Ethreain, the Lich, is a ranged intelligence hero that uses his abilities to slow his enemies down with his ice-based attacks, as well as giving a boost to ally defenses, and serves as a great teamfight ganker with his powerful ultimate. His Frost Shield bolsters his team's defenses with a damage-absorbing shield while releasing slowing pulses of ice to either deter enemies or catch up to them in a chase. Lone enemies he can disable and pull closer to himself with his Sinister Gaze, potentially pulling the target to their own demise. But his foes will find no safety in strength in numbers, as Lich's ultimate, Chain Frost deals massive damage to enemy heroes who dare stick together. While a relatively frail hero and mostly known as a support, Lich is a powerful crowd controller and can easily turn any teamfight or dominate in a lane.
- The targeting reticule must be centered over an enemy unit.
- The area damage is dealt before the primary damage.
- The primary target takes the primary damage and the area damage, resulting in 125/200/275/350 damage (before reductions).
- Frost Blast first applies the damage, then the debuff.
Does not affect spell immune enemies. Slow persists if debuff was placed before spell immunity and when not dispelled.
- The buffed ally gains resistance against attack damage. It does not gain physical damage resistance.
- Despite the description, the damage pulses hit every enemy within the area, not only the closest enemy.
- Pulses in 1-second interval, starting 1 second after cast, resulting in 6 pulses.
- All pulses together deal up to 120/180/240/300 per enemy (before reductions).
- The pulses first apply their damage, then the slow debuff.
- Recasting Frost Shield on the same target does not stack, but refreshes the duration, and resets the pulse interval.
- The level 25 talent adds health regeneration to Frost Shield. The regen works for targeted buildings as well.
- Sets the target's movement speed to 32%/38%/44%/50% of the distance between Lich and the target.
- Provides True Sight over the target for the full duration. Does not provide any other form of vision.
- Grants the target unobstructed pathing, so it can move through cliffs, trees, and other units.
- Chain Frost travels at a speed of 850.
- The projectile bounces with a 0.2 second delay.
- Can bounce on the same unit multiple times, but only when another target was hit between the bounces.
- Can bounce on, but cannot damage or slow . Only the initial hit can damage and slow him.
- Chain Frost first applies the debuff, then the damage.
- Can deal up to 1500/2250/3000 ( infinite) damage to a single unit (before reductions), since it can hit one unit up to 6 times.
- All bounces together can deal up to 2750/4125/5500 ( infinite) damage (before reductions).
- The projectile has 800 range flying vision. The vision is not provided during the 0.2 second bounce delay.
- Chain Frost stops providing vision and stops playing a sound upon hitting non-hero units when bouncing more than 60 times.
- The ability is unlocked by choosing the left level 25 talent.
- The debuff from successive attacks does not stack, only the duration gets refreshed.
- The attacks first apply their damage, then the debuff.
- Fully stacks with other slows, including all of Lich's abilities.
- Changes the visual appearance of Lich's attack projectiles (same effect as
- Uses default attack projectiles against enemies which cannot be affected.
- 's red projectiles take priority.
|Attacks Apply 50% MS and AS Slow||25||Provides +60 HP Regen|
|+2sDuration||20||+150 Cast Range|
|+20 Movement Speed||10||+200 Health|
- The cast range talent does not affect the jump distance of .
- The health talent increases maximum health capacity, and keeps the current health percentage.
- sustains Lich's health so that he does not get harassed out of lane; he can also use it to heal allied carry as well.
- also restores health to Lich or an ally.
- supplies mana for Frost Blast, keeping enemies from touching the creep waves.
- ferries items to allies.
- es are cheap and can give Lich good attributes at the cost of inventory space. They can be used to build components or upgrade your .
- provides map vision for team to spot enemy ganks.
- is useful on all heroes, and in particular on supports, so buying one on Lich is highly recommended during laning. It can be upgraded into a for additional stats and more burst regen.
- are very powerful on Lich, as his innately high base movement speed already gives him some measure of mobility to allow him to harass and escape in the laning stage. Augmenting that with Boots will allow him to do even more, harassing more effectively with Frost Blast and even chasing enemies down.
- is a useful utility item to build on Lich. On top of providing extra attributes for more HP, the additional mana regeneration allows Lich to take advantage of his high intelligence growth, and the active can be used to heal teammates or apply some more damage to the enemy in ganks.
- is a very useful utility item on all supports, and is relatively easy to build as well. The ability to quickly displace allies and enemies is very powerful as Lich's spells all depend greatly on positioning, while the item's bonuses give Lich a bigger mana pool and some more HP regen.
