|Hero||Strategy||Counters||Equipment||Gear||Responses||Sounds||Lore||Old Abilities||Changelogs||Known Bugs|
Aurel, the Gyrocopter, is a ranged agility hero, capable of outputting a lot of single target and area of effect damage at a multitude of ranges. Early game Gyrocopter is a strong ganker, with Rocket Barrage able to output a lot of damage in a short amount of time if he and his target are alone. His second ability, Homing Missile, is a long range projectile that forces opponents to either stop and engage to take out the missile, or run to a safe location before being stunned. Thanks to his third ability, Flak Cannon, he is also an excellent pusher, and with it can farm up big items in the midgame as his spells start to fall off in damage. Flak Cannon also allows him to hit everyone in a teamfight with his autoattack, and with enough damage items he can inflict a lot of damage to the entire enemy team. Call Down is a useful ultimate with a low cooldown, providing a large area slow and nuke making it great for team fights. With the right items, he can also transition into a carry role.
|Aurel, the Gyrocopter|
|Play "So much for being retired…"|
|Lore:||After serving through a lifetime of wars, upheaval, riots, and revolutions, the brass figured Aurel had seen enough. But in addition to a few trinkets and his considerable pension, the erstwhile engineer left with something far more interesting: a long-forgotten, incomplete schematic for a Gyrocopter, the world’s first manned, non-magical flying device. Retiring to the tropical obscurity of the Ash Archipelago with little else but time and money, he set to work building the device. As the years wore on and the remains of failed prototypes began to pile up, he began to wonder if mechanical flight was even possible. A decade and a day after his retirement, on a sunny afternoon with a southerly breeze, Aurel sat in his latest attempt bristling with indignation and expectant failure. With a grunt of effort he pulled the ignition cord and covered his head, waiting for the inevitable explosion. However to his great surprise he began to lift and, following a few panicked adjustments, stabilize. Within an hour, he was ducking and weaving with the breeze, level with the gulls, and Aurel found himself filled with the breathless wonder of flight. As dusk settled in he set a course back to his workshop, but no sooner had he turned his craft when a cannonball tore through his tailfin. Disentangling himself from the wreckage, he swam toward the nearest piece of land in sight, and cursed to see the ship responsible for the cannonball collecting the debris. Days later, when Aurel returned to his workshop, he set to work on yet another gyrocopter, this one capable of carrying a much heavier, more dangerous payload.|
|Voice:||Nolan North (Responses)|
- Rocket Barrage interrupts Gyrocopter's channeling spells upon cast.
- Despite the visual effects, the damage is dealt instantly, rather than on each rocket's impact.
- Gyrocopter can act freely during Rocket Barrage.
- Does not fire rockets while Gyrocopter is hidden.
- Deals damage in 0.1 second intervals, resulting in 30 damage instances.
- Can deal a total of 210/360/510/660 ( 540/690/840/990) damage (before reductions), assuming all rockets hit.
- When Cast, a stationary missile is placed 150 range in front of Gyrocopter, which begins to move 3 seconds later.
- Homing Missile's initial speed is 500 and increases by 20 per second, growing by 1 every 0.05 seconds.
- The speed acceleration is not capped, and continues to increase until it hits the target or is destroyed.
- If the missile's target dies, it automatically switches to the nearest valid target within 700 range of the previous target.
- Only attacks from heroes, illusions (counting as heroes), towers, and the fountains (counting as towers) can damage the missile.
- The crosshair over the target is visible to allies only.
- If the missile hits its target, its 400 range flying vision stays at the location for 3.5 seconds.
- The missile can be targeted by Force Staff and Hurricane Pike, pushing the rocket forwards (or backwards).
- The missile cannot impact the target during the forced movement, and passes through, reorients, and continues to chase the target.
- When the missile gets affected by Chronosphere it gets instantly destroyed.
- Flak Cannon interrupts Gyrocopter's channeling spells upon cast.
- Causes Gyrocopter to perform instant attacks on all nearby enemies whenever he launches an attack projectile.
- This means all projectiles are released at the same time together with the main attack.
- Therefore, it does not matter whether the primary attack misses or not, the flaks are still released.
- The flaks have no count limit. All valid nearby targets get attacked.
- Flaks are not launched when the Side Gunner attacks.
- The primary attack target is not affected by Flak Cannon. It is only hit by the primary attack.
- The projectiles from the instant attacks travel at a speed of 800.
- Unlike most other instant attacks, the ones from Flak Cannon may not proc any attack modifiers or on-hit effects.
- Does not target couriers, wards, buildings, invisible units, or units inside the Fog of War.
- However, attacking couriers, wards, buildings, or allied units still causes flaks to hit all valid targets within the radius.
- The number of attacks left is visible (to everyone) on the buff icon.
- The first missile impacts 2 seconds and the second missile 4 seconds after cast.
