Hex (also referred to as Sheep or Polymorph) is a status effect which turns the affected unit into a harmless critter, disabling many of its fighting capabilities.
All sources of Hex have an instant (0 second) cast time and instantly destroy illusions. Hexed heroes are still treated as heroes by spells.
Hex applies multiple disables on the target, Silence, Mute and Disarm, rendering it unable to attack, cast spells and use active item abilities. Since it applies a regular silence, toggled abilities are not turned off and already ongoing spells are not stopped, except for channeling spells. It does not dispel any status effect either.
Though hexes transform the target into critters, this has only a visual aspect. The unit keeps all its properties, including collision size. However, its hit box and selection box changes.
All forms of hex can be dispelled by basic dispels.
Besides disabling, hex also directly manipulates the target's base movement speed, setting to a usually low value. The target still fully benefits from any flat movement speed bonuses, like that from any boots. This means it technically does not slow the target. Every movement speed increase and slow change the target's movement speed based on what the Hex set it to + any flat bonuses it has, instead of its actual base speed + flat bonuses.
- Sand King has a base movement speed of 300. With Boots of Speed, he has 345. A 30% slow would reduce it to 241, a 30% bonus would increase it to 448 movement speed
- Shadow Shaman's Hex sets Sand King's base speed to 100. The boots increase it to 145. A 30% slow would now reduce it to 101, and a 30% bonus would increase it to 188 movement speed.
- This also means that hastes will still provide maximum movement speed.
Sources of Hex
- The cosmetic item Fin King's Charm changes Lion's Hex model into a fish.
- The cosmetic items Lamb to the Slaughter and Golden Lamb to the Slaughter change Shadow Shaman's Hex model into a sheep.
Lion's Hex creature with Fin King's Charm
Shadow Shaman's Hex creature Lamb to the Slaughter
Shadow Shaman's Hex creature with Golden Lamb to the Slaughter