Items can be sold for half the price they were bought for. Items can be resold within 10 seconds after purchase for the full price. Using an item prohibits selling it for the full price. For example, purchasing aand activating it immediately cancels the 10 seconds, only allowing you to sell it for half the price. The same applies when buying multiple s, placing one down, and attempting to sell the remainder. This is the case with any usable item, including , and .
Items that have been purchased while dead can be sold if that item was bought during the same death, otherwise items cannot be sold while dead, even within the grace period. This is a measurement to ensure that players cannot exploit spending all their gold prior to death and selling back the stashed items within the grace period after death to cut down on potentially lost gold.
Selling an item while that item's ability is active does not cancel the ability. Selling and rebuying an item does not reset ability cooldowns.
All are granted at the beginning of the game (as well as random and bonus hero bonuses) are unsellable. Additionally the following items may not be sold.
Items with special selling rules
- The duration of Avatar is bound to the hero. Rebuying the item does not reset it.
- Although Cheese cannot be bought, it can be sold for 500 gold. However, only the hero picking it up first can sell it.
- Selling the item causes the dominated unit to die.
- The sell value of the item is based on the number of charges remaining. A single instance has a sell value of Expression error: Unexpected < operator. gold.
- Although Refresher Shard cannot be bought, it can be sold for 500 gold. However, only the hero picking it up first can sell it.
- The sell value of the item is based on the number of charges remaining. A single instance has a sell value of 15 gold.