Keeper of the Light
|Keeper of the Light|
Ezalor the Keeper of the Light is a ranged Intelligence Hero famous for his reputation as a one-man support team. Supporting his allies in need, and pushing unguarded lanes with ease, Ezalor is a very valuable ally for any team. Having a variety of useful abilities, he can channel a powerful globe of intense light that can heavily damage an army of enemy creeps in the lane, allowing for an easy push; and manipulate the mana around him, restoring mana for himself and his allies or draining the mana of his enemy. His Ultimate allows him to gain his full power, giving Ezalor access to 2 sub-abilities and an improved existing ability, giving him six different abilities in total. Keeper of the Light requires patience, confidence, and selfless behavior to play him well, as he is played as a support instead of a killer caster like most Intelligence gankers. His wide set of abilities also requires good timing, reflexes, and knowledge to use well.
|Ezalor, the Keeper of the Light|
|Play "They say twas I who carried the first light into the universe. They might be right, I can't quite recall."|
|Role:||Support / Nuker / Disabler / Jungler|
|Lore:||Upon a pale horse he rides, this spark of endless suns, this Keeper of the Light. Ezalor long ago escaped the Fundamental plane, separating from the other ancient forces to which he was bound within the great Primordial harmony. He is a power grown sentient in the dawn of the universe, and now rides forth in all planes at once, one step ahead of pursuing chaos, bearing his gift with him at the end of a radiant staff. His majestic truth lies hidden beneath the outward appearance of a slightly doddering old man who barely stays in the saddle. However, when faced with the challenge of chaos, or the forces of darkness, his primordial light bursts forth, and his full power is revealed, transforming him once again into a force to be reckoned with.|
|Voice:||Nolan North (Responses)|
- Damage and heal increase by 1 for every 0.01 seconds, starting as the 0.3 second cast time begins.
- The damage/heal increasing talent does not alter this. The talent's bonus is added after the scaling damage is calculated.
- This means it can deal a minimum of 30 ( 230) damage and heal for a minimum of 30 ( 230) health.
- This also means that the maximum damage and heal are reached after 1.7/2.7/3.7/4.7 seconds of channeling.
- Checks the current daytime upon releasing the wave. Cannot heal during the nights caused by Darkness and Eclipse.
- Cannot heal invulnerable allies.
- During the channeling, the spell spawns vision fields in a line in front of Ezalor.
- The vision fields provide 375 range flying vision and last for 10.34 seconds each.
- The first vision field spawns 150 range in front of Ezalor. The following ones spawn 150 range away from the previous vision fields.
- The vision fields are spawned in 0.5 second intervals, starting 0.5 seconds after channeling start, resulting in up to 3/5/7/9 fields.
- When the channeling gets canceled, it stops spawning vision fields. This does not affect the travel distance of the wave.
- When fully channeled, all vision fields together reach up to 825/1125/1425/1725 range away with their vision.
- The horses only spawn when the spell is channeled for the full 2/3/4/5 seconds and only have a visual purpose.
- Checks the target's current position once upon cast and then in 0.1 second intervals, resulting in 41/51/61/71 checks.
- On each check, it compares the target's current position with its position on the last check and reduces its mana based on the distance between the positions.
- Does not reduce mana when the distance between two positions is greater than 300. So a unit needs to move at more than 3000 speed, or blink a distance greater than 300 to not lose mana.
- The target has to move a distance of 2000 to lose 100% of its mana.
- Does not reduce mana on invulnerable units.
- Casting Mana Leak on a unit with no mana pool stuns it instantly.
- The sound effect upon losing mana is only audible to the target.
- When cast on self, it effectively restores 50/115/180/245 ( 350/415/480/545) mana because of its mana cost.
- Increases the target's maximum mana pool, without affecting its current mana.
- The mana restoring is applied after the maximum mana has been increased.
- Upon losing the buff, the unit's max mana pool is reverted to its default, without affecting its current mana.
- Can be cast on units with no mana pool, but it does not grant them any mana, nor does it give them a mana pool. The cooldown reduction works.
- While having the buff, the first ability which goes on cooldown gets its cooldown reduced. Following cooldowns are not reduced.
- Can reduce the cooldown for any ability which can go on cooldown. This includes passive abilities.
- Each cast places a new buff on the unit. This means the maximum mana pool increment stacks. However, the cooldown reduction does not stack.
- Spirit Form interrupts Ezalor's channeling spells upon cast.
