Tresdin, the Legion Commander, is a melee strength hero fitting the role of carry. A highly mobile and predatory hero, her skillset and gameplay revolves mainly around successfully killing off targets with her ultimate, Duel. Accomplishing this grants Tresdin permanent bonus damage. Though she is extremely skilled in "fair" one-on-one fights, Tresdin suffers when outnumbered and must choose her engagements carefully. A successful midgame sees her roaming the map collecting kills and becoming a very dangerous carry, whilst in lategame she ideally will no longer rely on Duel to win her fights and simply destroy any enemies that come too close to her. Though potentially an extremely powerful hero, she must be played with premeditation and good decision-making to reach her full potential.
- The percentage bonus damage to summons is dealt before the base and bonus damage and only taken by units which were created by an ability.
- The bonus damage counts creep-heroes and illusions as creeps.
- The initial part of the spell's sound effect plays during the cast animation and is audible to everyone.
- The buff from multiple casts of Overwhelming Odds does not stack but gets refreshed instead.
- The speed bonus gets updated on each cast based on how many targets were hit.
- Only procs when a unit starts an attack against Legion Commander, regardless of distance.
- This means canceled or missed attacks can proc it as well.
- Upon proccing, Legion Commander receives a buff, which grants her 1000 attack speed and lifesteal.
- This buff lasts for 1 second, or until she lands an attack, whichever is shorter. Missed attacks do not count.
- If the ability procs while Tresdin is already attacking, she performs an instant attack on the current attack target.
- This instant attack does not interfere with the ongoing attack and uses no animation.
- The instant attack can proc any attack modifier or any on-hit effect like a regular attack.
- This means the instant attack also uses up the 1000 attack speed and lifesteal buff immediately.
- If Legion Commander is blinded, the instant attack can miss, unless she has True Strike. It can also miss to evasion.
- Stacks additively with other sources of lifesteal.
- Cannot lifesteal off of wards, buildings and allied units.
- Moment of Courage uses pseudo-random distribution.
- Duel ends immediately when the distance between the duelists gets greater than 2000 at any point during it.
- Provides True Sight over the caster and the target for both teams, meaning both heroes are visible to both teams during Duel even when invisible.
- The loser of the duel is the hero that dies while under the buff. There is no victor if both heroes are alive at the end of the duration.
- The dueling units do not have to do the last hit to win the Duel. Allies and enemies may interfere.
- It does not matter how a duelist dies during the Duel, be it to enemies, allies or neutrals, the victor gets the damage in most cases.
- The victor gets damage if the loser is denied.
- When Legion Commander dies to the shatter of , the dueled enemy does not get bonus damage. However, when the Duel target dies to the shatter instead, Legion Commander does get the damage.
- A Duel target does not get the bonus damage, when it is under the effect of . However, when Legion Commander is under the effect of Astral Imprisonment, she does get the damage.
- and his clones grant Duel damage as long as the dueled unit is the same as the initially killed one. Otherwise no damage is granted.
- Duel's taunt has a higher priority than other taunts.
- Taunts also generally have a higher priority than Fear, however, Fear prevents the unit from attacking while taunted.
- Casting , or on a dueling unit has no effect, wasting the mana and cooldown.
- When a dueling unit is defeated and has or (including its upgrade), the victor still gets the bonus damage.
- When casting or upgraded on a dueling unit or a dueling unit is affected by , the duel instantly ends with no victor.
- Can be cast on illusions. However, defeating them grants no bonus damage. But if the illusion is victorious, it gets the bonus damage.
- The same applies to a , with the only difference being that the double can benefit from the bonus damage (for its remaining duration).
|+10%Proc Chance||20||+50 Movement Speed|
|+50Hero Damage||15||+30 Attack Speed|
|+25% XP Gain||10||+8 Strength|
- is generally a good idea if offlaning or jungling, as the decreased damage from attacks will help her stay alive, and help withstand harass from enemies in the offlane.
- is useful for a big burst of early lane regen, or a cheaper alternative to Stout Shield for a jungling start.
- potions help Legion Commander cast Overwhelming Odds more often in the early game, ensuring more farm.
- is necessary if you wish to jungle between waves when laning, and it helps get last hits.
- provides strength for damage and health; the active grants mana to use Overwhelming Odds.
- mana problems in lane, but is unnecessary in the jungle. It can always be upgraded into a if necessary. will help with Legion's early
- health and attack speed. are essential on Legion Commander, because of the
- is the usual initiation tool for a Duel to build on Legion Commander.
- Huskar, Sven, or Ursa. It's also great against ranged enemy carries in particular, since they may be able to attack and kite Legion Commander before she even approaches melee range to start counterattacking, but they tend to be very fragile, such as Drow Ranger, Windranger, or Sniper. can help deal more damage during Duels when the Duel target can easily out-damage Legion Commander, such as
- health, attack damage and attack speed; quite literally every stat Tresdin could want. The health loss is also greatly mitigated by the lifesteal from Moment of Courage. If you already have as well, this is a good choice for a damage item in order to start collecting damage from won Duels - simply activate Armlet before Blinking in and Dueling. is an excellent option on Legion Commander because it gives
- is an all-rounded useful tool to avoid disables. Although it's less needed for spell immunity during Duels if you already have Aghanim's Scepter, it can provide a secondary source of spell immunity if needed.