- magic resistance and invisibility. helps Lich or allies escape with bonus
- ethereal to counter physical damage, giving him time to use abilities or escape if he is jumped on by the enemy's carry. provides Lich attributes and
- greatly augments Lich's ability to deal damage in fights, as the increased damage and removal of the bounce limit removes the option for the enemy to simply wait out the spell or lead the ball into creep waves.
- is mandatory on any team, and Lich can carry one quite effectively. The item gives him stats across the board as well as armor, giving him more survivability, and the instant 250 HP heal is crucial in teamfights.
- is powerful on Lich as he can instantly get within range to cast Frost Blast on an enemy, or jump in to cast Chain Frost on an unsuspecting group of enemy heroes. It also improves his map mobility as he can easily jump over impassable terrain to reach his destination faster.
- is a comparatively cheap utility item that is very powerful on Lich. It enhances his movement speed while giving him a bigger mana pool and great amounts of mana regen, making him much more mobile and allowing him to spam his spells much more frequently. Most importantly though, the active ability allows him to instantly hard-disable an enemy at range, something he otherwise lacks.
- is a very powerful item on any support hero, although it is also very expensive. The massive intelligence bonus and mana regen allows Lich to cast his spells with almost no limit, and the additional strength also gives him survivability. However, its most important feature is the ability to instantly hard-disable an enemy and prevent them from using items, a powerful ability in late-game teamfights.
- gives Lich a bigger mana pool and armor that stacks with Frost Shield, allowing him to weather physical attacks better. The active and passive auras also synergize well with Lich's other abilities, greatly debilitating the enemy's movement and attack speed.
- is a good utility support item that can greatly benefit Lich. The extra stats and armor give Lich more survivability, while the large intelligence bonus gives him a larger mana pool to work with. The active can greatly enhance the effectiveness of all of Lich's nukes, particularly Chain Frost.
- gives Lich many good benefits. The extra HP greatly increases Lich's survivability and the intelligence gives him a larger mana pool. More importantly, however, the item's active ability can be used to root an enemy from a very long range and can be followed by Frost Blast.
- helps Lich in ganks by lowering enemy's armor and movement speed. Furthermore, in fights, using the item on an ally buffs their armor, movement, and attack speed. Lastly, it can reduce Roshan's armor and attack speed, cinching the Aegis with ease.
- gives Lich mana and mana regeneration to use his abilities. The increased cast range helps Lich use abilities and items from a safe distance, and improves Sinister Gaze by making the targets walk farther toward Lich.
- is a powerful utility item to build for your team, as it can protect them from magic nukes, synergizing with your ability to protect them from physical damage by casting Frost Shield on them. The passive HP regen also allows Lich to maintain his HP pool without returning to base to heal.
- will increase Lich's damage output with Chain Frost by a very large margin, especially if it is a follow-up to large disabling teamfight abilities. It is highly recommended to build up your mana pool first though, as Chain Frost itself costs 500 mana at level 3, meaning that the combo will cost upwards of 1375 mana, excluding other spells.
|Playstyle:||Resurrected by a curious geomancer, Ethreain bewitched his savior with a Sinister Gaze, then promptly made the man his newest sacrifice. Finally freed from the depths of the Black Pool, the Lich returns to wreak icy destruction on the world. Cloaking his followers with an Frost Shield, Ethreain floats across the battlefield to Frost Blast any who cross him. A frozen orb descends on his foes, traveling from one body to the next until the Chain Frost brings all opposition to their knees.|
- Lich's voice actor, Gary Schwartz, also voiced the Heavy and Demoman classes in Team Fortress 2, another title by Valve.
- In the first iteration of 's abilities, when the order of his three orbs determined the spell that was invoked, Frost Nova was one of his abilities and functioned almost identically to the current spell, and was mapped to Quas Quas Exort. also had the same Frost Nova ability with small differences in numbers.
- Lich is almost entirely based on a Warcraft 3 hero. His title (Lich), DotA name (Kel'Thuzad) and all his spells except the ultimate are same as the original Warcraft 3 hero, although entirely rebalanced around Dota.
- In his transition to Dota 2, he kept his title (Lich), but his name got changed due to copyright reasons, since Kel'Thuzad is a notable character from the Warcraft universe.
- Lich's response Play "Dead man drifting." is a reference to the line Play "Dead man walking." spoken by the Warcraft 3 hero.
- Anatomically, Lich's cranium has no visible sutures, another proof of his age.
- Lich's response :Play "Frost bitten, twice shy" is a referense to Great White albums: Once Bitten... and ...Twice Shy
- Lich's response Play "And so the dead will bury the dead" is a reference from Bible (Luke 9:59-60), where Jesus said, “Let the dead bury the dead,” in response to a disciple who wanted to bury his father before committing himself to the Lord.
Low Violence model