Io the Wisp is a ranged strength hero who works best as part of a communicative team. With its support-oriented skill set, Io can share its healing and buffs through Tether and Overcharge, harass enemy heroes out of the lane with Spirits, and materialize itself and an ally anywhere on the map with Relocate.
Io does not need to be facing towards a unit in order to attack, use abilities, or use items. It still has a front, marked by an arc-like effect, and a back.
- Has a sub-ability that lets Io break the tether while connected with an ally.
- Tethering a unit that is 700 units or further away causes Io to latch on and pull itself to the target.
- Pulls Io at a speed of 1000, until coming within 300 range of the target.
- Can pull Io over impassable terrain.
- Destroys trees within 350 radius around Io right after the pull.
- If Io breaks the tether while getting pulled to the tethered target, the pull immediately stops.
- The pull gets interrupted when Io is hit by another spell which applies Forced Movement, but not when Io is disabled.
- If the distance between Io and the target gets greater than 900 (or 2150 during the pull), the Tether breaks.
- When the distance between Io and the tethered target gets greater than 700, the link's visual appearance changes.
- Tether has no set duration. It breaks only when exceeding the break distances, when Io or the target die, or when using the sub-spell.
- The movement speed bonus is only applied to the tethered ally, while Io's movement speed is periodically set equal to the target's speed.
- This means Io completely ignores movement speed slows and bonuses, but effectively get slowed or sped up when the tethered allied does.
- Hastes have priority over Tether. and have priority over it as well, so that Io does not ignore them.
- The tethered unit benefits from health and mana.
, , and from Io regenerating or replenishing
- Tethered units still benefit from all those effects even when turning invulnerable or when hidden.
- The health and mana regeneration is only applied to the tethered unit if Io's respective pool is not full.
- Healing effects like are applied to the tethered unit depending on how much health was replenished on Io.
- Mana restoring effects like are applied fully to the tethered unit if 1 or more mana was replenished on Io.
- If Io is tethered to an invisible unit, enemies can only see a fake link leading to the invisible unit's last known location.
- When the level 15 talent is chosen, the tethered ally's spells receive their upgrades until the Tether breaks.
- Io does not require an Aghanim's Scepter for the talent to work.
- Does not work for heroes who cannot drop their scepters.
- When the level 25 talent is chosen, Io performs instant attacks on every enemy the tethered ally attacks.
- The attacks are performed as soon as the ally launches their attack (including instant attacks). It does not matter whether the attack actually hits or not.
- Does not perform attacks when the tethered target also has this talent (i.e. an illusion of Io).
- The instant attacks of Io can proc every attack modifier normally. The attacks have no True Strike, but completely ignore disarms.
- Replaces until the Tether is broken.
- Interrupts Io's channeling spells upon cast.
- Interrupts Io's channeling spells upon cast.
- Upon use, this spell gets replaced by a sub-spell which allows moving the spirits in or out.
- 5 spirits are summoned over the course of four seconds so that the distance between each spirit is equal.
- The first spirit is always spawned to the north of Io, with the following spirits spawning in one second interval behind the previous spirit.
- The spirits expand automatically to their maximum distance upon cast.
- The spirits always rotate clockwise and are locked to Io's location, following it wherever it goes.
- Moving the spirits in or out does not break their formatting. They always rotate in a circle and keep equal distance from each other.
- The spirits complete a revolution every ~2.3 seconds regardless of distance from Io.
- Their angular velocity is constant, meaning their speed increases the further away they are from the caster.
- This means the first created spirit can rotate at least 8 times around Io.
- When a non-hero unit comes within the 110 collision radius of the spirits, it takes the collision damage.
- When a hero comes within collision radius, the spirit explodes, dealing the explosion damage and slowing enemies within a 360 radius.
- Remaining spirits detonate simultaneously at the end of the duration or if recast, dealing the explosion damage and applying the slow around them.
- Spirits provide 150 radius flying vision for 3 seconds at the location where they collided with a hero.
- They do not provide vision when exploding caused by expiring or recasting.
- The spirits are invisible to the enemy if Io is invisible.
- Can deal up to 100/200/300/400 ( 475/575/675/775) damage to a single unit when all 5 spirits explode on a target (before reductions).
- This ability replaces until all spirits are gone.
- Does not interrupts Io's channeling spells upon cast.
- Moves the spirits in or out at a speed of 250. It takes 2.4 seconds to move the spirits from max to min distance and vice versa.
- Overcharge does not interrupt Io's channeling spells upon cast.
- Can be toggled off while on cooldown.
- A tethered ally is affected by the damage reduction and attack speed, but only Io's health and mana get drained.
- Drains 1.2% of current health and mana in 0.2 second intervals.
- Io and the tethered ally's effective health are increased by 5%/11%/18%/25%.
- This quickly diminishes for Io because of the health loss.