- attack speed that can be used to win Duels later in the game. is always beneficial as it gives your team armor, takes away the enemy team's armor, and gives very good
- can be a good alternative choice for boots. The active will help you catch up with enemies, perhaps to cast a Duel before you get a Blink Dagger.
- Spectre's Dispersion and Desolate, Troll Warlord's Bash and Fervor or Phantom Assassin's Blur and Coup de Grace abilities (do note that Silver Edge's Break does not disable passives provided by items). can be a good initiation tool for Legion Commander if there are no enemy sentries around; it adds some DPS to her attacks as oppossed to Blink Dagger which only provides the Blink ability. If you're fast enough you can Backstab your intended Duel target before Dueling right away to improve your chances of winning Duels, specially early on. It can also be upgraded to , which increases her stats and works very much the same for initiating Duel, but its Break can disable powerful passive abilities, such as
- armor reduction will help kill enemies in Duel faster, and is all-around helpful for your other allied carries. It is recommended to not taking both Desolator and Assault Cuirass, since in late game, Desolator is outshined by Assault Cuirass (2 minus armor difference and Desolator's damage can be compensated with the damages won from Duel). is a good item to consider as the
- attack speed and damage. Remember to activate the active before you Duel for extra damage when they attack you. is an excellent item to consider if you want
- attack speed, and using the attack damage from already won Duels to win even more Duels. increases her survivability giving bonus HP, HP regeneration and blocking 70 damage from incoming attacks. The bash chance is very powerful on her, since it can proc on the hits guaranteed by Moment of Courage. Avoid getting this early on, as it is very expensive and you should be focusing on getting more
- lifesteal and strength. However, most of the time Moment of Courage will give you enough survivability. is a good option if you really need more
- evasion. is always good against enemies who have any form of
- critical strike, meaning that her attack damage increases multiplicatively with each Duel you win. Given enough Duels won, it's possible for her to out-damage much stronger physical damage carries such as Sven or Phantom Assassin, even if the latter may have an equally good item build. can be a great damage item for Legion Commander if there is no particular need for True Strike or the disable effects provided by Skull Basher or Abyssal Blade. It is particularly good for Legion Commander, as the damage bonus from won Duels is multiplied by the Daedalus'
- strength and evasion. Use the active ability to the target you want to Duel to let you have more chance to win the Duel. It can pop enemies' before using Duel. increases your survivability by giving you
- ensures that you won't be disabled by most spells when Dueling, as it turns you spell immune for the duration of Duel, as well as negating all sources of damage that don't come from the Dueled hero. However, it mostly prevents your allies from helping you during the Duel. It means that you need to build this item in precaution: if you have low Duel damage (and lower damage than enemy), then it is best for you to not buying this item since it can prevent your teammates to help you win the Duel.)
|Roles:||Carry Disabler Initiator Durable Nuker|
|Playstyle:||Renowned for her intrepid defense of Stonehall, the commander of the Bronze Legion swore a brutal vengeance upon its abyssal invaders. The call of Tresdin's horn heals and hastens her soldiers, inspiring them to Press the Attack. Faced with Overwhelming Odds, the commander calls down a spread of arrows from the archers of Stonehall. But above all, Tresdin relishes the Duel. Locked in single combat, she counterstrikes instinctively, slashing twice in the time her opponent takes to swing once. With each victory claimed, the Legion Commander adds to her strength, scaling her potential upwards without limit.|
- The transition of content from DotA to Dota 2 involved a change in gender for Legion Commander, despite the character and ability names remaining unchanged. She still makes references to her old characterization in a collection of lines when engaging certain heroes:
- When engaging heroes with mounts, she will often express her jealousy or interest for them (Play "I like your mount."). Her hero model in DotA rode a mount.
- She also comments on facial hair when dueling or killing certain heroes (Play "Nice mustache."). Her DotA hero model had a mustache.
- In DotA, her counterpart often expressed his distrust for anything which was not human. This is heavily expanded in Dota 2, where Legion Commander will instead express her distrust for numerous roles or states of being, instead of a single racial entity, in a bulk of her rival hero taunts.
- Tresdin's response, Play "War. War always changes." is a reference to the signature Fallout quote, "War. War never changes."
- Her response, Play "You won't win the war by dying for your Ancient. You'll win by making the other dumb, unfed bastard die for theirs!" is a reference to the popular George S. Patton quote: "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- The horn sound effect when deploying Play utilizes the same Play sound the Concheror item uses in Team Fortress 2, another title from Valve.
- Her voice actress, Merle Dandridge, is also well known for providing the voice of Alyx Vance, a character in the game Half Life 2, another title by Valve.
- When dueling Play which a reference to the Thunderdome of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome! , There is a chance of Legion Commander yelling Thunderdome!
- When dueling , Legion Commander has only 1% to say "Multi-ogre Battle Arena!". This is a reference to the game genre Dota 2 is, MOBA - Multiplayer Online Battle Arena.
- In The Lab, a VR game by Valve, there are some Bendie soldiers who wield Legion Commander's sword in the minigame Longshot, along with other Dota 2 weapons like Axe's war axe, Huskar's spear and Stout Shield.
Envisioning Legion Commander Loading Screen concept art