- Provides 300 radius flying vision at the targeted area for 4 seconds upon cast.
- Can deal a total of 300/425/550 damage (before reductions), assuming both missiles hit.
- The big red area indicator is visible to allies only, but the sound effects are audible and the missiles visible to everyone.
- Requires Aghanim's Scepter in the active inventory, or an Aghanim's Scepter Synth buff to be unlocked.
- The Side Gunner is not bound to any of Gyrocopter's spells and is not visible in the HUD. However, its values are in Call Down's description.
- The Side Gunner performs an instant attack in the set interval. Its target is chosen completely randomly.
- Since it uses instant attacks, it neither interferes with the regular attacks, nor does it use animations. It also ignores disarms.
- It does not interfere with any other actions of Gyrocopter either. It still attacks while e.g. stunned or while channeling.
- The gunner can proc any attack modifier or any on-hit effect like a regular attack, except for Flak Cannon.
- The gunner can miss to evasion or if Gyrocopter is blinded, unless he has True Strike.
- The Side Gunner uses the same 3000 projectile speed as Gyrocopter's attack.
- The Side Gunner does not attack when Gyrocopter is hidden, invisible, or affected by Break.
- However, the gunner ignores fade times and fade delays of spells. It only does not attack when fully invisible.
- The Side Gunner does not attack wards and couriers, but does attack buildings. Only attacks units Gyrocopter has vision over.
- Side Gunner attack speed and range are not affected by anything.
|Global Call Down||25||3 Homing Missile Charges|
|-25s Call Down Cooldown||20||+50 Movement Speed|
|+11 Rocket Barrage Damage||15||+3 Flak Cannon Attacks|
|+200 Health||10||+25 Damage|
- Upgrading health increases maximum health capacity and keeps the current health percentage.
- The attack damage is added as bonus attack damage, and therefore does not benefit illusions.
- Tango gives Gyrocopter regen to counter early harassment.
- Healing Salve gives a helpful burst heal to help stay in lane.
- Iron Branch gives cheap early stats, and can be consumed with a tango for extra regen.
- Faerie Fire helps with last hits.
- Slippers of Agility gives a decent agility boost.
- Boots of Speed quickly can allow Gyrocopter to get early kills with his Rocket Barrage.
- Magic Stick can save Gyrocopter in a pinch.
- Wraith Band gives good early stats.
- Town Portal Scroll can save Gyrocopter or help him assist another lane.
- Ring of Aquila gives cheap damage and a modest amount of Mana Regen to allow him to use Flak Cannon more often.
- Phase Boots give extra damage for Flak Cannon and makes it as an escape mechanism or chasing heroes to get a kill.
- Dragon Lance greatly improves Gyrocopter's short attack range and offers cost efficient stats.
- Black King Bar is usually needed to make full use of Flak Cannon without being interrupted.
- Hurricane Pike is a natural extension to Dragon Lance, giving Gyrocopter more mobility, and can be used to push the Homing Missile to hit the target faster.
- Morbid Mask is a cheap way to keep his health up during jungling, and provides a modest amount of damage too.
- Helm of the Dominator gives Gyrocopter a source of health regen, and many neutral creeps have useful auras to make farming and pushing easier.
- Shadow Blade can be purchased for ganking or escape purposes, and can be upgraded to Silver Edge to counter troublesome passive abilities.
- Aghanim's Scepter allows Gyrocopter to continue attacking even when disabled, and gives more attacks which can proc attack modifiers.
- Sange and Yasha provides a good mix of tankiness and chasing ability.
- Boots of Travel helps Gyrocopter be present at every fight.
- Manta Style is good for pushing, and disjointing projectiles.
- Satanic is the natural supplemental item to make Gyrocopter with multiple damage items able to survive longer in late-game teamfights, while also providing a decent damage boost itself.
- Daedalus multiplies well with Flak Cannon, increasing Gyrocopter's damage significantly. It also gives him a chance on inflicting critical hits on his primary target.
- Monkey King Bar gives Gyrocopter a strong damage source, which also provides a chance to mini-bash and gives his main attack and attacks from Flak Cannon True Strike.
- Butterfly's evasion makes Gyrocopter significantly harder to take down, and allows him to go head to head against harder carries.
- Divine Rapier is the be-all end-all in terms of damage for Gyrocopter. In combination with Flak Cannon it can decimate the entire enemy team within seconds. But it is also a risky purchase and should only be bought when Gyrocopter is sufficiently tanky or as a last resort in dealing with an overwhelming enemy advantage.
- Aurel Vlaicu was a Romanian pioneer of early flight.
- Gyrocopter's response upon meeting Viper Play "Holy shit, it's Viper!" is a reference to a scene of the movie Top Gun.
- Gyrocopter's helmet is similar to Gaetan "The Mole" Moliere's headgear from Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
Model and icons before the November 21, 2013 Patch