14%/25%/37%/54%.
- Checks the damage source's current position and compares it to Mars' facing angle on each damage instance.
- Plays a visual effect and a sound whenever damage is blocked. The default hit sound does not play.
- When blocking hero damage from the front, a bigger visual effect and the default sound are played.
- When blocking hero damage from the sides, or creep damage from the front, a smaller visual effect and the small sound are played.
- When blocking creep damage from the sides, no effect and sound are played.
- The effect delay is not included in the field's duration. The actual duration starts right after the delay.
- Inside the arena, any non-flying enemy coming within 160 range of the wall gets damaged.
- If not killed by the damage, the enemy is knocked back towards the arena center.
- Units are not disabled during the knockback. They can still turn, attack, cast spells and use items. Channeling spells are not interrupted.
- Does not push heroes affected by the impale stun of .
- The knockback destroys every tree the units collide with.
- A unit may only be damaged and knocked back once every 1 seconds.
- Stops non-flying enemies by slowing them with a slow aura. The aura has a radius of 750 and is centered on the field.
- The slow gets exponentially stronger towards the walls, which has a 550 radius.
- This effectively causes enemy units touching the walls to come to halt.
- The slow is only present when facing towards the walls. Units at the walls facing away from it are not slowed.
- The aura's effect lingers for 0.5 seconds, resulting in an effective duration of 5.5/6.5/7.5 seconds.
- Since the slow is fluctuating a lot, it is not displayed in the HUD.
- Besides preventing enemies from walking in or out of the area, the following movement spells are unable to pass the walls either:
- , , , , and .
- All other sources of horizontal movement can move units through the walls freely.
- However, the knockback from inside the arena still triggers and can cancel movement spells.
- Flying units, and units affected by vertical movement can enter and leave the arena at any time.
- This means units thrown in the air by spells may be pushed in or out of the arena freely.
- Any ranged attack projectile coming from an enemy gets blocked upon coming within 100 range of the walls.
- This means ranged enemies outside the arena cannot attack units inside of it and vice versa.
- Melee units can attack freely, if they can reach. Spell projectiles are completely unaffected as well.
- The projectiles count as completely negated, so that no on-attack effects can trigger (e.g. ).
- Provides 550 range flying vision at the center of the area for 5/6/7 seconds upon cast.
- After the effect delay, any tree touching the wall gets destroyed.
|Grants Team +100 HP Regen||25||+80%Crit|
|stun lasts +1.5 seconds||20||+200 Damage|
|+8 Armor||15||+35 Damage|
|+20 Movement Speed||10||+8 Strength|
- The strength talent effectively grants Mars 160 health, 0.8 health regen, 0.64% magic resistance and 8 attack damage.
- 's health regeneraion helps Mars stay in lane.
- also restores health to Mars.
- restores mana so Mars can keep nuking his enemies.
- provides damage block so Mars can resist enemy harassment.
- help Mars get into position to use his abilities.
- provides burst health and mana restoration to keep Mars fighting.
- allows you to constantly use Spear of Mars and God's Rebuke.
- gives extra damage to multiply with God's Rebuke's critical strike, and gives Mars the mobility to get better angles of to use Spear of Mars.
- , upgraded from , provides additional attributes.
- positions Mars to land stuns with Spear of Mars, and to initiate with Arena Of Blood.
- provides Mars with mana restoration and armor, along with lifesteal and bonus damage that quickly heal him when using God's Rebuke.
- debuffs groups of enemies when used with God's Rebuke.
- spell immunity and magical damage resistance, combining with Bulwark's attack damage reduction to help Mars survive in fights. grants
- deals passive damage while Mars tanks with Bulwark, and disables enemy s inside Arena of Blood. The extra damage also improves critical damage from God's Rebuke.
- magic resistance complements Mars' high physical resistance. 's
- Assassault Cuirass highly benefits Mars with the provided armor, attack speed, and armor reduction. This helps transform him into more of a right clicker than other items.
- returns enemy attack damage as they are trying to break through Bulwark.
- has a higher chance to proc Chain Lightning once when hitting multiple targets with God's Rebuke. Static Charge will also trigger repeatedly when Mars is tanking with Bulwark.
|Roles:||Carry Initiator Disabler Durable|
|Playstyle:||Seeking purpose and satisfaction through war, the god Mars now sets his sights on new conquests against his heavenly kin. In one arm he hoists a heavy shield, an impenetrable Bulwark that guards against all assault. Using divine strength, he pierces foes with his legendary Spear, and smashes attackers back with his shield, sending them flying across the battlefield. The undead warriors of the Ash Legion rise at Mars' beckoning to form a circle, ensuring that none may interfere with the glorious combat inside the Arena Of Blood.|
- Mars currently has no equipment.
- Despite being Zeus' son, Mars is named after the Roman god of war, while the Greek equivalent is Ares.
- Mars carries a Greek-style aspis shield, but its decorative thunderbolts are more common on Roman shields.
- Play 's casting sound comes from the Mars movement of Gustav Holst's musical suite, The Planets. Mars also Play hums the music when ordered to move or after killing an enemy in the Arena of Blood.
- Mars' response on pinning an enemy against the walls of Arena of Blood (Play "Are you not entertained?!") is a reference to a scene from the film Gladiator.
- Mars' death response (Play "What is this madness?!") and Dota Plus chat wheel line (Play "THIS IS DOOOOTAAAAA!") are references to the famous "THIS IS SPARTA!" scene from the film 300
- Files related to Mars were leaked on January 03, 2018, but were deleted later that day. The leaked abilities were called Spear Wall/Spear and Phalanx/Phalanx Cancel.