Audio migration in progress. Some responses pages / audio files may have broken file links.
This page attempts to give some guidelines as to when modules should be used.
Modules are generally faster than templates. However, some considerations should be put into whether using one is worth it.
- In 99% of cases, a module will perform better than an equivalent template.
- Many things that can't be done in templates are possible in modules.
- For logic based operations (e.g. Module:Calculate) and large templates the Lua code is much more readable than an equivalent template.
- Editing modules requires some basic programming knowledge and knowledge of Lua. This makes them hard to change/update for many users.
- Modules take away some of the simplicity that makes MediaWiki and the template system great.
Only use a module if absolutely needed.
Below are a couple of examples that would justify using a module.
- Complicated logic.
- Error avoidance.
- Multiple (possibly nested)