- When Spirit Form expires or Aghanim's Scepter is acquired while a spirit is channeling Illuminate (Spirit Form), it is released instantly.
- When acquiring Aghanim's Scepter while channeling Illuminate, the permanent spirit form is applied after the channeling finishes or is stopped.
- However, the healing effect is instantly applied to the current channeling Illuminate and Ezalor instantly gains unobstructed vision.
- Keeper of the Light loses his spirit form upon death. When having Aghanim's Scepter, it gets reapplied upon spawn.
- This ability is unlocked while having the Spirit Form buff on.
- Targeting the ground chooses the closest allied hero to the targeted point.
- If Keeper of the Light or the target dies, the spell effect is interrupted.
- Damage is checked before any sort of reduction. This means that it gets canceled even when the damage is fully blocked. Has no minimum damage threshold.
- Self-inflicted damage does not cancel the effect. Only damage coming from a player (including allies) or Roshan cancels it.
- Gives the target a stop command after teleporting it, effectively canceling channeling spells.
- The disable help function prevents an allied Ezalor from casting this spell on you.
- This ability is unlocked while having the Spirit Form buff on.
- Knocks units back at a speed of 1312.5. Knockback distance is always 525, no matter how far the unit is from the center.
- Units are not disabled during the knockback. They can still turn, attack, cast spells and use items. Channeling spells are not interrupted.
- Can knock units over impassable terrain. Destroys trees within 150 radius of affected units upon landing.
|+200 Illuminate Damage/Heal||25||+400 Cast Range|
|+7 Armor||20||+10% Magic Resistance|
|+300 Chakra Magic Mana||15||+20% XP Gain|
|+20 Movement Speed||10||+7 Strength|
- The magic resistance stacks multiplicatively with other sources of magic resistance.
- The armor is added as bonus armor, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- The cast range talent also affects the damage/heal range of Illuminate, but not its vision range.
- The damage/heal bonus talent for Illuminate is directly added on top of the regular damage/heal. It does not alter the damage per second of channeling.
- Tango and Healing Salve provide health regeneration while laning, which mitigates harass damage by lane opponents. As well, they can be shared with Keeper of the Light's lane partner(s) as needed.
- Gauntlets of Strength is expensive but gives Keeper of the Light more health, which is always handy since he has a very small base health pool. They can also used to make a Bracer or Urn of Shadows.
- Iron Branch gives some stats, and can be used to build a Magic Wand or Mekansm components.
- Animal Courier should always be purchased by a support at the start of the game.
- Boots of Speed increase Keeper of the Light's mobility, which can be crucial for getting into position to cast his spells.
- Magic Wand increases Keeper of the Light's stats for cheap, and provides even more burst regen. On a hard support, it can be a critical item to purchase for survivability.
- Tranquil Boots are the cheapest upgrade options for Boots of Speed, and give Ezalor more armor and movement speed for little expense. The passive regen keeps his health at full, allowing him to be self-sustaining as he can replenish his mana with Chakra Magic, while the increased movement speed gives him more mobility for supporting and roaming.
- Mekansm synergizes well with Keeper of the Light's support abilities, as he can heal his teammates as well as restore their mana. The overall stats and armor also provide Ezalor with considerably more survivability, while the item's high mana cost can be ignored due to Chakra Magic.
- Observer Wards should always be purchased whenever they are in stock: it is the support's job to give their team vision around the map, and the vision they offer is very useful for getting into a good position to cast Illuminate from.
- As a support, a Town Portal Scroll is always crucial, as Ezalor's abilities allow him to do a lot in teamfights or counter-ganks. Never go anywhere without at least one.
- Aghanim's Scepter gives Ezalor constant access to Spirit Form, as well as making Illuminate much more powerful. If your team intends to make the most of your pushing abilities, this is a very strong luxury item to purchase.
- Boots of Travel are a very powerful item to have on Keeper of the Light. Besides the increased mobility and freeing up an item slot, the global teleport can be combined with Recall, allowing him to bring two heroes almost anywhere on the map.
- Shiva's Guard is a good luxury item that gives Keeper of the Light more physical survivability, a larger mana pool and better teamfight contribution. The intelligence and armor allow Keeper of the Light to participate more in fights, while the attack speed aura and active freeze aura slows enemies' attempts to deal damage with their physical attacks and slows their movement speed with an additional damage nuke.
- Rod of Atos is a good item for a ranged support who needs more survivability and a larger mana pool. Its active ability makes chasing or escaping from single enemies much easier due to its extremely long cast range and low cooldown.