- Double-clicking the ability automatically targets the team's fountain area.
- If Io is stunned, slept, cycloned, or hexed during the effect delay, Relocate gets cancelled.
- Enemies get a notification on their minimap during the teleport delay, showing them where Relocate was targeted.
- Creates a visual effect at the targeted point during the teleport delay, which is visible to everyone.
- Creates a visual effect at Io's position before the teleport happens, which also is visible to everyone.
- Provides 300 radius flying vision at the targeted point during the effect delay. Does not provide vision otherwise.
- Relocate interrupts channeling spells and every current order of Io and the tethered ally both on initial teleport, and when going back.
- Io may break its tether at any time to prevent bringing an ally back.
- Teleports invulnerable and hidden targets.
- Destroys trees within 300 radius around Io upon both teleports.
- The Disablehelp option prevents Io from relocating the respective ally.
|+15 Health Regen||20||+150 Gold/Min|
|Grants Bonus||15||+75Hero Damage|
|+45 Damage||10||+25% XP Gain|
- provides health regeneration to Io and a lane partner, thanks to Tether.
- keeps Io and ally up in health during the early game.
- sustains Io and ally with mana to use abilities.
- , available at the Secret Shop, restores both ally's health and mana with Tether.
- heals Io while Tether passes that healing to an allied target.
- instantly restores mana and health to both Io and a tethered ally.
- gives attributes and a bit more amount of heal compared to Magic Stick.
- , upgraded from , increases regeneration and healing for Io to keep allies healthy, while providing bonus health and movement speed to boost Io's survivability.
- restore a large amount of mana to Io and allies with Tether.
- heals Io's tethered partner for much more than the standard 250. It also provides an armor and health regeneration aura to boost survivability.
- Dominate a creep, potentially allowing him to forgo boots as his movespeed rises to 457 when Tethered to the creep. provides extra health regeneration for Tethered allies, and has an attack speed aura that stacks with Overcharge. It also lets Io
- , built from Mekansm and Arcane Boots to save an item slot, restore huge amount of health and mana to Io and its team, especially with Tether. Io also enjoys the boosted health regeneration and armor as its HP decreases due to Overcharge.
- allows Io or allied target to escape from enemies with invisibility and magic resistance.
- shields Io from physical attacks, so it stays alive longer to help allies.
- grants strength and health regeneration. More importantly, Io can pass the created mana to the tethered ally so both parties can use their respective abilities. Consider items like Tranquil Boots or Helm of the Dominator that boost health regeneration to sustain the health cost of Soul Ring.
- heals Io and tethered allies more if they do not need the mana from Arcance Boots.
- gives cost efficient attribute bonuses and further boosts Io's and its partner's attack and movement speed.
- grants aura of health regeneration and magic resistance, a great item to absorb magical damage.
- has useful aura with many perks, including bonus damage and lifesteal which help allied heroes who rely on physical attacks to deal damage.
- serves as a disable to stop channeling spells or prevent escape. The bonus movement speed allows Io to keep up Tether close to an ally without breaking it.
- provides useful ability to position different heroes, including Io.
- gives some strength, evasion, and the ability to disarm a troublesome enemy hero.
- makes Io an ultimate healer, thanks to its generous bonuses of strength and health regeneration.
- provides a valuable disable, some useful attribute bonuses, as well as mana regeneration which can pass on to tethered ally.
- adds damage and applies armor reduction on enemies; works better in the late game after taking talent that lets Io attack tethered ally's target.
|Roles:||Support Escape Nuker|
|Playstyle:||The phenomenon that is Io manifests on the physical plane as a wisp of light, its purpose beyond mortal understanding. It flits to and fro the battlefield, searching for an ally to Tether to. Those blessed with Io's bond feel their feet lighten as the Wisp channels its own regenerative powers into their body. Should its host falter, Io begins to Overcharge, augmenting that ally's speed while strengthening his resolve. As a force unbound by the laws of corporeal space, Io is able to temporarily Relocate itself and an ally to any point in the world, often saving a companion from certain death.|
- Io is the name of a priestess of Hera in Greek Mythology. She was seduced by Zeus and subsequently incurred Hera's wrath.
- Io is also the name of one of four Galilean moons of Jupiter, which was named after the same character in Greek Mythology.
- Io's fun names in DotA were Weird Ball and Santelmo. Santelmo may refer to St. Elmo's Fire, a weather phenomenon that creates sparks of bright energy similar to that of lightning, mostly occurring from sharply pointed structures.
- , , , and together represent the four fundamental forces of the universe with Io representing the electromagnetic force, as alluded to in his lore as the force that binds all matter together, as well as his abilities which mostly rely on being bound to a partner to achieve maximum effect.
- Io connects to a unit with its tentacle when getting closer, despite of allied or enemy.
Alternate color theme, briefly used until the March 28, 2013 Patch