Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|A hammer forged for the gods themselves, Maelstrom allows its user to harness the power of lightning.|
- Does not stack with the Chain Lightning of or other Maelstroms.
- When obtaining multiple items with the Chain Lightning ability, only the one that has been continuously the longest in the inventory works.
- The lightning bounces in 0.25 second intervals, so hitting max targets takes 0.75 seconds.
- Can never hit the same unit more than once per proc.
- All bounces together can deal up to 600 damage (before reductions).
- Chain Lightning can proc while a previous chain lightning is still bouncing.
- Chain Lightning will not proc if the attacker is dead.
- However, it can proc if the target is dead.
- Chain Lightning uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Attacks which proc Chain Lightning cannot miss.
- The Maelstrom Chain buff is a hidden buff required for the lightning to jump.
- Chain Lightning does not use a regular cooldown. It is neither displayed on the item icon when proccing, nor is it affected by cooldown manipulating effects.
- Chain Lightning increases Sniper's farm speed, allowing Sniper to get more items quickly as a carry.
- Sniper's long range from allows him to safely clear waves. This makes it an essential item in base defense situations.
- Alchemist's increased attack speed while in effect of increases the chances of Chain Lightning proc, increasing the item effectiveness even more.
- Works well with .
- Works well with , greatly increasing Pangolier's damage output and farming speed.
- Maelstrom is a very good item for speeding up farming. If the extra experience is not needed, it is good alternative to the . Since the lightning has a long bounce range, it can be used to damage multiple camps at once when farming in the woods, if vision over the camps is present.
- It is also great to deal with illusions or mass-summons like 's spiders, 's treants, etc. Especially useful for ranged heroes that lack area damage, since they cannot make use of cleave.
- The Chain Lightning deals magical damage which ignores armor and Damage Block, making it good against heroes that get a Vanguard, or Tidehunter with his Kraken Shell, and against heroes with high armor like or .
- Maelstrom is a useful pickup against mega creeps in order to help clear waves.