- Scythe of Vyse provides a large boost to attributes and excellent mana regeneration, allowing Keeper of the Light to use Chakra Magic on teammates more frequently instead of on himself. The Hex it offers is very powerful on Keeper of the Light, as he otherwise lacks an instant hard disable.
- Pipe of Insight is a good utility support item to purchase. It can increase Ezalor's survivability against magic nukes, allowing him to do more in teamfights, but its main purpose is to shield all teammates from magic damage for a short time.
- Eul's Scepter of Divinity gives Keeper of the Light a sustainable mana pool and increased movement speed, allowing him to be much more active on the field. The active ability can be used to dispel debuffs such as silences while making Ezalor temporarily invulnerable, or disable an enemy long enough for Illuminate to charge up for more damage.
- Force Staff is a good utility item that is powerful on all supports. It can be used for mobility, saving teammates, or forcibly dispositioning enemies, particularly effective when combined with Mana Leak and Blinding Light
- Necronomicon is the right choice if you wish to push or contribute even more in fights: the attributes granted increase with every level, and the units it summons give bonus to you and your team (such as more movement and attack speed, as well as True Sight at level 3). The mana burn synergizes well with your Mana Leak.
- Veil of Discord gives Ezalor stats across the board as well as armor, making him more survivable. Its active ability also gives him powerful teamfight contribution, especially Illuminate, and is a good item to buy if your team can capitalize on their magic nukes.
- As a support, be sure to also upgrade the Animal Courier to a Flying Courier if the opportunity presents itself. As well, constant purchasing of Sentry Wards will allow you to de-ward the enemy, a crucial duty for supports.
- Medallion of Courage is a powerful utility item that gives Keeper of the Light more armor and some mana regen. As a ranged support, you have the ability to reduce an enemy's armor for your team to capitalize on, or give an ally more armor to extend their survivability. As well, it greatly helps when your team wants to kill Roshan.
- Ghost Scepter is a good cheap item for giving Keeper of the Light survivability if he is constantly being jumped on by the enemy's carries. Immunity against physical damage will allow Ezalor time to cast more of his spells as needed.
- Heaven's Halberd is a useful survivability and utility item. It increases the size of Keeper of the Light's health pool and grants him evasion against physical attacks, however its active ability can also be cast from behind teammates to disarm the enemy's carry for a short time, useful if they have a Monkey King Bar that ignores Blinding Light's miss chance.
- Ezalor's design in Dota 2 makes several references to Gandalf, an iconic character from The Lord of the Rings book series.
- His clothing is almost purely white, similar to Gandalf's attire.
- Illuminate's wave animation are a group of stampeding white horses. This is similar to the spell Gandalf cast on the torrent of water, at the ford of Bruinen, in the first book, The Fellowship of the Ring. Additionally, it has similarities to his reinforcements at Helm's Deep during the second book, The Two Towers. This is also depicted in the splash art, with Ezalor taking Gandalf's place at the head of the charge.
- The Mana Leak cast line Play "You shall not cast!" is a reference to one of Gandalf's most famous quotes: "You shall not pass!"
- The respawn lines Play "Ezalor... I think that's my name" is likely a reference to Gandalf "respawning" as The White: "Gandalf? ... Yes ... That was my name ... Gandalf the Grey."
- One of Ezalor's cosmetic items, the Wise Cap of the First Light makes him look even more like Gandalf.
- The lines Play "Kundalini!" and Play "The serpent of illumination stirs!" come, as well as the term "Chakra" are derived from Hinduism. Kundalini is described as a dormant inner strength, or "sleeping serpent waiting to be awakened".
- Enigma, Io, Keeper of the Light and Chaos Knight together represent the four fundamental forces of the universe with Ezalor representing the weak nuclear force. This is reflected in several of Enigma's responses to these heroes.
- The rivalry line Play "And chaos fled!" may be a reference to an official bug that can occur when fighting the final boss of Final Fantasy, Chaos, as you can win the fight without damaging him (he simply just fled).
- His rare line Play "I'll tell thee everything I can, there's little to relate." and Play "Very gladly will I drink your honor's noble health." are quotes of the poem by "Haddock's Eyes" by Lewis Carroll, a poem about a very odd old man.
- His rare line Play "I'll forego green girdles and questing beasts, for all such knightly trifles pale before the light." is a reference to the book The Sword in the Stone.