- reduces Grimstroke's magical nuke damage.
- deals massive damage to Grimstroke because of his large mana pool.
- can potentially out-heal the damage over time from Ink Swell and Phantom's Embrace.
- can break Soul Bind if used correctly.
- dispels the stun from Ink Swell, and greatly reduces Soulbind's duration.
- can turn the tables on enemies trying to get close to stun with Ink Swell.
- helps Phoenix escape the slow from Stroke of Fate's and Soulbind.
- protects Phoenix from spell damage during Soulbind.
- 's passive invisibility destroys Phantom's Embrace even when Riki is silenced.
- prevents Grimstroke from shielding himself with Ink Swell.
- allows Rubick to claim Grimstroke's powerful abilities for his own, all of which are valuable.
- increases the efficacy of stolen abilities.
- instantly removes Phantom Embrace, and can potentially save allies affected by Soulbind.
- dispels Ink Swell.
- punishes Grimstroke for spamming Stroke of Fate.
- takes Grimstroke out of team fights entirely.
- Sniper's position in the far back line makes him unlikely to be hit by any of Grimstroke's abilities during teamfights.
- Sniper is relatively unaffected by the silence from Phantom's Embrace.
- Sniper's long range and fast projectile speed allows him quickly to destroy any Phantoms attacking his allies.
- breaks one ally out of Soulbind, and can be used to redistribute the shared damage to Vengeful Spirit herself.
- Heroes with powerful spammable abilities will prove problematic for Grimstroke as Ink Swell does not protect him from them: , , ,
- Heroes with mobility spells can quickly escape from Stroke of Fate or break out of Soulbind: , , ,
- blocks all of Grimstroke's magical damage, protects against spells transferred by Soulbind, and causes Phantom's Embrace to end upon activation.
- reflects Phantom's Embrace and Soulbind back to Grimstroke.
- helps allies break free from Soulbind.
- and its components greatly reduce Grimstroke's magical nuke damage.
- Stroke of Fate can deal heavy damage to Broodmother and her spiders, and with enough spiders it can kill her instantly.
- Phantom's Embrace provides vision on Broodmother when she's fleeing into the trees.
- Phantom's Embrace can silence Crystal Maiden and disrupt 's channeling. Her slow movement speed and fragile nature will also make her an easy target for Stroke of Fate and Ink Swell.
- Soulbind can target both Io and its ed ally, allowing Grimstroke and his team to target both with single target spells. Should Io try to , Phantom's Embrace can stop its channel to prevent escape.
- amplifies damage taken from all of Grimstroke's abilities. Necrophos is particularly vulnerable to Ink Swell and Phantom's Embrace while in Ghost Shroud.
- works against Necrophos in lane by keeping his creeps alive and add damage to Stroke of Fate.
- Stroke of Fate's damage increases the more units are hit by it, making it effective against Phantom Lancer's army of illusions.
- Phantom's Embrace and Ink Swell's stun can prevent Phantom Lancer from escaping with if properly timed.
- If he has already used Doppelganger, Soulbind can tie Phantom Lancer to one of his own illusions to keep him in place, or to ensure a kill if Grimstroke's team is unsure which one is the real hero.
- Terrorblade's lack of escape mechanisms makes it hard for him to escape both Ink Swell and Stroke of Fate.
- Phantom's Embrace's silence will also prevent him from casting to save himself.
- Timbersaw relies heavily on his abilities so Phantom's Embrace's silence makes it more difficult for him.
- Timbersaw cannot use or attack the phantom during Phantom's Embrace, forcing him to take full damage and refreshes Phantom's Embrace's cooldown..
- Phantom's Embrace and Soulbind prevent Weaver from using or to escape.
- Ink Swell discourages Weaver from moving through and damaging allies with .
- Heroes with powerful channeling abilities are easily interrupted by Phantom's Embrace: , , , ,
- Heroes who rely heavily on melee attacks and lack early spell immunity are easily blocked and interrupted by Ink Swell: , , ,
Works well with...
- Enemies linked by Soulbind can be disabled together with or , allowing Bane to effectively simultaneously disable three heroes for a long duration.
- heals Bane for double the amount when used on enemies linked with Soulbind.
- cripples two enemies when linked with Soulbind.
- slows enemy attacks so they takes longer to destroy Phantom's Embrace, increasing the silence duration.
- provides a root for Grimstroke to land Stroke of Fate, and with Soulbind, roots two enemies at once. The disarm also prevents enemies from attacking Phantom's Embrace.
- Soulbind slows and keeps two heroes close together, allowing to spawn two projectiles and bounce repeatedly.
- deals heavy damage to two enemies when they're linked with Soulbind.
- stuns both enemies linked with Soulbind if Lion targets an enemy hero instead of the ground.
- hexes two enemies when they're linked by Soulbind.
- deals heavy damage to two enemies when they're linked with Soulbind.
- may nuke and kill two enemy heroes when used with Soulbind.
- 's movement speed slow may help Grimstroke land Stroke of Fate.
- slows enemy attacks so they take longer time to destroy Phantom's Embrace, increasing the silence duration and chance to complete the nuke.
- Enemies may have to choose between attacking or Phantom's Embrace.
- Soulbind limits the enemies' movements so Phoenix can land its area abilities.
- Enemies linked by Soulbind are easier targets for , and both enemies are affected by and .
- Grimstroke's slows keep enemies within range of .
- amplifies the damage of Grimstroke's magical nukes, and can be used to protect the latched phantom from Phantom's Embrace, guaranteeing the full duration of its silence and damage.
- can also be used defensively, before or after Ink Swell, to further protect an ally against attacks.
- Ink Swell's move speed bonus makes it easier for Slark to land , and its damage/stun helps Slark quickly kill his target.
- Slark's makes it much easier to land Ink Swell.
- stuns twice as much when used on an enemy linked with Soulbind.
- 's high damage can quickly take out two enemies linked with Soulbind.
- Heroes with strong single-target abilities will amplify their effect with Soulbind: , , , , ,
- Heroes with invisibility can help Grimstroke land Ink Swell's stun: , ,
- Heroes with movement speed boost can help Grimstroke land Ink Swell's stun: , ,
- Heroes with movement speed slow can help Grimstroke land Ink Swell's stun: , ,
- Heroes with area abilities can keep dealing damage to enemies immobilized by Soulbind: , , , ,
- Heroes with abilities that demand the enemies to focus their attacks can distract them from destroying Phantom's Embrace: , ,
- Heroes that are generally offensive in nature, since Grimstroke tends to work well with highly aggressive gameplay.
- disarm on the enemies so they cannot attack Phantom's Embrace. Soulbind also allows users to disarm two enemies at once. applies
- 's burst magical damage doubles with Soulbind.
- helps heroes land Ink Swell's stun.